Where is Ann Thorn(e) in 1841 GLS Census? (General)

by Russell Thorne, Friday, January 06, 2006, 01:18 (6691 days ago)

Is anyone able to tell me where Ann Thorn(e) is listed in the 1841 Gloucestershire census?
She died as a widow age 64 in October 1842 to John Thorne at Arams near Newnham in the Forest of Dean. She was in 1842 with her son (also John) and his wife Amelia Thorn(e). I have looked in this Newnham area for her in the 1841 without success, she was not with her son earlier in 1841 so wonder if she was somewhere in the surrounding county.
I do not know when her husband John died but would like to know where in the GLS census she was in 1841 and if she was born in the county.
Thanks for any leads,
Russell Thorne
New Zealand

Arams, Ruddle - Blaize Bailey or Newnham ??

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, January 06, 2006, 17:30 (6690 days ago) @ Russell Thorne

I cant spot them in my 1841 set yet, Not sure if they will be in Newnham or Blaize Bailey, Census/Parish boundaries can sometimes be a little tricky to judge.

Any way from later Census data it looks like Amelia is from St Mary de Crypt / Hempstead Gloucester and husband John from Stogumber Somerset.

IGI hints at Ann Thorn coming from Stogumber North Somerset, and John potentially married twice in Gloucestershire opposite Newnham ( in the great Horseshoe Bend) so maybe Ann Thorn was living in the East side of the Severn ??? say Arlingham

John Thorne
-------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: 19 sep 1809
Christening: 1809 Stogumber, Somerset, England
-------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: John Thorne c 1778
Mother: Mrs Anne Thorne
married about 1804 Stowgumber
--------------------------------------------
Marriages:
Marriage: About 1836 Elworthy, Somerset, England

John THORNE
----------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: 19 SEP 1809 Stogumber, Somerset, England
--------------------------------------------
Marriages:
Spouse: Elizabeth Drewe
Marriage: 13 DEC 1830 Fretherne, Gloucester, England

JOHN THORNE
--------------------------------------------------------
Marriages:
Spouse: AMELIA BONE
Marriage: 15 MAY 1836 Arlingham, Gloucester, England
-----------------------------------------------------
Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record.
The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the marriage date.
------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
M026571 1756 - 1812 0417107 Film 6911633 Film
M026571 1813 - 1882 0856935 Film NONE
Sheet: 00

regards
S

Arams, Ruddle - Blaize Bailey or Newnham ??

by R Thorne @, New Zealand, Saturday, January 07, 2006, 00:39 (6690 days ago) @ slowhands

Thank you Slowhands,
I believe Arams to be the name of a farm, Ruddle and Blaize Bailey to be localities all in close proximity in the Forest of Dean to the south west of Newnham where the family lived at various times post 1841. You have correctly found information supplied by myself and other family relations in Arlingham and Stogumber where the family lived prior to 1837. I have not been able to find any trace of her in Arlingham area in 1841. My hope was since she died at Arams farms near Ruddle in October 1842, then she must be somewhere else in GLS during the previous census year, it would seems that she may not have been to GLS at all and living perhaps back in Somerset following the earlier death of her husband prior to 1842.
Thank you for your input,
Russell

Arams, Ruddle -

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, January 07, 2006, 02:07 (6690 days ago) @ R Thorne

The Aram family lived in Ruddle from about the 15th Century on the slope leading up to Blaise Bailey. I think it was the Head estate at one time, but became known as Aram's. ..

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/
co ords 367998,210995

The building was at one stage two dwellings - Arams and the Lodge(?) - today it is a single dwelling, and looks like it could be 17th century.

Arams, Ruddle -

by R Thorne @, New Zealand, Saturday, January 07, 2006, 03:14 (6690 days ago) @ slowhands

This is most interesting to me, the John and Amelia Thorne family lived in the Ruddle area for 20 years before most of the next generation came to New Zealand from 1860. I have tried to find manorial? documents for Arams farm in the GLS Public Record Office during a UK trip five years ago but my search was constrained by time. I did find that John Thorne (a tanner) was at that period tenant/occupier at Arams and that the landlord was Walter Taylor whose Arams farm total holding was 39 acres 1 rood 33 perches.(1841 plan number IR 30/13/141). I was not bold enough then to arrive on a farm doorstep uninvited and ask what his likely connection with Arams farm might have been. I understand that the bark of trees in the forest was very suitable for the tanning process used then and indeed the 1891 map shows an "Underhill Tannery" between Ruddle and Newnham, whose current status is unknown to me.

Arams, Ruddle - tanning

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, January 07, 2006, 04:54 (6690 days ago) @ R Thorne

The farm on the main Lydney - Gloucester road near to Arams ( before the rail bridge)is still called Tanhouse Farm today.

Underhill was on the Newnham side of the rail bridge and cease work as a tannery in the 1920's. I drove thru' last weekend, the farm buildings may still be there.

Traditional vegtable tanning uses bark for the tannin and is a long natural process. Oak - of which the Forest had plenty - would be the obvious choice for the bark. The leather produced is flexible and would often be used in luggage and furniture.

Where is Ann THORN(e) in 1841 GLS Census? not here

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Wednesday, June 06, 2007, 22:00 (6174 days ago) @ Russell Thorne

1841 Arams
John Thom abt 1811 Newnham Gloucestershire
Amelia Thom abt 1816 Gloucestershire, England Newnham Gloucestershire
George Thom abt 1837 Gloucestershire, England Newnham Gloucestershire
Hannah Thom abt 1832 Gloucestershire, England Newnham Gloucestershire
Jane Thom abt 1839 Gloucestershire, England Newnham Gloucestershire
John Thom abt 1835 Gloucestershire, England Newnham Gloucestershire
Saul Thom abt 1826 Newnham Gloucestershire

RSS Feed of thread