Certificate Page & Vol numbers (General)

by Jim, Sunday, February 19, 2006, 00:45 (6643 days ago)

On Ancestry.com a birth certificate has the vol/page as 5a 152 but the actual certificate has 5a 387. Does that mean there has been a change from the original?. If the mother is not married and the father is not around can the cerificate be changed to add a father, whether natural or not in later years.

Jim.

Certificate Page & Vol numbers

by May @, Monday, February 20, 2006, 14:20 (6641 days ago) @ Jim

Seems like a transcription error. You could look at the original entry and make up your own mind about this. As you use Ancestry, try their BMD Beta search - their (enhanced?)scans of the original index are very clear.
What did the FreeBMD transcription show? If you believe their entry is wrong you can email them and they will look at it again.

Regarding changing or adding to a birth record - I think the answer is no, it can't be altered. The information given at the time of registration stands. You can change your name in various ways (deed poll, or usage etc) but the birth certificate stays the same.

by Jim, Monday, February 20, 2006, 23:42 (6641 days ago) @ May

Thank you for the reply,May. Ancestry shows 5a 152 with the corrct details, the certificates show 5a 387. I have two certificates one dated 1947 the other 1967.Why I am interested is that the 'Father' shown on the certificates I have is not the natural father.The certificate dated 1947 is two years after the birth, so I was wondering if the Ancestry is the 1945 certificate and the 1947 if with added info.I think the Ancestry certificate may have a missing or another named father. I'll check with the local registry office to see what they think then I will get the Ancestry certificate if they say you can add info after.
Regards
Jim

by May @, Tuesday, February 21, 2006, 04:12 (6641 days ago) @ Jim

In light of what you have now said, perhaps you are looking at two different people, albeit with the same name, but born two years apart.

We should also remember that legally only 6 weeks from the actual date of birth are allowed in which to register a birth.

Whichever route you choose to order a copy of a birth certificate it would still be a copy of the original entry. Personally, I prefer to order from the GRO because you get a "photocopy" of the original (Probably still handwriting in the 1940's) and not someone elses interpretation of it.

I shall be interested to know what you eventually find out about this person.

RSS Feed of thread