Henrietta Pewtner - Assault in the Forest (General)

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Wednesday, March 22, 2006, 20:18 (6613 days ago)

The assault was made on a young girl, scarcely 15 years of age, and it seemed
that not even the presence of a child who was with her afforded any security.
But by the spirit of that child, a spirit which would do credit to many men, the
prosecutrix had been rescued from the brutality of the prisoner.

http://www.forest-of-dean.net/joomla/stories-and-articles Henrietta_Pewtner_-_Assaulted

The article was kindly sent to us by Joss O'Kelly

Henrietta Pewtner - Assault in the Forest

by Joss O\'Kelly, Thursday, March 23, 2006, 06:11 (6612 days ago) @ admin

I found this article whilst searching Pewtners in the Times Archive and thought that it was such a great story I wanted to share it with you. Henrietta "an interesting and intelligent girl", not to mention her plucky chum, were what sparked off my search for Forest Pewtners.

No sign of her in in Forest censuses but there is on IGI a Henrietta Pewtner , b 1812 Alverstoke, married 1834 ditto and died 1887 in Milford. The last two places may well be true, but I think she could be the one - as ever a different birthplace on every Hants census, but one Mon and two Herefordshire. Assuming she was the same one (though of course I can't be sure), she turned up in Hants in time for her marriage to James Hobby, b 1809, and appears on various censuses from 1851 as his wife in Milford. He was a coachman/gardener. They had at least 7 children, the second of whom was Esaias b 1837 variously transribed by the confused census enumerators as Esacas as Gsais!

I've posted on a Hants group, but no descendants have come out of the woodwork as yet.
Anyway girls, remember to travel in pairs in dark and lonely places and if you don't have a rape alarm or a pepper spray, shoes will do at a pinch!

Joss

RSS Feed of thread