Lady Darri at the Wilderness (General)

by Jim Moore @, California, Friday, April 14, 2006, 14:14 (6606 days ago)

Does anyone have any information on a Lady Darri who lived at the Wilderness before Colchester-Wemyss? An ancestor, George Samuel Baggett (1867 - 1930+), wrote the following in a 1924 letter to my great uncle, Joseph Hopkins (1881 - 1962):

"Lady Darri used to live at the Wilderness near the Beech Walks about 1 ½ miles from Drybrook. My father rented our home from her. She always treated my father as her equal and always wrote his name on the rent receipts as James Bagot. At her death, Colchester-Wemyss succeeded to the estate. He was there when you were a boy in Drybrook."

I believe that Lady Darri would have lived at the Wilderness sometime between 1850 and 1880.

In September 2005, my wife and I were able to tour the Wilderness grounds by appointment one afternoon. We also hiked the "Beech Walks" with our relatives from Cinderford. The largest Beech trees were over 5 feet in diameter.

Jim Moore
Cupertino, CA

The Wilderness, Plump Hill

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, April 15, 2006, 00:25 (6606 days ago) @ Jim Moore

The Wilderness Plump Hill / Mitcheldean, parish of Abinhall, was in the hands of the Colchester / Davies family in the period 1851 - 1881, so is Lady Darri also "Lady" Henrietta Davies ( pronounced Davii ) ?

1851 The Wilderness, Abinghall Gloucestershire
Maynard Colchester abt 1786 Westbury, Gloucestershire, England Head
Arabella Colchester abt 1793 Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire, England Sister
Henrietta Davies abt 1792 Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire, England Sister
William Cooper abt 1832 Gloucestershire, England Servant
Sophia Davies abt 1824 Garway, Herefordshire, England Servant
Sarah Griffith abt 1825 Burghill, Herefordshire, England Servant
Louisa Maddox abt 1834 Longwem, Herefordshire, England Servant
Ambrose Nicholls abt 1816 Great Alne, Somerset, England Servant
Thomas Powell abt 1802 Willington, Herefordshire, England Servant
Patience Bullock abt 1827 Huntley, Gloucestershire, England Servant

1861 The Wilderness Abinghall Gloucestershire

Harrietta Davis abt 1801 Wessington Seven, Gloucestershire, England Head
Mary James abt 1811 Jefferson, Gloucestershire, England Servant
Edith Machen abt 1854 Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire, England Visitor
Lucy Machen abt 1849 Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire, England Visitor
Ambrose Nicholes abt 1817 Great Elm, Gloucestershire, England Servant
Eliza Richards abt 1834 Sea, Gloucestershire, England Servant
Maria Richards abt 1836 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Servant
George Roberts abt 1818 Ampthill, Gloucestershire, England Servant
Eliza Walters abt 1844 Gloucestershire, England Servant
Thomas Cooper abt 1845 English Bicknor, Gloucestershire, England Servant

1871 The Wilderness House Abinghall Gloucestershire
Henrietta Davis abt 1792 Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire, England Head
Mary Elizabeth Wemyn abt 1819 St Briavels, Gloucestershire, England Niece
Mary Ann Emery abt 1834 Leigh, Essex, England Servant
Armine Woodhouse Fox abt 1870 Wesker Fuper, Somerset, England Visitor Abinghall Gloucestershire
Rachel Cooper abt 1855 English Bicknor, Gloucestershire, England Servant
Eliza Frances Fox abt 1865 Kampla, Gloucestershire, England Visitor
Georgana Sarah Fox abt 1831 Watford, Herefordshire, England Visitor
Lionel Woodhouse Fox abt 1866 Kampla, Gloucestershire, England Visitor
William Chas Fox abt 1827 Bristol, Gloucestershire, England Visitor
William Mathews abt 1852 English Bicknor, Gloucestershire, England Servant
Ambrose Nicholls abt 1840 Gileston, Somerset, England Servant
Mary Ann Parry abt 1844 Longhope, Gloucestershire, England Servant
Esther Elizabeth Ross abt 1854 Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire, England Servant
Mary Ann Smart abt 1847 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Servant
Edwin Thoms abt 1845 West Hilsberg, Berkshire, England Servant
Elizabeth Welters abt 1844 Stackpoole, Pembrokeshire, Wales Servant
THE WILDERNESS, the seat of Mrs. H. Davies, stands on a hill about 900 feet above the level of the sea; it is beautifully wooded, and affords a prospect rarely equalled, commanding views of the Severn, the Vale of Gloucester, and the Malvern Hills.

1881 The Wilderness Abinghall Gloucestershire
Maynard W.W. Colchester JP abt 1847 Long Hope, Gloucestershire, England Head
Mary C.W. Colchester abt 1849 Deal ((West Hoathly)), Sussex, England Wife
Cecil D.W. Colchester abt 1877 London Abenhall, Middlesex, England Daughter
Geraldine M. C. W. Colchester abt 1874 London, Middlesex, England Daughter
John M.W. Colchester abt 1880 London Abenhall, Gloucestershire, England Son
Maynard T.E.W. Colchester abt 1872 West Hoathly, Sussex, England Son
Jane Baldwin abt 1831 Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire, England Servant
William Eagles abt 1855 Hardwiche, Gloucestershire, England Servant
Eliz.E. Inmar abt 1850 Bethnal Green, Middlesex, England Servant
Mary J. Large abt 1859 Painswick, Gloucestershire, England Servant
Clara Mallett abt 1856 Winchcomb, Gloucestershire, England Servant
Emily E. Owens abt 1864 Eardisley, Hereford, England Servant
Mary A. Smart abt 1847 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Servant

The Wilderness, Plump Hill

by Jim Moore @, California, Saturday, April 15, 2006, 13:18 (6605 days ago) @ slowhands

Slowhands,

Thanks for the info re Lady Darri of the Wilderness.

Your comment that Henrietta Davies name was pronounced Davii may explain why the referenced 1924 letter referred to her as Lady Darri. The original 1924 letter was handwritten -- I have a typewritten copy made in 1948. It is likely that the typist (one of Joseph E. Hopkins' granddaughters) interpreted the handwritten last name to be Darri instead of Davies, Davvi, or Davii. I have already corrected a few family and place name errors in the typed letter: Colchester-Wemyss and Crump Meadow Colliery.

I created a MS Word copy of this 1924 letter and have, to date, added 26 footnotes to provide background information on the family names, relationships, place names, etc. that George S. Baggett mentions in his letter to my great uncle Joseph E. Hopkins. This letter, some postcards, two journals, and many photos were very useful when I started to research my Moore/Goode/Hopkins/Meek/Baggett/Bright/Hatton ancestors from the Forest of Dean.

"Kampla" on Wilderness /Plump Hill thread

by janethowell, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 17:03 (3584 days ago) @ slowhands

Interested to see the place name "Kampla" for 3 of the visitors.

Is there a place called Kampla or is it a corruption / miss-transcription of another place?

Janet

Fox - Frampton Cotterell

by MPGriffiths @, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 17:40 (3584 days ago) @ janethowell

The Fox children are on Public Members Tree on Ancestry

These Fox children's (born Frampton Cotterell) parents are William Charles FOX - 1826-1883 and Georgina Sarah WODEHOUSE - 1831-1901 - who married in Uxbridge, Somerset in 1863

Looking at these trees - William Charles FOX aged 14 is on the 1841 census at Dr Foxs - Northwoods Frampton Cotterell Lunatic Asylum - with a Henry Hassan** Fox age 50 Physician - both born in the County

On the 1861 Census, William Charles FOX is the Curate of Frampton Cotterell - born Bristol

** as transcribed
---

On the 1881 census, Lionel is a Pupil at Marlborough College

Lady Darri at the Wilderness

by Con @, Monday, April 17, 2006, 06:52 (6604 days ago) @ Jim Moore

My father owns a Bible inscribed to his grandfather, Charles NELMES, from a Mrs. Davies, dated in the mid-1860's, I think (cannot locate my copy of the inscription quickly). Charles appears to be living in Flaxley in the 1861 census and has immigrated to the US by 1870.
In reading the Victoria county history of Glos, I came across the fact that Henrietta Davis had sponsored a local school in or neare Flaxley. I wonder whether she gave the Bible to my grandfather on what might have been his 18th birthday or so?? In 1861 Charles and his brother Phillip (who also emigrated) were "servants" aged 14 (or 16?) and 9 on a farm in Flaxley. Not quite sure how they landed there, after living in Shapridge/Abinghall area with parents before that date.

Abenhall -> Shapridge -> Flaxley

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, April 17, 2006, 09:15 (6603 days ago) @ Con

Each "hop" is about a mile , and its hard on the ground to spot when Abenhall becomes Shapridge becomes Flaxley, so it should not be too surprising to see people recorded in these places/parishes. The young 'un s are sometimes found working on a nearby farm, probably better than underground.....

<<Unlike some Collafield folk who pop up in Ohio for a US Census and then are back in Littledean for the next English Census :-) >>

1841 Shapridge HO 107 364 8 folio 23
NELMES James 40 Ag Lab
Jane 35
William 19
Joseph 11
James 9
Charlotte 5
Jane 3
all born in county

1851 Shapridge Hill
NELMES James 51 Wood Collier Abinghall
Jane 45 Abinghall
James 18 Wood Collier East Dean
Charlotte 15 East Dean
Jane 13 East Dean
Charles 6 East Dean
George 4 East Dean

1861 Flaxley Parish - looks like Littledean nr Dean Hall / Maidenham farm
< home of William Gwilliam Farm Baliff>
William Nelmes abt 1796 Weston Under Penyard, Herefordshire, England Visitor Flaxley Gloucestershire
Charles Nelmes abt 1845 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Servant Flaxley Gloucestershire
Phillip Nelmes abt 1852 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Servant Flaxley Gloucestershire

Is William Nelmes an Uncle to teh two Nelmes boys ? Have their parents died by 1861 ?

RSS Feed of thread