The History of the Hale Family of Ruardean and Nailbridge (General)

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Sunday, October 23, 2005, 08:47 (6763 days ago)

The history of the Hale family is truly fascinating. It follows the lives of
hard-working men who strove to provide a home and support for those for whom
they were responsible.

The family have been traced back to the years after the civil war and their
story begins in the late years of the seventeenth Century. In the year 1695 in
the small ancient township of Ruardean.

Born in the year 1800 Cornelius Hale began his Blacksmith's business in
Nailbridge which was the start of the Hale dynasty. Today the Blacksmiths shop
is still easily identifiable standing between the present-day Hale and Co.,
showrooms and the row of cottages and is currently undergoing some internal
changes so it can once again be utilised, this time for the kitchens and
bathrooms department of the business.

The Hale Family have kindly made the complete story available for all to
download and read, includes pictures of the Blacksmiths shop and the Sawmill.

http://forest-of-dean.net/joomla/stories-and-articles History_of_the_Hale_Family

Enjoy

The History of the Hale Family of Ruardean and Nailbridge

by Jim Ashton @, Weston Super Mare, England, Tuesday, October 25, 2005, 13:14 (6761 days ago) @ admin

Sam

I have this afternoon followed with great interest the History of the Hale Family, posted 22.10.2005.

I appear to break into this family via Margaret Bennett who married Thomas Hale b. 1731. The Margaret Bennett in my Family Tree was baptised 16.2.1733 Ruardean, daughter of John Bennett baptised 11.6.1684 Ruardean & Ann. John was son of Richard Bennett & Margaret Collier who married 20.10.1674.

Do you have any confirmation that this is the correct Margaret Bennett ?

My main interest is the Marfell family but I also trace the spouses of the female Marfell’s so my interest is spread to Meek’s, Brain’s, Bennett’s Hale’s, Roberts, Cowmeadow’s, Dubberley’s etc., etc. I usually record the siblings and parents of siblings even though they are not strictly related, they are of course “connected”, the information is often invaluable in establishing the correct census entry, and it is surprising how often these “connected” people eventually end up related by subsequent marriage.

I have another possible link with Clara Brain who (according to your history) married Frederick Hale. When going through your History of the Hale Family I noted that I had a Clara Brain that could be the same person, and having noted your photo gallery showing a Clara – also a photograph of John & Sarah Ann Brain who are the parents of the Clara in my Family Tree, I think it is probably the same person. In my Family Tree, this Clara had siblings Ronald George, Rowland, Ivor W, Albert T & Christopher. Ronald George Brain married Elizabeth Jane Cowmeadow, daughter of Cornelius Cowmeadow & Jane Hannah Marfell. From (my) Clara Brain’s father John, I can trace back a further 5 generations.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Jim Ashton

Clara Hale (Brain)

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Wednesday, October 26, 2005, 10:49 (6760 days ago) @ Jim Ashton

I am sure Sam will get back to you and confirm this but it does look almost certain that Clara Brain mentioned in the article is the same person that is in your family tree.

If you read the article which we have on the web site titled "Early Days of Jim Hale", he mentions "uncles Ron, Ivor and Chris Brain", which matches up with the names you have.

Hale History - Added two additional photos

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Tuesday, January 03, 2006, 10:02 (6691 days ago) @ admin

Two additional photos have been added on the last page of this wonderful story.

Hale and Co Shop how it used to look
Hale and Co Yard 2006

Hale and Co Drybrook/Nailbridge

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, January 10, 2006, 19:48 (6684 days ago) @ admin

For map location old/current and aerial photo
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/ co ords 364476,216531

The History of the Hale Family of Ruardean and Nailbridge

by Robert Williams, Saturday, March 18, 2006, 23:14 (6616 days ago) @ admin

I am seeking information about the Mr Cinderey, mentioned in this History, who donated the stone used to build the Forest Church. (see Cinderey family thread). Can any of the authors, or anyone else, help me please?
Thanks in advance.

Hale Builders yard Nailbridge - Fire 2009

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, June 13, 2009, 22:23 (5434 days ago) @ admin

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/forest/headlines/Hale-reopens/article-1057261-de...

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/forest/headlines/Blaze-hit-family-firm-vows-boun...

just to bring you up to date - there was a serious fire in some of the sheds recently

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

RSS Feed of thread