William Morgan of Hinders Lane (General)

by D Morgan @, Bristol, Sunday, March 19, 2006, 02:24 (6616 days ago)

I am trying to find the father of William Morgan who was born in 1813 or 14.Williams father is named as James Morgan ,occupation mason ,on Williams marriage certificate in 1838.In the 1851 census William ,also a mason, is shown living in Hinders Lane, Little Dean with his wife Eliza, sons William,Hubert,Amos and James and daughter Hannah.They are living very close to a James Morgan born about 1794 and his wife Esther born about 1789.He would be a good candidate except that his occupation is listed as labourer.Next door to him is Charlotte Morgan, a widow,born abt 1765 who was mentioned in a previous post as the mother of James Morgan born 1794 Little Dean.If anyone has any information,apart from proximity, that can link this James Morgan to the William Morgan mentioned above I would be very grateful.
Denis Morgan

William Morgan of Hinders Lane

by jam1401, Sunday, March 19, 2006, 06:32 (6616 days ago) @ D Morgan

Dennis,

I was the one who posted the James Morgan (born 1794) messages however based on the information I have I cannot make the link to William (at least directly). It also seems like in the 1851 census William states his birthplace as Lea Bailey which if I remember correctly is near Ross/Wigpool. This would be inconsistent with the birth places listed for James and the rest of his family which are all listed as Littledean

I will keep looking within the resources I have.

thanks

Jeff

by D Morgan @, Bristol, Sunday, March 19, 2006, 08:51 (6616 days ago) @ jam1401

Hi Jam 1401
Thanks for your prompt reply.I think that the fact that William Morgan was born in Lea Bailey can be pretty confusing.For a long time I thought that he was born in Herefordshire,but this is not neccessarily the case.I have seen a map at http://www.british-history.ac.uk Which shows a detached portion of Lea Bailey very close to Little Dean and Hinders Lane.Also An extract from British History online states the following,
"In 1835 a majority of commissioners considering a proposal to create

civil parishes for the Forest rejected it, citing among their reasons

difficulties in levying and collecting rates. (fn. 7) In 1842, however,

the main part of the extraparochial area was divided for poor-law

purposes into two townships, that of East Dean being included in the

Westbury-on-Severn union and that of West Dean in the Monmouth union.

(fn. 8) At Cinderford, where new building was mostly on land in East

Dean township, Flaxley parish, and Lea Bailey tithing, three small

extraparochial places on Littledean hill remained outside the poor-law

system until 1869 when they were constituted the parish of Hinder's

Lane and Dockham within the Westbury union. (fn. 9) That parish

disappeared in 1884 when East Dean's boundaries were extended to

include most of the town. (fn. 10) Lea Bailey tithing, where Newland

parish officers had administered relief only intermittently and had

never levied poor rates, relieved its own poor from the late 17th

century. (fn. 11) It came to be regarded as a separate parish and in

1836 became part of the new Herefordshire poor-law union of Ross. (fn.

12) In the 1880s Lea Bailey was dismembered and its constituent parts

added to various adjoining parishes."
This is quite confusing but it does seem to indicate that the parish of Lea Bailey was fragmented and that part of one of the fragments included Hinders Lane.I am not sure if Hinders Lane was part of Lea Bailey in 1813-14 but it was certainly not far away.Perhaps someone with a more detailed knowledge can help us out here.
Denis Morgan

by Maurice G Teague @, Westbury on Severn, Tuesday, March 21, 2006, 23:42 (6614 days ago) @ D Morgan

Lea Bailey.
I also had the problem with this address and after much inadvertent searching in the Ruardean/Ross area found that there was a further Lea Bailey situated between Dockham Rd and Collafield.This area is more commonly known as Littledean Hill Rd now and once was known as Woodside,an early name for that part of Cinderford.It was even more confusing for me because my family also had strong connections with Ruardean.I am still trying to locate the Royal Albert Inn kept by my gggrandmother in 1861 which was situated in this area.
Good luck with your research.

by D Morgan @, Bristol, Wednesday, March 22, 2006, 02:41 (6613 days ago) @ Maurice G Teague

Thank you Maurice.Thats another little bit of useful information.I,ll ask my contacts in the forest about the Royal Albert,someone must know of it.
Best of luck, Denis Morgan.

Royal Albert thread

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Wednesday, March 22, 2006, 02:49 (6613 days ago) @ D Morgan

RSS Feed of thread