The Pound Ruardean (General)

by Sylvia Morgan @, Sunday, February 19, 2006, 00:20 (6643 days ago)

I had an intersting answer to my query about the Pound Ruardean and was asked to enter it into this message board.

"The pound Ruardean still exists today but theses days the Pound is just an open area in front of the old(disused Congregational Chapel. The public Conveniences are situated there. There used to be houses on the opposite side of the road but they are long gone.

Techniically Ruardean is not part of the Forest of Dean(The hundreds of St. Briavels)which itself is noteworthy, as it the reason why sheep were not allowed. "The Pound" was the place where any straying sheep were impounded, but i have never known sheep to wander around Ruardean as elsewher in the forest. forest sheep are clever critturs(tongue in cheek)-they seem to know where the boundary is between the Pludds and Ruardean!

There also used to be a field just up the lane opposite the church referred to as the Pound, belonging to Toby GRIFFITHS"

Sylvia

The Pound Ruardean

by Gill Macmillan @, NSW Australia, Saturday, February 25, 2006, 18:54 (6636 days ago) @ Sylvia Morgan

Just to add to what you have already found out about the Pound.. Mum recalls the Pound as the road from the top of Cats Hill along to Knights the Bakery.

There were 3 cottages on the Post Office side (& 2 on the adjacent side, but not opposite) Mum remembers the Chapel & also that a brook used to run through the area, draining from Hooksaw Meadow. Walking up through this meadow would bring you to Ruardean School.

The Street- Mum thinks could be the High Street which ran from St Johns Church to the top of Cats Hill

The Pound Ruardean

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, February 25, 2006, 23:34 (6636 days ago) @ Gill Macmillan

Althought not marked as such- I suspect its is here near the pond.

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

Co-ords 361846,217623

The Pound Ruardean

by May @, Sunday, February 26, 2006, 01:10 (6636 days ago) @ Sylvia Morgan

The meadow behind the Chapel was always "wet", evidenced by the bull rushes that grew there. John thinks the water came from the spout in Caudle Lane, as well as off the meadow, which Gill's mum remembers. It drained into a "catching area" at the back and side of the pound which would make it ideal for the impounded sheep. This ditch is still there and we remember it was covered with wire netting some years ago. The water then goes underground.

Of the cottages on the same side as the pound, there is one still there, nearest "The Square". The Square is the junction of caudle lane, The Pound and West End - outside Knights bakery.

Below this cottage was a green painted wooden building up a few steps, the Barbers shop, the last barber (we think) was Ken Penn.

RSS Feed of thread