The Slope Moseley Green or The Slope Whitecroft? (General)

by rachel Hill @, Burlington, Ontario, Canada, Saturday, April 01, 2006, 14:14 (6620 days ago)

The Slope Moseley Green or The Slope Whitecroft?

Does anyone know where this location is on the map.

I have reference to Hill family in the 1881 Census
as Entry #65 The Slope Houses from another piece of research

1881 Whitecroft West Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Sarah Jones abt 1826 Whitecroft W D, Gloucestershire, England Head
Elizabeth Hill abt 1847 Whitecroft W D, Gloucestershire, England Daughter
Mary A. Hill abt 1868 Whitecroft W D, Gloucestershire, England Granddaughter
Annie Hill abt 1871 Whitecroft W D, Gloucestershire, England Granddaughter
Cora Hill abt 1881 Whitecroft W D, Gloucestershire, England Granddaughter
Eunice Hill abt 1873 Whitecroft W D, Gloucestershire, England Granddaughter
Matilda Hill abt 1876 Whitecroft W D, Gloucestershire, England Granddaughter
William Hill abt 1879 Whitecroft W D, Gloucestershire, England Grandson

I may have a reference of possible relations that lived in the same area or group of houses
Connection through Jones, as husband of Sarah Jones listed above.

Death of Henrietta Jones The Slope, Whitecroft
1881, Oct 18 - 6 months

Could this baby's mother be Laura Jones
death: 1882, Mar 1 - 26 years Moseley

If someone has access to the 1881 Census feature "View Image" of the neighbours there may be a connection with the two families if this is indeed a group of houses. Does the building or buildings still stand today?

Thank-you,
Rachel

The Slope Whitecroft -

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, April 04, 2006, 22:41 (6616 days ago) @ rachel Hill

the 1881 census for the HILL family points to Whitecroft, in the area of Park Hill and the New Inn.

The Slope, Park Hill, Whitecroft

by rachel Hill @, Burlington, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, April 05, 2006, 10:23 (6616 days ago) @ slowhands

Dear Slowhands,

Thank-you for looking into "the Slope" houses for me. I have found the "Park Hill" roadway on the multimap.com in the centre of the village. It makes better sense to me that the family be
located in Whitecroft instead of in Mosely Green.

Regards,
Rachel

Park Hill, Whitecroft

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Wednesday, April 05, 2006, 12:24 (6616 days ago) @ rachel Hill

For an Old map, modern map and Aerial view of the approx area go here :-

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/
Co-ords 361670,206348

I'm wondering if the Slope lead up to Park Hill lodge (?) to the north west of Whitecroft in the Park Hill inclosure and the tip from the Princess Royal colliery.

Park Hill, Whitecroft

by rachel Hill @, Burlington, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, April 05, 2006, 12:41 (6616 days ago) @ slowhands

It could be possible with the absence of the father for the family in "The Slope"- that he (the father)could have been a collier of the Princess Royal Pits.

The son, William (my great-grandfather), was a deputy collier when he was killed in Nov. 18, 1936 (58 yrs) in a mining accident. My great uncle William Hill also worked at Princess Royal but quit soon after the death of his father.

Rachel

Park Hill, Whitecroft

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Wednesday, April 05, 2006, 13:13 (6616 days ago) @ rachel Hill

Both Sarah Jones and Elizabeth Hill (nee Jones) are Widows in the 1881 census

Park Hill, Whitecroft

by rachel Hill @, Burlington, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, April 05, 2006, 13:26 (6616 days ago) @ slowhands

Sorry for the confusion, I should have been more clear in my previous post.

It was Elizabeth's husband __________ Hill that I was refering to as being the "father" of the young children listed at the residence for the census record, a possible collier.

I am still searching to find out if Ezra Hill is indeed the same person as William Hill (as mentioned in some of my records) This person or people are the subject of another thread entitled "William Frederick Hill, Moseley Green"

Regards,
Rachel

RSS Feed of thread