Traders advertisements form 1930's Forest Guide (General)

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Friday, December 23, 2005, 22:14 (6704 days ago)

http://forest-of-dean.net/gallery/fod_guide/

Our very good friend Slowhands has dug deep in his treasure chest and has come up with this gem from the 1930s.

It is Traders advertisements form 1930's Forest Guide. Some of you may recognise family or friends from these adverts, some may recognise establishments still around in one shape or form, such as Millend House and Littledean House Hotel.

And as for two digit telephone numbers, you can see how far we have we have progressed in the last eighty years.

If anybody has connections with any of the people that are listed, please let us know.

Enjoy

Background

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, December 26, 2005, 15:47 (6702 days ago) @ admin

A few months ago , some observations were expressed that this (family history / message board) was not only about Census entries.

Whole heartedly agreed with the sentiment, my only defence is that modern technology has brought rapid access to the 1841 - 1901 data, and hence the quickest information that "we" can feedback to your questions is that data.

My own interest is much broarder, how did our ancestiors live, what was the quality of life, what work was done, innovations, social structure, as well as the topographic / mapping etc....

So by chance when I came across this 1930's Forest Guide, aimed at Visitors to the area, I felt it interesting to share the adverts placed by local traders, in the hope that it might offer some links for modern researchers, and also would give a snapshot of "life" at that time, all be it perhaps the view that Visitors might get rather than a gritty view of life in a tunnel at Lightmoor.

So as an example, The Little dean House is advertising accomodation for about 60/- ( shillings) /week. Today that would be , £3.00 ( without allowing for inflation). My best info is that a similar room last summer would have cost £60/night , or say £300.00 /week.

Simple arithmetic puts that as a 100 fold increase over eighty years ( just one example so this is not a valid economic indicator !!!)

One other example the Guide cost 6d ( pence) 2.5p in current Stirling, so using the 100 fold uplift £2.50 today, which is probably in the order that a simple small guide might cost you . ( Incidentally I paid much more than that in the Hay on Wye bookshop, on my "rescue" mission )

regards
S

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Genealogy or Family History?

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Monday, December 26, 2005, 19:31 (6701 days ago) @ admin

People use the terms 'genealogy' and 'family history' interchangeably but they
actually have a different meaning.

Genealogy, the study of ancestry and descent, refers more to the actual search
for ancestors, while family history, the narrative of the events in your
ancestors' lives, denotes the telling of your family's story.

To me it is all well and good getting names and dates of my ancestors but the
real part I enjoy is finding out where they lived, what kind of work they did
and how they overcame the adversities of their time.

RSS Feed of thread