Barzillai MEEK - Marriage in Ruardean Church - question (General)

by Jenny White, Thursday, April 27, 2006, 21:56 (6584 days ago)

Hi

I have just received the marriage certificate of Barzillai MEEK and Hannah COWMEADOW. This is Barzillai's second marriage, his first wife Elizabeth having died.

The certificate is very strange in that the information it contains is minimal in the extreme. The marriage took place on 4 Sept 1842 and was solemnized at Ruardean Church in the parish of Ruardean. The bride and groom were "of age", Barzillai was a widower and a labourer and Hannah a spinster. Place of residence was "The Forest of Dean". Neither the bride or groom's fathers are mentioned.

The couple were married according to the rites of the established church of England by Henry FORMBY.

There are no signatures, marks, in fact nothing at all is written, in the section where the bride and groom ususally sign their name (it is totally blank) . Similarly, there is nothing at all in the section where the witnesses usually sign their names.

I have looked through the marriages for Ruardean in the Parish Records section of the site and found this particular marriage. There is no more information to be had there though.

The certificate looks to be a photocopy and is not a typed version.

Anyone have any ideas as to what happened?

Jenny

Barzillai MEEK - Marriage in Ruardean Church - question

by julie whitworth, Saturday, April 29, 2006, 07:18 (6582 days ago) @ Jenny White

Have you tried the igi records LDS www.familysearch.org

Julie

Barzillai MEEK - Marriage in Ruardean Church - question

by julie whitworth, Saturday, April 29, 2006, 07:41 (6582 days ago) @ Jenny White

1841 census shows Brazillai Meek age 48 lime burner
Elizabeth Meek age 15
Maria Meek age 12
Charlotte Meek age 12
Hannah Cowmeadow age 25
Mary Ann Cowmeadow age 11

born Gloucestershire
civil parish Doean of Dean
St. Briavells, Glos
source info H0107/364/7 Reg dist. Ross Sub reg.distRoss

Also there is a Elizabeth Meek age 70 occ ind.

Julie

associated thread

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, April 29, 2006, 09:00 (6582 days ago) @ Jenny White

http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=1644#p1660

... they were both over 21 so I guess the minmum of information was necessary :-) looks like Hannah was his house keeper ( or lodger) which ties back in with the Hannah Cowmeadow "wrong doing" of Mrs. Meek whilst in her service.

associated thread

by Jenny White, Saturday, April 29, 2006, 11:45 (6582 days ago) @ slowhands

Thanks for your replies.

I have seen the info on the IGI which suggests Cornelius Meek and Elizabeth Taylor are Barzillai's parents. I had already seen the marriage of Barzillai to Hannah Cowmeadow in the Ruardean parish entries but thought if I sent for the certificate it might confirm Barzillai's father. I am descended from Barzillai's daughter Ann Meek, the daughter of his first marriage to Elizabeth Jones.

It was just that I had never seen a marriage certificate which has the area where the bride and groom or witnesses signed totally blank.

Jenny

associated thread

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, April 30, 2006, 02:32 (6582 days ago) @ Jenny White

Jenny

I understand your challenge , you are at the "balance of probability " point I suspect , esp after the "blank" on the marriage cert../ Parish record entry

Did you ever look at the possible Birth entry for Basil/Brazil/ Brazillai ?

regards
S

RSS Feed of thread