Fears in Lydbrook (General)

by Andy, Thursday, April 06, 2006, 03:14 (6615 days ago)

Hi,
Does anyone have any knowledge of the Fear family living in Lydbrook from around 1890 onwards. I know that Francis Fear was Inn Keeper at the Forgehammer Inn in Lower Lydbrook in 1901, and that his brother Walter was listed as Inn Keeper there in 1903. Francis, and subsequently his Wife and Son (Reginald), then ran the local bakery/petrol station.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

FEAR Lydbrook ( ex Somerset )

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Thursday, April 06, 2006, 06:19 (6614 days ago) @ Andy

The Fear family have strong roots in Somerset and Bristol

1901 Forge Hammer Lydbrook + Bread baker
Francis John Fear abt 1867 West Camel, Somerset, England Head Ruardean Herefordshire
Rose Hannah Fear abt 1869 Ledbury, Herefordshire, England Wife Ruardean Herefordshire
Henry Charles Fear abt 1900 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Son Ruardean Herefordshire
Hilda May Fear abt 1899 Ebbw Vale, Monmouthshire, Wales Daughter Ruardean Herefordshire
Reginald Francis Fear abt 1895 Ebbw Vale, Monmouthshire, Wales Son Ruardean Herefordshire

1891 Commercial St
Francis I Fear abt 1867 West Carmel, Somerset, England Boarder Bedwellty Monmouthshire Baker

William Fear abt 1831 Shepton Mallet, Somerset, England Head Cheltenham Gloucestershire
Elisabeth Fear abt 1833 Meare, Somerset, England Wife Cheltenham Gloucestershire
Abraham Fear abt 1870 Yeovil, Somerset, England Son Cheltenham Gloucestershire
Earnest E. Fear abt 1863 Meare, Somerset, England Son Cheltenham Gloucestershire
Francis J. Fear abt 1867 West Camel, Somerset, England Son Cheltenham Gloucestershire
Gertrude M. Fear abt 1873 Queen Camel, Somerset, England Daughter Cheltenham Gloucestershire
Minnie J. Fear abt 1868 West Camel, Somerset, England Daughter Cheltenham Gloucestershire
Walter Fear abt 1872 Queen Camel, Somerset, England Son Cheltenham Gloucestershire

William Fear abt 1830 Sutton Mallet, Somerset, England Head Queen Camel Somerset
Elizabeth Fear abt 1833 Meare, Wiltshire, England Wife Queen Camel Somerset
Abraham Fear abt 1870 Yeovil Son Queen Camel Somerset
Bessie Fear abt 1865 Lidford, Somerset, England Daughter Queen Camel Somerset
Ernest Fear abt 1863 Meare, Wiltshire, England Son Queen Camel Somerset
Francis John Fear abt 1867 West Camel, Somerset, England Son Queen Camel Somerset
Henry Edward Fear abt 1866 West Camel, Somerset, England Son Queen Camel Somerset
Mennie Fear abt 1868 West Camel, Somerset, England Daughter Queen Camel Somerset
William Arthur Fear abt 1862 Meare, Wiltshire, England Son Queen Camel Somerset

Solomon Difford abt 1802 Meare, Somerset, England Head Meare Somerset
Arthur Difford abt 1837 Meare, Somerset, England Son Meare Somerset
William Fear abt 1831 Edington, Somerset, England Son-in-law Meare Somerset
Elizabeth Fear abt 1824 Meare, Somerset, England Daughter Meare Somerset

1851 ??

1841 Edington
HO107/964/16
Registration district: Bridgwater
Sub-registration district: Polden Hill
ED, institution, or vessel: 8
Folio: 10
Page: 15

William Fear abt 1826 Somerset, England Moorlinch Somerset Male Servant

Fears in Lydbrook

by May @, Wednesday, April 26, 2006, 01:48 (6595 days ago) @ Andy

Hi,

I think we may have a few leads for you on some members of this family. Most of it is still in my husbands' head and it will take time to write it down for you to check out. Briefly the bakery in Lydbrook is well remembered. There were two brothers Harvey and Pete(r) but sadly both have now died, and a daughter who married someone called Cole. Harvey was a baker, delivering bread on Leys Hill (near Bishopswood, Herefordshire) and he had a shop/cafe in Ross on Wye. He also owned the "Top Spot" which was a nightclub in Ross from the 1960's. Pete also was in business in Ross and I think he had connections with motor sport (rallying). He has only recently died. I will find out more for you but I will need a little time to get my husband John and one of our neighbours together to get the detail. Also, there was a girl called Elizabeth Harvey from Lydbrook in my year at school who may be connected with this family. Hope this helps for now.

May

Fears in Lydbrook

by Andy, Wednesday, April 26, 2006, 10:42 (6594 days ago) @ May

Thanks for the feedback. I have already traced the family around Somerset, they were fairly mobile probably due to the nature of William's work as a Dairyman.

I am very interested in the link to Ross. By chance I ended up living there for a while, and was aware of Peter (although not as a relative) as he ran the Gwalia (a well known local shop). It's only recently that I found the family had any connection with the area, so I was interested to see whether a joking remark that he must be a distant cousin of mine actually had more truth in it than was expected!

Thanks again.

Fears in Lydbrook

by May @, Wednesday, April 26, 2006, 12:41 (6594 days ago) @ Andy

In your reference to Gwalia in your last post you have the right family.

Walter was Reginald's father, and I have been brought a note this afternoon (from a friend of a friend of my husband's) to say:- " Reginald married twice: Reginald had Harvey and Hilda with his first wife and another daughter (Miriam?) and Peter with his second wife: Reginald was a Master Baker and he had apprentices at the Lydbrook bakehouse". I've also been told today that the bread and cakes he made were delicious.

Isn't the Forest "telegraph" wonderful. I only asked the question this morning.

Harvey, the eldest, was in the forces at the end of the war. He had a bakers/cafe just a few doors from the Gwalia shop you mentioned in Ross, and the "Top Spot" which he built was behind the bakery/cafe, in Kyrle Street. Harvey was a staunch member of the Lydbrook Local History group from its beginning and you might like to write to them as I'm told they probably have pictures etc. of the Lydbrook Bakery and Petrol Pump which was down by the road junction at the bottom of Lydbrook, near the river. Harvey died only a few years ago.

Hilda, I am told, is recently widowed but still living in the Forest area. I met her a couple of times in the shop when I was the Worrall Hill postmistress.

Pete, the youngest of Reg's children, has also died, but only a few months ago. Pete was into car rallying and did own the Gwalia Stores Ross and a Van Hire business also. His widow lives in the Ross area.

As you will know, it is not good etiquette to discuss people's living relatives on the net but this should be enough info to kick start your search. Perhaps a general enquiry letter to the local newspapers will produce the contact you want. The Forest and Wye Valley Review, is a free paper distributed in Ross as well as the Forest and does carry such items.

My husband knew both Harvey and Pete, so we are interested in how this turns out so please drop us a line sometime (off list).

May

RSS Feed of thread