Edward Prince, born 1490 in Lydney (General)

by Lacy W. Prince @, Tuesday, January 24, 2006, 05:30 (6676 days ago)

Lookinf for any information on Edward Prince, born 1490 in Lydney, England.
Any help is appreaciated.

Thanks

Edward Prince, born 1490 in Lydney

by azrael_ravenfire, Thursday, March 20, 2008, 09:23 (5890 days ago) @ Lacy W. Prince

Lacy,
I am also looking for information on Edward Prince of Lydney and later from Bristol. It appears that he moved to the Americas before 1659. Here he had a family that has trickled down to me. It appears that he died in 1675 in Surrey County in what is now Virginia, USA. He was married to Mary Yate or Yates of Bristol. Hope my information helped you.

Joseph William Prince
Allentown, Pennsylvania, USA

by dserafine1, Saturday, March 18, 2017, 18:48 (2605 days ago) @ Lacy W. Prince

Edward Prince born 1490 is my 13 paternal g grandfather. i have been researching this family line for 10 yrs and would be happy to share what info i have on the family. i do have an edward prince as immigrating to charles city, virginia in 1635 this is around the richmond areas and there were many of the family to be settled in surry, va. also. after me to move backwards, my father was born in lawrence county, kentucky with my 4th great grandfather and his family migrating from russell county, virginia w/8 kids to lawrence county, kentucky.
donna

by MPGriffiths @, Saturday, March 18, 2017, 19:30 (2605 days ago) @ dserafine1

Men in Armour for Gloucestershire 1608 is a list of able bodied men fit to fight.

http://www.coaley.net

A few Prince inc William Prince Snr in Lydney

There is an Edward Prince a Shoemaker at Dursley aged around 20 of lower stature. Looking at the Help Page as he was of lower stature he was fit to serve with a Caliver. Also Edward Prince aged 40 at Dursley and a Shoemaker.

The Gloucestershire Genealogical Database has Wills listed for Lydney

Prence
Prynce
Prince

On Rootsweb Archives Prince 2006 is an abstract of the Will Of William Prince of Lydney 1614

by dserafine1, Wednesday, September 06, 2017, 19:39 (2433 days ago) @ dserafine1

I would be interested in connecting with any "Prince" family still living in Lydney areas or connecting areas close by. There are many family member in this Prince family line that are buried in the St. Mary's the Virgin churchyard, or as my 10x gr grandfather is inside the church in an isle. It is told he was a man of means, he owned land. He is William Prince (1584-1630) married to Ann. His son Edward was the 1st to immigrate, he came to U.S. in 1635 to the area of Charles City, Virginia. As the families grew, they later started migrating westward into the state of Kentucky, namely the County of Lawrence. This is where my father, his father and so on were from. If there is anyone who lives in this close area that would volunteer to check out the graveyard there for graves of any of this family it would be so appreciated. I am willing to help with info also.

by Oshynlover, Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 22:37 (2420 days ago) @ dserafine1

I have been researching for any information on Edward Prince as well. He is my 14th Great Grandfather. I don't have a wife listed but I see that he had a son, John Edward Prince 1525? There is so many conflicting information that I have found. I am trying to figure out what is what! :)

by Molly Prince, Monday, January 08, 2024, 01:53 (119 days ago) @ dserafine1

Have you learned any more about Edward Prince who is believed to have immigrated to surrey/ Charles city county, Va? I might be going to Lydney and Bristol and would be interested in following the trail of information. Thanks so much, Molly Prince

by Nick Dub @, Monday, January 08, 2024, 11:14 (118 days ago) @ Molly Prince

I found this WikiTree entry, which you may already have seen :

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Prince-3297

My experience has been that finding any reliable info pre-1700 is very hit-and-miss. Relevant records, if they ever existed, have mostly been lost.

Good luck

Nick

by anthonyworgan @, Tuesday, January 16, 2024, 13:18 (110 days ago) @ Nick Dub

A word of caution, give WikiTree a very wide berth. I looked at this site last year and found many errors concerning my own WORGAN and WINTLE ancestors.

A bit annoying to see all these mistakes especially when I have spent over 45 years of careful research, checking original documents at the National Archives, Gloucester Record Office, the Society of Genealogists in London etc and of course, this wonderful site for accurate data.

by Molly Prince, Sunday, February 11, 2024, 18:11 (84 days ago) @ Nick Dub

Thank you very much!

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, January 08, 2024, 16:56 (118 days ago) @ Molly Prince

? Just for info and searching the National Archives (searching for PRYNCE with a Y and not and I)

Held by: Gloucestershire Archives
Date: 1543
Referene: GDR/B4/3/884

John QUARRE, vicar v Thos STANNOLDE, John DUNNING, John PRYNCE (all of LYDNEY): Tithe

Gloucester Diocesan Records . CONSISTORY COURT. Tithe and Cases Relating to Church Fabric and Maintenance.
NEWLAND

(2 docs).

-----

252 'Hits' just searching for PRYNCE on the National Archives.

Just Google A2a - this takes one directory of searching on the website.

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, January 08, 2024, 17:23 (118 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Gloucestershire Records Office

Will : DATED 1570 John PRYNCE Parish Lydney - Yeoman.

by Molly Prince, Sunday, February 11, 2024, 18:12 (84 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thank you!

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, January 08, 2024, 17:31 (118 days ago) @ Molly Prince

Just had a very quick look on GOOGLE BOOKS

Searched: PRYNCE, Lydney

----

Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, of the Reign of Henry VIII

12 JAN 1539

The confession of Edw. DONNYNG and Edw. PRYNCE of Lydney, Gloucestershire, husbandman, before Hen. Earl of Worcester, 3 Jan 30 Hen VIII.

etc. etc.

-----

Might be useful!!! Seems there was a family name of Edward in Lydney

---

Also: The History of Tewkesbury - printed 1830

Mentions: Jeffrey GOUGHE, by Will, in 1525 bequeathed his body to Tewkesbury churchyard, but mentions John PRYNCE of Tewkesbury in 1524 mentions appurtenances in Awre, Etloe, Blakeney and Lydney etc.

---

by Nick Dub @, Tuesday, January 09, 2024, 20:07 (117 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Good Info on Princes/Prynces in Lydney, now all that is needed is a way of linking the generations into a solid Family Tree.

This looks a lot like the Worgan info I've been working on. Never seems to be quite enough to arrive at any firm conclusions. Still, you never know, more info keeps surfacing on the net.

Happy hunting.

RSS Feed of thread