TYLER -- Newland (General)

by Diane Richard @, Raleigh, NC USA, Tuesday, November 01, 2005, 12:05 (6754 days ago)

Hello,

I have Elizabeth Tyler marrying William Roberts in 1817 in Newland. That's all I have. I would imagine that Newland was her parish, assuming they followed convention. They then moved to Llanellen Monmouth, where they remained.

So, any assistance with resources for Newland (beyond the obvious) and or the TYLER family ... would be greatly appreciated.

Diane :-)

TYLER -- Newland

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, November 01, 2005, 15:31 (6754 days ago) @ Diane Richard

They then moved to Llanellen Monmouth,

Can you share the census info to indicate approx year of birth as this might help find some more information

Thanks

TYLER -- Newland

by Diane Richard @, Raleigh, NC USA, Tuesday, November 01, 2005, 15:45 (6754 days ago) @ slowhands

Sorry about that ... age does help!

Elizabeth (Tyler) Roberts is listed as 50 in the 1841 census and deceased by the 1851 census -- do not have more than that. Husband, William Roberts, is also listed as 50 in 1841 and as 60 in 1861 ...

From the IGI and this is consistent with the 1841 census ... we find:
William Roberts and wife Elizabeth -- had the following children all christened in Llanellen. We know that his father was Henry and his mother Jane. I don't remember the naming convention and it seems they may have been following it and so one of the daughters could be Elizabeth's mother ... not enough sons for her father's name to be used ... or, it coincides with a name in William's family ....
Henry Roberts, christening 16 Mar 1818
William Roberts, christening 13 Feb 1820
Elizabeth Roberts, christening 30 Jun 1822
Jane Roberts, christening 22 Feb 1824
Mary Roberts, christening 3 Apr 1825
Anne Roberts, christening 7 Dec 1828
Martha Roberts, christening 7 Dec 1828, death 27 March 1829

That pretty much exhausts what I know ...

Thanks much,

TYLER -- Newland / West Dean 1851

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Wednesday, November 02, 2005, 22:34 (6752 days ago) @ Diane Richard

Here is a Tyler family living in Shortstanding nr Coleford ( Newland) who in 1841 would have been in Llanelly Breconshire.
< Llanelhly is probably the Llanelly just south of Crickhowell, rather than Llanellen, although they are only about 4 miles apart on the Breconshire/Monmouthshire border>

Next door are his parents reasonably extrapolation that this is a cousin to Elizabeth Tyler, and possible older brother next door.

TYLER George 43 Labourer Bicknor Glos
Elizabeth 42 Newland
Elizabeth 15 .Llanelhly Breconshire
John 12 ,Llanelhly Breconshire
George 7 Scholar Newland
William 5 West Dean
Charles 2 West Dean

TYLER George 72 Labourer Newland
Elizabeth 69 Bicknor
William 22 Newland

here is George Jnr.'s IGI entry

GEORGE TYLER
-----------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 21 AUG 1808 English Bicknor, Gloucester, England

--------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: GEORGE TYLER
Mother: ELIZABETH
----------------------------------------------------------------
Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.
The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C036082 1561 - 1798 0855608 Film 6900600 Film
C036082 1676 - 1812 0425412 Film NONE
Sheet: 00

here is George Snr.'s IGI entry

GEORGE TYLER
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 16 JAN 1778 Newland, Gloucester, England

---------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: JOHN TYLER
Mother: ELIZABETH
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
C036202 1560 - 1565 0423272 Film 6911882 Film
C036202 1583 - 1812 0425476 Film NONE

and George Snr's marriage....( after Elizabeth is born)

GEORGE TYLER
---------------------------------------------------
Marriages:
Spouse: ELIZABETH MEEK
Marriage: 12 SEP 1805 English Bicknor, Gloucester, England

------------------------------------------------------
Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record.
The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the marriage date.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
M036081 1754 - 1844 0855609 Film 6905381 Film

TYLER -- Newland / West Dean 1851

by Diane Richard @, Raleigh, NC USA, Thursday, November 03, 2005, 05:24 (6752 days ago) @ slowhands

It's interesting that the Newland records from which George Senior's christening is derived would cover Elizabeth and yet I don't see any Elizabeth listed as christened for Newland ... never mind parents of John & Elizabeth ... I have looked through the IGI for the Gloucester hits and using multimap haven't found one anywhere near Newland or Monmouthshire ...

Enough brain scratching for the moment ...

ROBERTS-- Coates nr Cirencester 1791

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Wednesday, November 02, 2005, 18:34 (6753 days ago) @ slowhands

1851 Cwm Celyn, LLanellen
William Roberts abt 1801 Coates, Gloucestershire, England Head Llanellen Monmouthshire
Henry Roberts abt 1818 Llanellen, Monmouthshire, Wales Son Llanellen Monmouthshire
Jane Matthew abt 1827 Llanellen, Monmouthshire, Wales Daughter Llanellen Monmouthshire
Walter Matthews abt 1826 Monmouthshire, Wales Son-in-law Llanellen Monmouthshire

<the image appears to give Williams age as 60 not 50 >

William Roberts abt 1790 Coates, Gloucestershire, England Head Llanellen Monmouthshire
Henry Roberts abt 1821 Llanellen, Monmouthshire, Wales Son Llanellen Monmouthshire
Mary Lavenia Roberts abt 1839 Saint Brevels, Gloucestershire, England Daughter-in-law Llanellen Monmouthshire

by Diane Richard @, Raleigh, NC USA, Wednesday, November 02, 2005, 20:16 (6753 days ago) @ slowhands

Yes, that's the family ... I realize that my previous post was a little muddled ..."brain fog" moment!

I know that William was born c. 1790 and so that's why I probably aged him in the earlier census ... w/o re-checking the facts!

The Walter Matthews and wife Jane Roberts Matthews is the the link to my husband!

The sticking point has been going backwards to figure out the Coates connection and the marriage of William to Elizabeth Tyler in 1817 in Newland ...

Thanks for puzzling over this with me!

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Wednesday, November 02, 2005, 20:45 (6753 days ago) @ Diane Richard

The sticking point has been going backwards to figure out the Coates >connection and the marriage of William to Elizabeth Tyler in 1817 in >Newland ...

Does the Tyler connection crop up elsewhere or is the marriage confirmed by other records ?

The Forest was a fairly closed community, so its interesting to get "an outsider" - Coates is more agricultural than industrial - and then moving on to Llanellen, intriguing..

by Diane Richard @, Raleigh, NC USA, Wednesday, November 02, 2005, 20:56 (6753 days ago) @ slowhands

Me again ...

I only have the marriage info and from someone who normally does not give me information unless he's confident of it's accuracy ... though, I believe it is from an index and not by looking at the Newland records themselves ... I have looked at NBI and there was definitely a Tyler family in Newland though none of the burial's listed were of individuals old enough to be parents of Elizabeth .... maybe the family moved to Coates?

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Wednesday, November 02, 2005, 20:38 (6753 days ago) @ slowhands

WILLIAM ROBERTS
--------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 22 FEB 1789 Coates By Cirencester, Gloucester, England
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: HENRY ROBERTS
Mother: JANE

-------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
C027561 1760 - 1812 0425380 Film 6911665 Film

by shepway @, Wednesday, November 02, 2005, 21:25 (6752 days ago) @ slowhands

Just a little to add to this. The GFHS Marriage Index gives this information:
20 May 1817 William ROBERTS of Llanellen married Elizabeth TILOR by Banns at Newland.

This suggests the ROBERTS family moved to Llanellen before that date.

Cheers
Mike

ROBERTS-- TYLER

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Wednesday, November 02, 2005, 22:46 (6752 days ago) @ shepway

Diane

a reasonable amount of work seems to have been gathered at

http://www.mosaicrpm.com/Roberts%20Family%20103105.pdf

ROBERTS-- TYLER

by Diane Richard @, Raleigh, NC USA, Thursday, November 03, 2005, 05:03 (6752 days ago) @ slowhands

That's me ... It's my husband's family and I post it on "my" web-site to try and attract some US individuals possibly interested in having me research their families :-)

by Diane Richard @, Raleigh, NC USA, Thursday, November 03, 2005, 05:05 (6752 days ago) @ shepway

That's probably the source of what I was given ... I wonder at Tilor versus Tyler ... I imagine just a variant issue ...

I have to pull out my map to see how close Llanellen and Newland are ... thanks for looking at that ...

ROBERTS-- TYLER

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Thursday, November 03, 2005, 05:55 (6752 days ago) @ shepway

Mike

my guess would be that the Roberts family had taken farm land in Llanellen and that Elizabeth Tyler /Tilor was perhaps working in service in the Llanellen area or, she was in the County town Monmouth, and he came to town on business or to market, and they met..

By custom they returned to Newland for the marriage and then back to the farm in Wales ...

Coleford to Llanellen is only approx 15 / 20 miles

S

by Diane Richard @, Raleigh, NC USA, Thursday, November 03, 2005, 05:11 (6752 days ago) @ slowhands

Yes ... that's the Roberts crew ... the first Henry (wife Jane) is the furthest back that I have, though, the NBI lists a Hester who is old enough to be a generation back ... haven't found any corresponding IGI entries though!

Thanks for helping me with these ROBERTS and TYLER (now TILOR ....) connections! Diane :-)

TYLER -- Newland

by danold @, Sunday, February 20, 2011, 20:44 (4817 days ago) @ Diane Richard

I am newish member and I have just come across the Diane Richards correspndence.
I have a copy of the will of an Elizabeth Tyler of Shortstanding dated 1817.
She names her three sons, William, George and Richard Tyler and two daughters Mary Frowen
and Betsy Tyler. Betsy [Elizabeth] almost certainly married William Roberts in 1817 at Newland. Her sister Mary [Frowen] was a witness at her wedding.
Mary married George Frowen at Newland in 1810. Her brother William was a witness at her wedding.
I am trying to establish whether or not the George Tyler above is the same as George Tyler who married Elizabeth Meek in 1805. The latter is my direct ancestor.
His family was listed by Slowhands in reply to Diane.
Regards
Danold

TYLER -- Newland

by buoygenealogy @, Saturday, March 26, 2011, 19:07 (4783 days ago) @ danold

Hello Danold

I've been very interested in your will by Elizabeth Tyler in 1817 and would like to see if I can obtain a copy of it, could you confirm where I can get it from please? Was it Gloucestershire Archives or the Forest of Dean Archives please? I'm happy to go up there to look at it.

Many thanks,

Jemima

TYLER -- Newland

by danold @, Saturday, March 26, 2011, 19:59 (4783 days ago) @ buoygenealogy

Hello Jemima,
I got the will from Gloucester Archives for £9.
I wrote to them using the following information.

Will of Elizabeth Tyler of Shortstanding
Collection Vizard and Son of Monmouth, solicitors
Section Testamentary and Trusts
FindingRef D637/ IV/ 8
Title Miscellaneous wills and copy wills
Date 1614-1872
Good luck.
D

RSS Feed of thread