William Harris of Scowles, Newland (General)

by chloe, Thursday, March 02, 2006, 00:23 (6633 days ago)

I am having trouble finding the marriage of my Great Great Grandparents.
They are William Harris and Maria Tomblins living at Highmeadow Scowles Newland, and on the census down as been born at the Scowles.
First child born 1847 so marriage around about that time give or take a few years.
Hope someone out there can help me .

Many Thanks Chloe

William Harris 1821 -1851 census

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Thursday, March 02, 2006, 01:50 (6633 days ago) @ chloe

Can't spot anything in BMD, possible that its a non-conformist marriage - Glos Records Office may be
able to help...( did a quick search on the online database but nothing came up)

1851 High Meadow Newland
William Harris abt 1821 Westdean, Gloucestershire, England Head Newland Gloucestershire
Maria Harris abt 1826 Westdean, Gloucestershire, England Wife Newland Gloucestershire
Sarah A Harris abt 1849 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Newland Gloucestershire
William Harris abt 1851 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Son Newland Gloucestershire

next door to John and Ann Tomblins

Harris

by David Matthews @, Thursday, March 02, 2006, 07:53 (6632 days ago) @ chloe

I have exactly the same problem!

William and Maria are my great-great-great-grandparents via William John Harris (b 1851) and his son Thomas (b 1886).

I suspect that they were non-conformists as I found on the IGI a William John Harriss, child of William and Maria Harriss, christened 23 Feb 1851 at the Wesleyan chapel in Coleford. There is also an entry for a Sarah A Harris, child of William and Maria Harris, christened 19 Nov 1848, again in Coleford.

I think I read somewhere that the Wesleyan congregation in Coleford had split by 1851 with Reformers taking control of the Newland Street chapel and Loyalists building a new chapel, called Ebenezer, at the top of the High Street. There was also a cryptic reference to the Reformers' church in Coleford is not being recorded after 1851?

I’m fairly new to genealogy so I don’t know if this fact has any bearing on the completeness of the available records. Unfortunately I can’t get to the records office in Gloucester to check.

I’d love to hear from you with any thoughts.

Regards

Harris

by shepway @, Friday, March 03, 2006, 06:34 (6632 days ago) @ chloe

Pleased to say that I have found this marriage in the GRO Index. Details required to enable you to purchase the Marriage Certificate:

September Quarter 1845
Ross on Wye Registration District
Volume 26
Page 305

Names in Index: William Harris and Maria Tomlins

Mike

Harris

by Graham Davison, Thursday, March 09, 2006, 07:11 (6625 days ago) @ shepway

The marriage was at Ruardean, the details are

17 Sunday 1845 WILLIAM HARRIS to MARIA TOMLINS
after Trinity By banns, he is a labourer, his father is William
Harris a labourer, her father is John Tomlins
A lime burner, he made a mark, she signed.
Witnesses: John Thomas & Mary Thomas

Have a look at the Ruardean marriage transcripts on the site.

Harris

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Friday, March 10, 2006, 02:59 (6625 days ago) @ Graham Davison

Thank you very much for the info

Chloe

RSS Feed of thread