Pillowell House (General)

by kathy Jones @, Wales, Monday, April 03, 2006, 12:26 (6618 days ago)

Please can anyone tell me the location of Pillowell House, Pillowell, and if it is still there. My Gt. Gt. Grandfather Henry Elway, was an Overman at the Colliery and lived there 1881 to 1900's.
Thanks Kathy

Pillowell House

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, April 04, 2006, 21:35 (6616 days ago) @ kathy Jones

Looking at the Census "run" it appears to be the first house collected by the enumerator.

It may have been a Colliery house, or simply just a cottage with a name. I don't think it was a "significant" house like a Manor or other high status home.

I cannot find it marked on the old maps I have .

Sorry if this is not a lot of help :-)

Pillowell House

by watty, Wednesday, April 05, 2006, 12:49 (6616 days ago) @ kathy Jones

Kathy
Sorry I have not been able to find any house in Pillowell called by that name, at the moment as a lot of the names of the older house's have been changed when people move into the village.
I have got a report of lad James Elway going into the Pillowell Level with others, to try and find three men who had gone into the mine to try and sort out a ventilation and water problem. Unfortunatly they only found them dead. One of them being my Great Grandmother's brother.
I don't know if this James is related to you.
ron watkins

Pillowell House

by Kathy Jones @, Wales, Tuesday, April 11, 2006, 06:40 (6610 days ago) @ watty

Hi Watty, Thank you for your help. James was a member of my Family. Have your any more information on the incident, and may I add it to the notes of my Tree. Thanks again. Kathy

Pillowell House

by watty, Wednesday, April 19, 2006, 12:14 (6602 days ago) @ kathy Jones

Hi Kathy
I have been talking to some of the old folk in Pillowell and one of them who is 91 remembers a Tammy Elway living at Pillowell Level. This is near one of the Pillowell mines where the lad James Elway worked. The house has been pulled down and a large bungalow built on the orginal site. He thinks this may be the house your are looking for. On my website there is an old photo of Pillowell level in the 1910's and the house he described to me is on there.

Watty

Does Pillowell House still exist

by KathyJ @, Wednesday, August 24, 2011, 14:13 (4649 days ago) @ kathy Jones

can anyone tell me if pllowell house still existes, if so where it is, my gt grandfather lived there? Thanks

RSS Feed of thread