Henry Edwin STEPHENS and wife Emma MORGAN Cinderford (General)

by hayste, Monday, April 12, 2010, 17:41 (5100 days ago)

Henry (born 1851)and Emma (born 1857) married Westbury On Severn 1874 both residing Cinderford East Dean at this time prior to settling in Wigan Lancashire around 1878. I am very interested in finding out why they left such a beautiful area. Seeking links to William and Eliza Morgan parents of Emma: James Stephens - father of Henry.

Henry Edwin STEPHENS and wife Emma MORGAN Cinderford

by allisonejarvis, Monday, April 12, 2010, 19:45 (5100 days ago) @ hayste

I have just spent a few days in Cinderford researching my family history and have found out alot of information about Eliza and William Morgan of whom we are related. Eliza and William had 11 children william b 1839 Hannah 1840( died soon after by the looks of things) James b 1842 Hubert b.1846 died 1872, Amos b 1847 d.1922 Thomas 1852 and moved to New zealand .Leonard b 1854 d,1946 ( he was married twice), Eliza b1855 m Hubert Jones 1872 Mary b.1857 d.1894 m William Glastonbury, Emma 1859m Henry Edwin Stephens Alfred b.1863 .

It seems that when Father William died mother Eliza and her children Mary, Emma and Alfred as well as her grandson William ( son of william) moved up to Ince. I can only presume this was for the coal mines and the fact that lots of stone masons where needed to build houses. Some of the other family ie James also went to Wigan for short times and then returned. Mary and her husband and family returned to Cinderford but it seems Emma and Alfred married and stayed.I am related to The Eldest son of William and Eliza. William was born in 1839. He had 5 children, Adelaid b1864, William b1866, Sarah b 1867, Edward 1870 ( My great Grandfather) and Tom b 1872. William died young and his wife remarried and it looks as though all the children then scattered. Sarah went into service and William with grandmother to Ince. Edward followed up to Wigan later. Edward was a miner and went on to have 7 children one of which was my grandfather. We have seen the graves of Father William, Eliza and other family members in Cinderford Baptist church. I am interested in your link as I only have children of Emma recorded.

by hayste, Tuesday, April 13, 2010, 10:34 (5099 days ago) @ allisonejarvis

Thankyou Alisonejarvis.

Emma Morgan and Henry Edwin Stephens (Coal Miner) were my Great Grandparents who married in Cinderford 1874 - Henry aged 23yrs and Emma 17yrs. Great Great Grandparents William Morgan (Master Mason) and Eliza (nee Ledbeater) married in 1838 St Michael - Abenhall Gloucester. Emma was born 20th April 1858 with the family residing in Woodside East Dean at the time. Charlotte Elizabeth Bertha Stephens was born to Henry and Emma 1875 when they are recorded as residing in Meand Flaxley, later on Charlotte would marry James Mason. The next child; Edgar Henry Stephens born 1878 record the family as residing at 235 Branch Street Ince Wigan. My beloved Grandma Isabella Rebecca Stephens was born 1896 and passed away in 1988. My mother is May, daughter of Isabella. Alfred Morgan born 1863 became a Railway Passenger Porter and died 1917 and I was wondering how he related to the family links so thankyou my new found relation for clearing that up.

by allisonejarvis, Tuesday, April 13, 2010, 20:23 (5099 days ago) @ hayste

Dear Hayste,
Thank-you for the link. I don't know how far you have gone with your family tree but I am missing a few other links I wonder if you could help? It's concerning Amos Morgan who is Eliza and William's 4th son b. 1847/8 d.1922 m.Emma . I have traced what happened to 2 of his children but cannot find what happened to Arthur w morgan b. 1880 Elizabeth e b. 1882 and Nellie v.b 1885.
You may not have gone down the Morgan line that far. I cannot believe my grandfather Leonard who lived to 93 b. 1905 did not know more of his relations in Ince as he only lived 2 miles away in Hindley.Do you know if all the Stephens line stayed in Wigan or did they go back to Cinderford eventually?
If you have not been it is worth a visit to Cinderford to see the graves and see Williams handy work!The baptist chapel he built is fantastic. If you google Cinderford Baptist church you will find an article written in 1910 and it mentions William building it and his son Amos nearly dying after falling off it.
Amos and Leonard (Sons of William and Eliza's) houses are still standing in St Annal's road.
I have most( except Amos) of the information on all William and Eliza's children up to the 1911 census so if you need any gaps filling just let me know.
Allisonejarvis

Arthur Walter MORGAN 1879 Cinderford

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, April 13, 2010, 21:17 (5099 days ago) @ allisonejarvis

Year: 1838
Month: Feb
Day: 3
Grooms_Surname: MORGAN
Grooms_Forenames: William
Grooms_Age: Of full age
Groom_Condition: Bachelor
Grooms_Occupation: Mason
Grooms_Residence: Lea Bailey
Grooms_Fathers_Surname: Morgan
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames: James
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation: Mason
Brides_Surname: LEADBETTER
Brides_Forenames: Eliza
Brides_Age: 17
Brides_Condition: Spinster
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: Little Dean Hill Forest of Dean
Brides_Fathers_Surname: Leadbetter
Brides_Fathers_Forenames: James
Brides_Fathers_Occupation: Collier
Licence_or_Banns: Not stated
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: He signs she marks
Witness_1: Mark of Adam Harris
Witness_2: Mark of Elizabeth Harris
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: James Davies Rector
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P1 IN 1/12
Page_Number: 11
Parish_Chapel: Abenhall

William Morgan 27
Eliza Morgan 20
William Morgan 3
Hannah Morgan 1

William Mayan abt 1814 Lea Peailey, Gloucestershire, England Head Extraparochial, Gloucestershire
Eliza Mayan abt 1820 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife Extraparochial, Gloucestershire
William Mayan abt 1838 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son Extraparochial, Gloucestershire
Hannah Mayan abt 1839 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Extraparochial, Gloucestershire
James Mayan abt 1842 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son Extraparochial, Gloucestershire
Hubert Mayan abt 1844 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son Extraparochial, Gloucestershire
Ames Mayan abt 1846 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son Extraparochial, Gloucestershire
Ephraim Ledbenter abt 1828 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Lodger Extraparochial, Gloucestershire

William Mogan abt 1815 Hambl of Lea, Gloucestershire, England Head Flaxley, Gloucestershire
Eliza Mogan abt 1821 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife Flaxley, Gloucestershire
William Mogan abt 1839 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son Flaxley, Gloucestershire
James Mogan abt 1842 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son Flaxley, Gloucestershire
Hubert Mogan abt 1846 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son Flaxley, Gloucestershire
Amos Mogan abt 1848 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son Flaxley, Gloucestershire
Thomas Mogan abt 1851 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son Flaxley, Gloucestershire
Lenord Mogan abt 1853 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son Flaxley, Gloucestershire
Eliza Mogan abt 1855 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Flaxley, Gloucestershire
Mary Mogan abt 1857 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Flaxley, Gloucestershire
Emma Mogan abt 1859 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Flaxley, Gloucestershire

Amos Morgan 24
Emma Morgan 23
Florence B Morgan 9 months

Name: Arthur Walter Morgan
Year of Registration: 1879
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Westbury On Severn
County: Gloucestershire
Volume: 6a
Page: 253

Amos Morgan abt 1847 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Head Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire
Emma Morgan abt 1848 Parkend, Gloucestershire, England Wife Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire
Florence B. Morgan abt 1871 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire
Ernest Morgan abt 1875 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Son Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire
Arthur W. Morgan abt 1880 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Son Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire

Amos Morgan abt 1847 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean, Gloucestershire
Emma Morgan abt 1848 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean, Gloucestershire
Ernest Morgan abt 1875 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Arthur W Morgan abt 1880 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Elizabeth E Morgan abt 1882 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Nellie V Morgan abt 1885 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire

Amos Morgan abt 1847 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean, Gloucestershire
Emma Morgan abt 1849 Parkend, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean, Gloucestershire
Arthur W Morgan abt 1880 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Morgan abt 1882 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Nie Morgan abt 1885 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire

Name: Arthur Walter Morgan
Name: Fanny Harper
Year of Registration: 1903
Page: 608

MORGAN ARTHUR WALTER M 1880 31 Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
MORGAN FANNY F 1882 29 Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
MORGAN GWENDOLINE MAY F 1910 1 Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
MORGAN REGINALD ARTHUR M 1907 4 Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire

possible
Name: Fanny Morgan
Death Registration Month/Year: 1957
Age at death (estimated): 76
Registration district: Forest of Dean
Inferred County: Gloucestershire
Volume: 7b
Page: 460

Name: Arthur W Morgan
Death Registration Month/Year: 1967
Age at death (estimated): 88
Registration district: Cheltenham
Volume: 7b
Page: 302

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Reginald Arthur MORGAN 1906 - 1985 Cinderford

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 06:30 (5098 days ago) @ slowhands

Name: Reginald Arthur Morgan
Year of Registration: 1906
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Page: 300

Name: Reginald Arthur Morgan
Birth Date: 10 Aug 1906
Death Registration Month/Year: Dec 1985
Age at death (estimated): 79
Registration district: Forest of Dean
Volume: 22
Page: 1890

--

Nellie Vic MORGAN 1884 Cinderford

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, April 13, 2010, 21:26 (5099 days ago) @ allisonejarvis

Name: N__Llei Vic Morgan
Year of Registration: 1884
Page: 237

MORGAN NELLIE F 1885 26 Bristol Gloucestershire ( born Cinderford)

possibly marries Edward Neale in Bristol 1913

--

Nellie Vic MORGAN 1884 Cinderford

by allisonejarvis, Tuesday, April 13, 2010, 23:41 (5099 days ago) @ slowhands

Thank-you slowhands!

Emma MORGAN and father Leonard MORGAN

by smashton, Friday, June 25, 2010, 13:38 (5026 days ago) @ allisonejarvis

Leonard Morgan did keep in contact with some of his relatives in Ince. I have a photo of him (and one of his daughters) with my Great Grandfather Frank Rhodes who was the son of Hannah Morgan, Leonards sister. My grandad remembered 'Uncle Leonard'. I'd love to share Morgan info and any other sibling info you and Hayste may have.
Melanie

by Dmolyneux, Wednesday, October 02, 2019, 21:33 (1640 days ago) @ allisonejarvis

Only recently joined the forum, but I have been researching Alfred Morgan who is mentioned in this post, Alfred was my Great Grandfather. I have visited Cinderford and seen the Baptist Chapel built by his father William and his sons. Not sure if any of the family still reside in Cinderford or in the Wigan area.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, October 05, 2019, 02:43 (1637 days ago) @ Dmolyneux

Hi Dmolyneux, slightly belated but nevertheless warm welcome to the forum !
Just checking if you've already seen this prior thread as well ?.
http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=23935

Jeff.

by Dmolyneux, Monday, October 07, 2019, 16:24 (1635 days ago) @ Jefff

Jeff
Thank you for the reply, I've only just come across the forum and the information contained in this post really gave me some fantastic information into the Morgan side of my family history.
Thanks

STEPHENS & MORGAN Cinderford -prior thread

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, April 13, 2010, 12:07 (5099 days ago) @ hayste

you should find this interesting :-
http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=23941

Henry Stephens abt 1853 Gloucester, Gloucestershire, England Head Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Emma Stephens abt 1859 Gloucester, Gloucestershire, England Wife Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Edgar Stephens abt 1879 Ince, Lancashire, England Son Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
William Stephens abt 1882 Ince, Lancashire, England Son Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Alice Stephens abt 1885 Ince, Lancashire, England Daughter Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Louisa Stephens abt 1887 Ince, Lancashire, England Daughter Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Isabella Stephens abt 1897 Ince, Lancashire, England Daughter Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire

Name: Isabella Rebecca Stephens
Year of Registration: 1896
District: Wigan
County: Greater Manchester, Lancashire
Volume: 8c
Page: 101

Estimated birth year: abt 1890
Year of Registration: 1891
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Age at Death: 1
Page: 43

Henry Edwin Stephens abt 1852 Ashfield, Gloucestershire, England Head Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Emma Stephens Henry abt 1859 Ashfield, Gloucestershire, England Wife Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Charlotte Stephens Henry abt 1875 Ashfield, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Edgar Henry Stephens abt 1878 Ince, Lancashire, England Son Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
William James Stephens abt 1881 Ince, Lancashire, England Son Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Alice Susie Stephens abt 1884 Ince, Lancashire, England Daughter Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Lousie Rose Stephens abt 1887 Ince, Lancashire, England Daughter Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Isabella Rebecca Stephens abt 1889 Ince, Lancashire, England Daughter Ince in Makerfield,

Year of Registration: 1890
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
Page: 91

Henry Stephens abt 1851 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Head Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Emma Stephens abt 1858 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Wife Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Charlotte E.B. Stephens abt 1876 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Edgar H. Stephens abt 1879 Ince, Lancashire, England Son Ince in Makerfield,

1871 Littledean
Andrew James Stephens 23
Eliza Stephens 24
Alice Eliza Stephens 2
Reuben James Stephens 11 months
Henry Edwin Stephens 21

James Stephens abt 1810 Ratmarley, Worcestershire, England Head Hasfield, Gloucestershire
Charlott Stephens abt 1821 Teddington, Worcestershire, England Wife Hasfield, Gloucestershire
Charles Stephens abt 1847 Hasfield, Gloucestershire, England Son Hasfield, Gloucestershire
Henry Edwin Stephens abt 1851 Hasfield, Gloucestershire, England Son Hasfield, Gloucestershire
Emily Stephens abt 1855 Hasfield, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Hasfield, Gloucestershire

James Stephens abt 1811 Eastnor, Herefordshire, England Head Hasfield, Gloucestershire
Charlott Stephens abt 1821 Derley, Herefordshire, England Wife Hasfield, Gloucestershire
Andrew James Stephens abt 1848 Hasfield, Gloucestershire, England Son Hasfield, Gloucestershire
Henry Edwin Stephens abt 1851 Hasfield, Gloucestershire, England Son Hasfield, Gloucestershire
Ann Statland abt 1777 Pendock, Worcestershire, England Aunt Hasfield, Gloucestershire

--

by rookancestrybest @, United Kingdom, Tuesday, April 13, 2010, 21:13 (5099 days ago) @ hayste

They will probably have moved because of work. My family moved away because of the industry.

RSS Feed of thread