Family Meek from Ruardean (General)

by nigel marshall, Wednesday, February 22, 2006, 12:10 (6640 days ago)

Hi,

Having received great help and hints with my research, many thanks, I am now looking for any information regarding my gggggg grandfather Thomas Meek b 1753 and married to Mary Bennett Aug 16th 1778 Ruardean.
I am also keen to hear from anyone who is researching this line of Meeks who I can exchange details with. My research begins with my g grandfather CHJ Meek killed WW1, son to Beriah & Jane Meek ,Bedwellty Monmouthshire.

This is getting addictive!

many thanks

Nigel

Family Meek from Ruardean

by Joss O\'Kelly @, Friday, March 17, 2006, 14:17 (6617 days ago) @ nigel marshall

Hi Nigel

I'm researching the Pewtner family, who are notable by their absence on this site, but have exchanged gedcoms with various folk, one of whom also has numerous Meeks who started off in Ruardean area and then moved to Durham. Your guy Thomas isn't amongst them, but there may be some useful clues for you. Contact me offlist and I'll send you the gedcom, or a report if you haven't got the appropriate software.

Joss

PEWTNER Family

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, March 17, 2006, 20:23 (6616 days ago) @ Joss O\'Kelly

In the Transcripts - so far I have only come across 2 entries, both Burials

Anne on 20th May 1835 of Berry Hill buried Christchurch aged 38, and
Elizabeth Mary on 24th July 1862 of Ruardean, buried Ruardean aged 3.

And some Census entries :-

Esaias Pewtner abt 1798 Ross, Herefordshire, England Head Lydney Gloucestershire
Mary Ann Pewtner abt 1812 Coleford, Gloucestershire, England Wife Lydney Gloucestershire
Anne Pewtner abt 1838 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Lydney Gloucestershire

Jane Pewtner abt 1831 Bristol Pennitent Bristol St James Gloucestershire

William Pewtner abt 1815 Whitchurch, Herefordshire, England Head Ruardean Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Pewtner abt 1826 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Wife Ruardean Gloucestershire
Esaras Pewtner abt 1858 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Son Ruardean Gloucestershire
Susanna Wila Pewtner abt 1850 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Ruardean Gloucestershire
William Wilar Pewtner abt 1855 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Son Ruardean Gloucestershire

Harry Pewtner abt 1812 Whitchurch, Herefordshire, England Lodger West Dean Gloucestershire

PEWTNER Family

by Joss O\'Kelly, Saturday, March 18, 2006, 12:53 (6616 days ago) @ slowhands

Thanks for this - I have the Lydney mob in my tree but haven't yet made connections to the Ruardean lot. There has to be a link though as Esaias (mistransribed as Esaras) is very much a family name which survived from way back to the grandfather generation. Sadly, it now seems to have died out: the short version, Zay, is quite zippy so perhaps it will make a comeback!

Back to the Meeks, no relations of mine, afaik, but the link is that Ann Pewtner (b 1801 Whitchurch and daughter of Esaias b 1773) married Edward Watkins (b 1788 Ruardean) and their daughter, Martha Watkins (b 1833 Micheldean) married William Meek (b 1832 Ruardean).

Best wishes

Joss

Family MEEK from Ruardean

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, March 17, 2006, 20:04 (6617 days ago) @ nigel marshall

http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=982#p1176

is where we answered a number of the Beriah MEEK related questions, back to Thomas MEEK 1783 ( ish !)

I'll recheck the parish transcriptions to see if further info has become available.

regards
S

by nigel marshall, Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 13:43 (6473 days ago) @ slowhands

Slowhands
We hope you may be of some more assitance please.
Several months of research, a trip to the area with another planned this weekend (thanks for the information on The Morse) and a few hours on this excellent site (& several others) and our result is that Mary Bennett and Thomas Meek are not the likely parents to Moses Meek (as you suggested) married to Anne Braine (parents of Beriah b1809 m to Tryphena )as the IGI record that their Moses died in infancy in 1779.There is a record on the IGI of 2 other Thomas Meeks with wives named Mary around this time however I cannot establish a direct link. I have trawled through all the parish records on the FoD site and have identified a few other members to the family which is very exciting however we can't find a way to establish our next direct family line.Do you have any other suggestions on where we can go from here? Having spent too many hours (according to my wife after a recent operation to remove my wisdom teeth) researching this any help would be very much appreciated .
kind regards
Nigel

Family Meek from Ruardean Attention Nigel.

by Lorraine English @, Western Australia, Wednesday, August 09, 2006, 22:27 (6471 days ago) @ nigel marshall

I have been asking my husband for many years to start researching his family tree but have realised that if it is ever going to get done I'll have to start it.We have two sons 19 and 21 and they are very interested in their ancestry.So this has prompted me to place a message on this board for helpful advice.My husbands grandmother was Elizabeth Ellen Meek.I have a copy of her wedding certificate she married a John English in Bedwelty Mons in 1903.Her father is listed as Beriah Meek a Collier.I have found the family on the 1881 cenus and Elizabeth was aged 9 months

by Lorraine English @, Western Australia, Wednesday, August 09, 2006, 22:31 (6471 days ago) @ nigel marshall

Hi Nigel

I think we are researching the same Meeks.I am researching my husbands family tree.His grandmother was Elizabeth Ellen Meek born 1881 East Dean.I have a copy of her wedding certificate to John English at Bedwelty in 1903.Her father is listed as Beriah Meek and one of the witnesses is Charles Henry James Meek.

Would love to hear from you

Regards

Lorraine

by bertha, Thursday, August 10, 2006, 01:45 (6471 days ago) @ Lorraine English

Lorraine,

If you type Beriah Meek into the search feature at the top of this page, you'll find a wealth of information about Beriah Meek and Family. This is one of the threads

http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=982#p984

by nigel marshall, Thursday, August 10, 2006, 11:42 (6471 days ago) @ Lorraine English

Hi Lorraine

It certainly is the same family, Beraih was my gg grandfather,Charles his son was my g grandfather killed in WW1 so your husband and I are distant relatives.I will happliy share any info i have and as suggested follow the thread on Beriah it will take you back to the late 1700's. It's a great site and you will get lots of help and tips I'm sure.If you want me to add your famly to my tree please let me know and I will let you have a direct e-mail address. There are also many books on the FoD area detailing the social history which is also very interesting.
Hope to hear from you again soon

kind regards
Nigel

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Thursday, August 10, 2006, 17:58 (6471 days ago) @ nigel marshall

Thank you so much.This site is brilliant.I think I am going to be glued to the computer reading all the valuable family history information.

Regards
Lorraine

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Thursday, August 10, 2006, 18:08 (6471 days ago) @ nigel marshall

Hi Nigel

If you let me have a direct email address I could email you a copy of Elizabeth Meeks Wedding Certificate.

Regards

Lorraine

by nigel marshall, Friday, August 11, 2006, 09:05 (6470 days ago) @ admin

-----
E-mail address edited by admin
It is not advisable to leave e-mail address on public forums as it will be harvested by spambots.
Suggest you activate your e-mail link so people can contact you direct.
Details in the Help FAQ link at the top of the page.

by Susan Bates @, Warwickshire, Thursday, August 10, 2006, 05:53 (6471 days ago) @ nigel marshall

Hello Nigel.
Are you by any chance in touch with Margaret Monaghan who is also looking for a Beriah Meek. I have Meek's in my tree but so far found no connection with yours mine also come from the Forest of Dean.
If I do come across anything that will help you I will let you know.
Sue

by nigel marshall, Thursday, August 10, 2006, 11:22 (6471 days ago) @ Susan Bates

Dear Sue

Yes , I received an e-mail from Margaret today as it happens.She is a great cousin twice removed and we only established this through this site.Good luck with your research.
kind regards
Nigel

RSS Feed of thread