F W Harvey - Forest of Dean Poet Commemorated (Announce)

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Sunday, February 14, 2010, 10:40 (5156 days ago)

Forest of Dean Poet Commemorated

W Harvey was one of the most popular British War Poets and is known as The Laureate of Gloucestershire. Born in Hartpury, he was brought up in Minsterworth, lived briefly in a railway carriage in Broad Oak and spent the last thirty years of his life in Yorkley in the Forest of Dean.

Despite being a prolific poet, Will Harvey never received the recognition bestowed on contemporaries such as Siegfried Sassoon, Rupert Brooke, Wilfred Owen and Ivor Gurney, Harvey‚s close friend and Gloucestershire compatriot, although his poem Ducks has been in many anthologies.

But it is now hoped to rectify that omission with the formation of a F W Harvey Society committed to raising his profile and exploring his remarkable life not only during the Great War but in the small Forest of Dean village where he chose to live for most of his life.

And Yorkley village hall will be the scene of the launch of the new society on Sunday January 31, formed with the blessing of Eileen Griffiths, Harvey's daughter, and supported by Harvey's biographer Anthony Boden.

More information from Secretary Marie Fraser Griffiths on 01594 843107

Full details are available on the F.W Harvey Society website.

Notes:

Frederick William Harvey was born in Hartpury on March 26 1912 and died at High Beech, Yorkley, on February 13 1957.

He fought in Flanders and was decorated for bravery before being made a prisoner of war, when he wrote much his verse. He also wrote a remarkable memoir of his experiences, Comrades in Captivity.

He became a solicitor after the war, practicing in Swindon, Gloucester, Newnham and Lydney.

All his poetry collections are now out of print and are collectors‚ items fetching high prices.

An edition of collected poems published by Doug McLean at The Forest Bookshop in 1983 has just been republished and topped the charts at the Coleford bookshop.

F W Harvey - Forest of Dean Poet prior thread

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, February 14, 2010, 10:54 (5156 days ago) @ admin

http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=7769

always has been one of my favored poets :-)

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

F W Harvey - Forest of Dean Poet Commemorated

by sylviamorgan @, Sunday, February 14, 2010, 11:53 (5156 days ago) @ admin

Hi
What a coincidence-I`m reading BODEN`s biography(having just borrowed it from my local library." What a good man he must have been with his sense of humour and being a sportsman as well as a poet. What I would call "a man for all seasons"
I`ll have to buy the book otherwise I wont be able to return it
Sylvia

RSS Feed of thread