Travellers Rest Inn, Elton, Westbury (General)

by julie whitworth @, Monday, February 20, 2006, 10:15 (6642 days ago)

Unable to find any info on the Travellers Rest Inn. My 3xgrandparents believe to be innkeepers there. Names are Thomas and Mary Townsend.

Travellers Rest Inn, Elton, Westbury

by May @, Monday, February 20, 2006, 13:49 (6642 days ago) @ julie whitworth

from Heather Hurley's book The Pubs of the Royal Forest of Dean - after the entry for the White Hart at Broadoak,

"...turning left on the main road towards Littledean, after a few hundred yards on the left-hand side at Elton is a cottge that once traded as the Traveller's Rest - a beer house open from at least 1839 to 1903"

No further information available from this source, but I hope it helps you.

by Joanne, Tuesday, February 21, 2006, 03:42 (6641 days ago) @ julie whitworth

Hi

If you go to this website: http://www.old-maps.co.uk and type Elton into the search. Then chose Elton in Gloucestershire from the list. When it shows you the map click to enlarge it, scroll you screen all the way over to the right and then scroll down. You will find it just across from Lake Farm.

Joanne.

by dawnyhiscock, Saturday, May 02, 2009, 12:49 (5475 days ago) @ julie whitworth

If you look on the 1861 census there is a Charles & Mary Townsend in The Travellers Rest, Elton. Charles Townsend died 12/6/1863 aged 65 and he was a
Public House Keeper. Mary Townsend widow of Charles Townsend,Publican died
14/9/1883 aged 96. I don't know whether they are any ancestors to you, but
I hope this is of some use.

Travellers Rest Inn, Elton, Westbury - Charles TOWNSEND

by juliejtp @, Saturday, May 02, 2009, 12:59 (5475 days ago) @ dawnyhiscock

Thank you Dawn,

Charles and Mary are my 3xgt grandparents.

3 x gt grandmothers maiden name......

by juliejtp @, Tuesday, April 09, 2013, 17:47 (4037 days ago) @ juliejtp

Hi,

My 3 x gt grandmother Mary married Charles Townsend assume sometime before 1826, as daughter Ann was born about 1827. Marys place of birth on the censuses is given as Blaisdon. Her age varies, the death registration has her aged 96 born about 1787, censues 1791-1795.

The family lived in the Westbury on Severn area. She's not the Mary Bruton who married the other Charles Townsend, they also lived in the same area and are listed on opposite pages on the 1841 census.

Class HO107
Piece 369
Book 5
Folio 38
Page 5

I see there is a Mary Preddy widow who married a Charles Townsend Westbury on Severn 1817. I've been unable to find out Mary Preddy's maiden name and who the first husband was.

Many thanks.

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, April 09, 2013, 18:03 (4037 days ago) @ juliejtp

Hi,

My 3 x gt grandmother Mary married Charles Townsend assume sometime before 1826, as daughter Ann was born about 1827. Marys place of birth on the censuses is given as Blaisdon. Her age varies, the death registration has her aged 96 born about 1787, censues 1791-1795.

The family lived in the Westbury on Severn area. She's not the Mary Bruton who married the other Charles Townsend, they also lived in the same area and are listed on opposite pages on the 1841 census.

Class HO107
Piece 369
Book 5
Folio 38
Page 5

I see there is a Mary Preddy widow who married a Charles Townsend Westbury on Severn 1817. I've been unable to find out Mary Preddy's maiden name and who the first husband was.

Many thanks.

Charles Townsend abt 1801 Gloucestershire, England Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire Dealer
Mary Townsend abt 1811 Gloucestershire, England Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire
Ann Townsend abt 1826 Gloucestershire, England Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire

1851 Elton
Charles Townsend abt 1798 Arlingham, Gloucestershire, England Head Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire Publican and Dealer
Mary Townsend abt 1796 Blaisdon, Gloucestershire, England Wife Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire

1861 Travellers Rest nr Elton Court
Charles Townsend abt 1796 Arlingham, Gloucestershire, England Head Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire
Mary Townsend abt 1795 Blaisden, Gloucestershire, England Wife Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire

Mary Townsend abt 1795 Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire, England Head Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire

Thomas Bullock abt 1817 Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire, England Head Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire
Ann Bullock abt 1826 Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire, England Wife Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Bullock abt 1866 Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire
Frederick Bullock abt 1867 Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire, England Son Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire
Mary Townsend abt 1791 Blaisdon, Gloucestershire, England Mother in Law Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire

possibles

1788 PARSONS Mary Robert Sarah Blaisdon
1790 HANMAN Mary William Mary Blaisdon
1795 HART Mary John Elizabeth Blaisdon
1795 BALDWIN Mary John Elizabeth Blaisdon
1796 ROCK Mary Richard Sarah Blaisdon

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

by juliejtp @, Tuesday, April 09, 2013, 18:06 (4037 days ago) @ slowhands

Thank you Slowhands. That gives me something to work on.

TOWNSHEND

by m p griffiths @, Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 08:54 (4036 days ago) @ juliejtp

There is a baptism of a Hannah TOWNSHEND - at Westbury 6 October 1822 - parents Charles (labourer) and Mary
residence: Westbury.

Hannah doesn't appear on the 1841 census with Charles & Mary (nee BRUTON) and this couple married 26 December 1825

also

Baptism at Blaisdon - 3 October 1841

Mary Hannah TOWNSHEND - parents : Charles (occupation: Cooper) & Mary Ann

residence: Blaysdon

---

? 1841 Census, Cirencester, Gloucestershire

Hannah TOWNEND - 20 F/S - born in County

???

FoD Records

Marriage at Weston Under Penyard - 12 February 1852

James GRIFFITHS - full age, Bachelor, Mason

residence: Eldersfield in the County of Worcester

father: Joseph GRIFFITHS - Mason

married

Hannah Maria TOWNSEND - full age - Widow, occuapation: Servant

father: Charles TOWNSEND, occupation: Gardner

by banns:

witnesses: John READ & Ann Eliz(abe)th READ

---

??
Looking at the 1861 census, Hannah GRIFFITHS is aged 34, and born Herefordshire, Ross

RSS Feed of thread