Wood Family - Lydney Area (General)

by Josie Meek @, Saturday, February 25, 2006, 09:46 (6637 days ago)

Seeking information on my ancestors:-

Gt.Gt.Grandparents
Wood. William and Esther (nee Cole) married at Lydney 18-4-1847.

Edwards. Charles and Sarah (nee Williams) married at Lydney 13-12-1853.

Gt.Grandparents
Wood. Frederick and Eliza (nee Edwards) married at St Pauls, Parkend 17-5-1877.

Grandparents
Cook. Ernest and Amelia (nee Wood) no trace of marriage.

Any information or photographs would be greatfully appreciated.

Josie Meek

Frederick WOOD 1847 Lydney and Cinderford

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, February 26, 2006, 10:19 (6636 days ago) @ Josie Meek

WILLIAM WOOD
-----------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 14 OCT 1814 Llanwarne, Hereford, England
---------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: THOMAS WOOD
Mother: MARY
-----------------------------------------------------
Extracted birth or christening record for locality listed in the record.
The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
J137201 1675 - 1875 1041611 Film 6900276 Film
Sheet: 00

1851 Soilwell nr Allaston Meend
William Wood abt 1815 Lanwan, Herefordshire, England Head Lydney Gloucestershire
Ester Wood abt 1822 Wickwar, Gloucestershire, England Wife Lydney Gloucestershire
Fredrick Wood abt 1849 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Son Lydney Gloucestershire
Richard Wood abt 1850 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Son Lydney Gloucestershire

1861 Yorkley
William Wood abt 1815 Lanwarre, Herefordshire, England Head West Dean Gloucestershire
Esther Wood abt 1822 Wickwar, Gloucestershire, England Wife West Dean Gloucestershire
Frederick Wood abt 1849 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Son West Dean Gloucestershire
Mary Wood abt 1857 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter West Dean Gloucestershire
Phebe Wood abt 1855 Yorkley West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter West Dean Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Wood abt 1861 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter West Dean Gloucestershire

1871 nr Allaston Meend
William Wood abt 1815 Judegess, Herefordshire, England Head Lydney Gloucestershire
Easter Wood abt 1823 Wick Ware, Gloucestershire, England Wife Lydney Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Wood abt 1860 Yorkley West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Lydney Gloucestershire
Frederick Wood abt 1849 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Son Lydney Gloucestershire
Joseph Wood abt 1863 Son Lydney Gloucestershire

1881 East Dean / Holy Trinity in vicinity of Brierley Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Frederick Wood abt 1849 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Head
Eliza Wood abt 1855 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Wife
Amelia Wood abt 1877 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Daughter
Annie Wood abt 1881 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter
Minney Wood abt 1879 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter

1891 Bilson Green
Fred R Wood abt 1849 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Eliza Wood abt 1853 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Amelia Wood abt 1877 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Annie Wood abt 1881 Brierley, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Wood abt 1888 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
William Wood abt 1884 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire

1901 Upper Bilson Cinderford
Frederick Wood abt 1849 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean
Eliza Wood abt 1851 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Albert Wood abt 1895 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Bessie Wood abt 1887 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Emily Wood abt 1892 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire

1901 2 Glenfall Terr. Cheltenham
Amelia Wood abt 1877 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Servant Cheltenham Gloucestershire

Amelia WOOD and Ernest COOK

by jomeek, Thursday, October 26, 2006, 13:42 (6394 days ago) @ slowhands

My grandmother was Amelia Wood of Cinderford. She had 2 children; my mother Ena May Cook (b.1906) and my Auntie Elsie Cook (b.1903). Unfortunately, Amelia died in Dec 1907 when my Mum was very small and the 2 girls were brought up by their grandparents Frederick and Eliza Wood of Heywood, Cinderford. They had no contact with their father and I'm trying to find out more about him.

I have not been able to find a marriage of Ernest and Amelia, either in local parish registers or the GRO index.

This is what I know...

I have never been able to find a birth certificate for Amelia! Frederick and Eliza Wood had 8 children and all of the others registered. School records give her date of birth as 10th January 1877.

On the 1901 census Amelia was in service in Cheltenham, working for Mrs. Susan S Soulby

Elsie was born at the Green Dragon Inn, Monmouth on the 1st September 1903. Her father is given as Ernest Cook a bricklayer journeyman and her mother Amelia Cook (indicating they were married?!). The birth was informed by Ernest.

Ena May was born at Bilson Green, Cinderford, on 31st May 1906. Her father is again given as Ernest Cook a bricklayer and her mother Amelia Cook. The birth was informed by Amelia.

The death certificate states Amelia Cook died on the 11th December 1907, aged 30, and her death was informed by her mother, Eliza Wood. However in Holy Trinity Church Drybrook register it reads Amelia Wood.

On my Mum's marriage certificte in 1929, her father is given as Ernest Cook, a mason and it does not mention he is deceased. I wonder if she knew he was still alive?

I have found an Ernest Cook who I think is a likely candidate. He was born in 1866 in Eldersfield Worcs. This Ernest, a bricklayer, married Rosa Jane Smallwood of Bulley in 1888. In the 1891 census they lived with his mother at 5 Mitre Villa, Forthampton with 2 children (William and Albert). They had 2 more children Cicely 1895 and Gertrude 1897. Rosa died on the 12th September 1899 at Broadway, and by the time of the 1901 census the children were living with Aunts and Uncles across the country. Ernest Cook was living at 25 Hethersett Rd, Gloucester with his sister Jennie Heaven and her family.

Does anyone know anything about Amelia and Ernest?

Any information would be appreciated.

Jo Meek.

Amelia WOOD 1877 1907 Lydney

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Thursday, October 26, 2006, 21:15 (6394 days ago) @ jomeek

Year: 1907
Month: Dec
Day: 14
Surname: WOOD
Forenames: Amelia
Place of Residence: Upper Bilson Cinderford
Age at death: 30 years
Officiating Minister: H E Barnet Curate
Event: Burial
Cause of death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register Reference: P109 IN 1/13
Page No: 196
Parish_Chapel: Drybrook

I have never been able to find a birth certificate for Amelia! Frederick and

Eliza Wood had 8 children and all of the others registered. School records

give her date of birth as 10th January 1877.

Amelia Wood abt 1877 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Servant Cheltenham Gloucestershire

Amelia Wood abt 1877 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire

Amelia Wood abt 1877 Lydney Gloucestershire, England Daughter Westbury on Severn - East Dean Gloucestershire

dau of Frederick, Eliza

I wonder if this is her ( correct reg dist for Lydney) ?

Name: Amelia Woods
Year of Registration: 1878
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Chepstow
County: Gloucestershire
Volume: 11a
Page: 4

Have you checked the non-conformist registers ? I was able to find a missing relative this way.

It does "feel" like a formal marriage did not take place for Amelia and Ernest.

Your candidate for Ernest seems to have a number of "matches" - occupation, cheltenham area, etc...

Sometimes proof is not possible, you just have to go with it until / if strong proof comes along :-)

Frederick WOOD 1849 Lydney

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, April 29, 2008, 00:00 (5844 days ago) @ slowhands

Frederick Wood abt 1849 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Head Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire
Eliza Wood abt 1855 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Wife Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire
Annie Wood East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire
Minney Wood abt 1879 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire
Amelia Wood abt 1877 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire

>> her date of birth as 10th January 1877
so perhaps a BMD in name Edwards ?

Year: 1877
Month: May
Day: 17

Groom Surname: WOOD
Groom Forenames: Frederick
Groom Age at Marriage: 28
Groom condition: Batchelor
Groom Rank or Profession: Collier
Groom Residence: Yorkley
Groom Father's Surname: Wood
Groom Father's Forenames: William
Groom Father's Rank or Profession: Machin(ist?)

Bride Surname: EDWARDS
Bride Forenames: Eliza
Bride Age at Marriage: 22
Bride Condition: Spinster
Bride Rank or Profession: [not stated]
Bride Residence: Yorkley
Bride Father's Surname: Edwards
Bride Father's Forenames: Charles
Bride Father's Rank or Profession: Mason

Licence or Banns: Superintendent R
Date of banns:
Signature or Mark: he marks she signs
Witness 1: Henry Gunter
Witness 2: Elizabeth Gunter
Other witnesses:
Officiating Minister: Jo[hn] Jo[seph] Elsworth Vicar
Event type: Marriage
Memoranda:
Transcriber's Notes: grooms fathers occupation off end of page
Register Reference: P245 IN 1/21
Page No: 174
Parish_Chapel: Parkend

William Wood 56
Easter Wood 48
Elizabeth Wood 11
Frederick Wood 22
Joseph Wood 8

William Wood abt 1815 Lanwarre, Herefordshire, England Head West Dean, Gloucestershire
Esther Wood abt 1822 Wickwar, Gloucestershire, England Wife West Dean, Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Wood abt 1861 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter West Dean, Gloucestershire
Frederick Wood abt 1849 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Son West Dean, Gloucestershire
Mary Wood abt 1857 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter West Dean, Gloucestershire
Phebe Wood abt 1855 Yorkley West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter West Dean, Gloucestershire

William Wood abt 1815 Lanwan, Herefordshire, England Head Lydney, Gloucestershire
Ester Wood abt 1822 Wickwar, Gloucestershire, England Wife Lydney, Gloucestershire
Fredrick Wood abt 1849 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Son Lydney, Gloucestershire
Richard Wood abt 1850 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Son Lydney, Gloucestershire

Year: 1849
Month: Mar
Day: 10
Parents Surname: WOOD
Child Forenames: Frederic
Father's Forenames: William
Mother's Forenames: Esther
Mother's Surname:
Place of Residence: Soilwell
Officiating Minister: Philip Pain Curate
Event type: Baptism
Memoranda: