Inquest verdict - Manslaughter against the father (General)

by Gill Newbury @, Monday, March 15, 2010, 20:24 (5174 days ago)

Having found an inquest of 1891 where the cause of death is 'Suffocation: Manslaughter against the father' I thought my next step would be to look at trials/prison records. However, I decided to look at the next census in 1901 to see what had happened to his wife only to find that they were together with three more children. I can understand that this could have been accidental but as punishment seemed much harsher then I am a little suprised. Any suggestions please.
Gill

John James BOURNE Inquest

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Tuesday, March 16, 2010, 02:40 (5174 days ago) @ Gill Newbury

You can view the inquest in our → Forest of Dean Inquests section.

Newspaper report → James Bourne Committed for Manslaughter 1891.pdf

James Bourne Committed for Manslaughter 1891

by ellieperry @, Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 00:14 (5173 days ago) @ Gill Newbury

He was later aquitted. This is my ggrandfather, he later changed his name to James Ambrey.
Entry Number 793
Year 1891
Month Mar
Day 6
Surname BOURNE
Forenames John James
Residence Joyford
Age at death 4 Months
Officiating Minister C.Barnes Vicar
Event Burial
Cause of death
Memoranda This child was suffocated by his Father & he was tried for Manslaughter - Aquitted.
Notes
Register Reference PFC82 IN 1/14
Page No 100
Parish Chapel Christchurch

James Bourne Committed for Manslaughter 1891

by Gill Newbury @, Thursday, March 18, 2010, 19:12 (5171 days ago) @ ellieperry

Thank you both for your interest. I now know that James Bourne/Ambrey was acquitted of the manslaughter of his son but I do not know on what grounds. He emigrated to America in 1903 and his wife and children followed in 1904 but unfortunately he died in a mining accident in 1905.

RSS Feed of thread