Gold Mine at Lea Bailey (General)

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Friday, December 23, 2005, 17:27 (6698 days ago)

Another picture from Sam Hale, taken from the collection of his grandfather Jim.

http://forest-of-dean.net/gallery/hale_people/

---

Gold Mining at Lea Bailey was not a success and I haven't read much of Gold Mining in the Forest.

So it appears that there is some gold in the ground in the Forest but not enough to make mining gold into a successful venture!

Gold Mine at Lea Bailey

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, December 23, 2005, 18:30 (6698 days ago) @ admin

Lea Bailey has the "Bailey Level" which is driven into Wigpool just off the
junction of the Ross-Drybrook and Lea-Drybrook roads. About 1200 yards from the Euroclydon.

This level started off as a gold mine trial about 1906 by the Chastan Syndicate and was later
taken over by the Wigpool Iron and Coal Co. who drove it further in to the iron ore deposits.

The above text is from The Old Industries of the Dean by David Bick (publisher: Douglas Mclean 1980)

Before you rush off to start digging - only about 6 grains per ton were found, not the same level
as you find in the South African mines !! I'll check the mineral rights associated with Free Mining
but I think Gold could belong to the Crown....

In June 2002 the possibility of opening it as a Tourist attraction was discussed in the Forest Development plan. In Feb 2005 planning permission was sought.....

SO 6480 1980 Bailey Level nr Drybrook

source
The Mines of the Forest of Dean
by Tony Oldham

reproduced at
http://www.copsewood.org/mining/books/oldham/fod_02.htm

Gold Mine at Lea Bailey

by tuffers64, Cinderford, Wednesday, December 04, 2019, 14:42 (1604 days ago) @ slowhands

This a bit late but only coal and iron ore come under the Free mining rights. Clearwell Caves own the Lea Bailey Level now. Ray Wright (co-owner, now deceased) claimed he was going to allow people to pan for gold at this place, under free mining rights. However, he was jumped upon by John Harvey, the Deputy Gaveller, and told he had to apply to the Crown to specifically mine any gold. Dave Tuffley, Free Miner

RSS Feed of thread