Names of the Lord Mayors of Ruardean? (General)

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Wednesday, October 05, 2005, 01:12 (6786 days ago)

Looking through the thread of the Lord Mayors of Ruardean
http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=414
we seem to have established the names of 4 of them:

Jack WILCE - 1911
William ALLAWAY
Kia MILES - 1947 -
Jimmy WHITTINGTON - 1950s

Does anyone have names of any of the other Lord Mayors?

Picture of the Bells Pub Skittle Team Ruardean which includes Klah Miles
http://forest-of-dean.net/gallery/ruardean/

Ruardean to revive its Lord Mayor tradition

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Friday, October 07, 2005, 06:42 (6784 days ago) @ admin

Michael Gwilliam kindly sent us this article that was published in The Forester only a few days ago. In contacting the Newspaper they have given us permission to reproduce it on our Website.

29 September 2005
The ancient office of Lord Mayor of Ruardean is to be revived this weekend.

A Sergeant-at-Arms has been appointed and three hapless parishioners have been "charged" to appear at the Mayor's Court in the Village Hall on Saturday. "This is an honorary office that is very much part of Ruardean's history," said local councillor Reg Duberley.......

Read the full article at:
http://forest-of-dean.net/joomla/stories-and-articles Ruardean_Lord_Mayors

Names of the Lord Mayors of Ruardean?

by May @, Thursday, November 02, 2006, 13:57 (6392 days ago) @ admin

Re-reading the book "Forest Humour" by Harry Beddington, who is one of my favourite local authors I came across this piece about the Ruardean Mayors which I hope you will all enjoy. Harry Beddington writes just as he used to talk, and my copy of the book is a lovely record of the Forest dialect which I treasure.

" I once invited Syliva Lamond, a London journalist who we knew well, ta come wi I ta the Ruardin Lard Mayor's Court which used ta meet fairly regular. Thay'd got zum good cases on thic evenin an' thic club room at The Angel were vull.

'Er loved it an' put a good article in Reveille the next wik. Ev'rybody in Ruardin were gwain round wi' a copy stuffed in thair pockuts.

Er'd mentioned what I tawld 'er, 'that the Lard Mayor was allus the tallest mon in the village an' was elected ver life' an' 'er'd referred to'n as a "tall hatchet-faced individual."

Tim Brain were walkin' down the village a day ar two a'ter an' met the Lard Mayor isself comin' up. 'Im stopped awld Tim an' exed un "'ast thou zin thic article in thic paper?" an' when awld Tim tawld un 'Oye' 'im exed un a bit anxiously "Well dost thou think my face da look like a hatchut?"

Tim look un over carevul an' shook 'is yud. "Well" 'im zed thoughtfully "I 'ouldn't zay 'im da look like a 'hatchut but anybody ould be vorgiven ver thinkin' 'im 'ad bin trimmed out wi' one.""

I wonder which of the mayors he is referring to, and if there is a copy of the article in The Reveille anywhere.

by sylviamorgan @, Friday, November 03, 2006, 06:34 (6392 days ago) @ May

Hi
William ALLAWAY was my great grandfather and one of the"lord mayors" Can anyone tell me where I could buy a copy of the book mentioned
Sylvia

by TERRY JAMES, Friday, November 03, 2006, 10:19 (6392 days ago) @ sylviamorgan

SYLVIA
I WOULD KEEP AN EYE OUT ON EBAY IVE SEEN THEM FOR SALE ON THE FOREST OF DEAN SECTION
GOOD LUCK
TERRY

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, November 03, 2006, 12:18 (6391 days ago) @ sylviamorgan

Forest Humour
by Harry Beddington
Unknown Binding: 160 pages
Publisher: The Forest of Dean Newspapers (1977)
ISBN: 095060450X

you can also find copies via Amazon

by sylviamorgan @, Friday, November 03, 2006, 21:23 (6391 days ago) @ slowhands

Hi
My thanks to Terry JAMES and Slowhands for their replies
Sylvia

Forest Humour

by TERRY JAMES, Saturday, December 16, 2006, 09:47 (6349 days ago) @ sylviamorgan

SYLVIA
THERE`S A COPY OF FOREST HUMOUR THAT YOU WERE AFTER ON EBAY AT THE MOMENT
GO IN TO EBAY AND TYPE FOREST OF DEAN I HOPE YOUR LUCKY
TERRY JAMES

Forest Humour

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Sunday, December 17, 2006, 10:52 (6347 days ago) @ TERRY JAMES

[Copied then deleted the content below from new thread by sylviamorgan so it what associated with Terry's message above - admin]

Reply sent by sylviamorgan

Hi Terry
Thanks for your reply
Sylvia

RSS Feed of thread