JANE PARTRIDGE & family (General)

by Bonnie, Saturday, May 06, 2006, 23:31 (6572 days ago)

I am not able to find the GRO details for JANE PARTRIDGE b.1837 at The Temple, Little Dean. I have already sent for a birth certificate but it was for the wrong Jane. Could someone please do a census look up for me please?
ALSO - SAMUEL YATES - father of WILLIAM YATES b.1823. Many thanks, Bonnie, Perth West Australia.

The TEMPLE , Dean Hill - PALMER Family

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, May 07, 2006, 01:38 (6572 days ago) @ Bonnie

The Temple nr Pleasant Style and (Little) Dean Hall was in the hands of the PALMER family from the 1841 census on.
Mary and Susan Palmer being born around 1837.
Someone else may know when the family became the Farmers at the Temple.

I'm struggling to find a Partridge family in Little Dean, where where the Yates family living ?

1841 The Temple, Temple Lane Littledean
John Palmer abt 1806 Gloucestershire, England Little Dean Gloucestershire farmer
Ann Palmer abt 1811 Gloucestershire, England Little Dean Gloucestershire
John Palmer abt 1840 Gloucestershire, England Little Dean Gloucestershire
Mary Palmer abt 1838 Gloucestershire, England Little Dean Gloucestershire
Susanna Palmer abt 1836 Gloucestershire, England Little Dean Gloucestershire
Ann Moulder abt 1826 Gloucestershire, England Little Dean Gloucestershire
Mary Vaile abt 1826 Gloucestershire, England Little Dean Gloucestershire

1851 Temple Lane Littledean
John Palmer abt 1803 Flaxley, Gloucestershire, England Head Little Dean Gloucestershire Farmer
Ann Palmer abt 1807 Westbury, Gloucestershire, England Wife Little Dean Gloucestershire
Ann Palmer abt 1831 Flaxley, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Little Dean Gloucestershire
Charles Palmer abt 1842 Little Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son Little Dean Gloucestershire
John Palmer abt 1840 Little Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son Little Dean Gloucestershire
Joseph Palmer abt 1847 Little Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son Little Dean Gloucestershire
Mary Palmer abt 1838 Little Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Little Dean Gloucestershire
Susan Palmer abt 1836 Little Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Little Dean Gloucestershire
Jane Brain abt 1836 Little Dean, Gloucestershire, England Servant Little Dean Gloucestershire
John Salcomb abt 1834 Barnwood, Gloucestershire, England Servant Little Dean Gloucestershire

1861 The Temple Lttledean
John Palmer abt 1804 Hoxley, Gloucestershire, England Head Littledean Gloucestershire Farmer
Ann Palmer abt 1807 Sibbertoft, Gloucestershire, England Wife Littledean Gloucestershire
Ann Palmer abt 1834 Flaxley, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Littledean Gloucestershire
John Palmer abt 1842 Littledean, Gloucestershire, England Son Littledean Gloucestershire
Joseph Palmer abt 1846 Littledean, Gloucestershire, England Son Littledean Gloucestershire
Mary Palmer abt 1840 Littledean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Littledean Gloucestershire
Ann Palmer abt 1785 Tibberton, Gloucestershire, England Mother-in-law Littledean Gloucestershire
Thomas Townsend abt 1837 Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire, England Servant Littledean Gloucestershire

The TEMPLE , Dean Hill - PALMER Family

by Bonnie, Sunday, May 07, 2006, 03:18 (6572 days ago) @ slowhands

Hi Slowhands and thanks for your reply. I've made a great mistake....'think I've been at the computer too long!. The name is actually JANE PRITCHARD. I'll give you a message from my cousin Elsie Boughton of Newent.She discovered information in the old Family Bible. QUOTE- "The younger "HENRY BOUGHTON" married JANE PRITCHARD on 4 Nov 1860 at St John's Church, Cinderford. Jane was the daughter of Wm & Hester Pritchard who 'farmed' at The Temple, on Pleasant Style, Littledean. Henry, who described himself as a farmer & butcher, was aged 26, Jane 23. Jane's father had been born in Monmouthshire, but married a girl from Littledean and settled there. In the 1841 census he had been marked down as an agricultural labourer, but by 1851 he was the possessor of a farm, severeal cottages and other wealth. WILLIAM PRITCHARD seems to have been short tempered and fought with both the vicar and chapel minister at different times, which may have been the reason for the marriage at Cinderford. Equally, the fact that Jane was already pregnant, might have been the reason. Her first child, Joseph Walter, was born the following May. Jane was the dominant partner in the marriage: She inherited her father's sharp temper, whereas Henry was very easy going. Henry & Jane set up home with Henry's parents, Henry & Ann Boughton, though on census day in 1861, Jane was staying with her parents. Their first son Joseph was born on 14th May at Popes Hill. -UNQUOTE
All I need is the Page no. and Vol no. so that I can order the birth cert from GRO. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bonnie.

PRITCHARD Family - Blaize Bailey

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, May 07, 2006, 08:21 (6572 days ago) @ Bonnie

Looks like there is a chance she isn't in the BMD ( real not Free)
If she was born early 1837 she would have missed the start of the GRO's BMD records. She may be in the Parish records, the Transcription project as yet to complete the Littledean baptisms ( if I recall correctly) - Mike G may be able to throw some light ....

1841 Blaize Bailey
William Pritchard abt 1800 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest Gloucestershire
Esther Pritchard abt 1801 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest Gloucestershire
John Pritchard abt 1834 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest Gloucestershire
Jane Pritchard abt 1837 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest Gloucestershire
<maybe sharing same address>
Charlotte Hall abt 1815 Dean Forest Gloucestershire
Thomas Hall abt 1814 Dean Forest Gloucestershire
Mary Huggins abt 1832 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest Gloucestershire
Mary Smith abt 1816 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest Gloucestershire

1851 Blaize Bailey
William Pritchard abt 1799 Catpath, Monmouthshire, Wales Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Esten Pritchard abt 1801 Flaxley, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
John Pritchard abt 1834 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Jane Pritchard abt 1838 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire

1861 Blaize Bailey
Williams Pritchard abt 1800 Catepoth, Monmouthshire, Wales Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Esther Pritchard abt 1801 Horsley, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
John Pritchard abt 1835 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Jane Boughton abt 1838 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire

Henry Boughton abt 1834 Flaxley, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Jane Boughton abt 1838 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Ann Boughton abt 1866 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Jane Boughton abt 1870 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Joseph Boughton abt 1862 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Oliver Boughton abt 1863 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire

1871 Blaize Bailey nr White Horse Inn
William Pritchard abt 1801 Cotepoth, Monmouthshire, Wales Head East Dean Gloucestershire
John W Pritchard abt 1837 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Susanna Pritchard abt 1837 Elmore, Gloucestershire, England Sons Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Susanna J Pritchard abt 1870 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire

by Bonnie, Sunday, May 07, 2006, 19:00 (6571 days ago) @ slowhands

Thank you slowhands. There seems to be so many variants in the census info. I will try the Parish Records on this site if I can. My cousin is adamant that Jane was born in 1837, not 1838 as transcribed in the 1851 - 61 and 71 censuses. The Boughton info is helpful as it does confirm Jane & Henry together. Thanks again for your help. Cheers, Bonnie

by shepway @, Sunday, May 07, 2006, 22:23 (6571 days ago) @ Bonnie

Jane's age is given as 13 in the 1851 Census which was taken on 30 March of that year. So Jane would have been born on a date between 31 March 1837 and 30 March 1838. Birth may not have been registered as it was not compulsory or birth may have been just before commencement of Civil Registration on 1 July 1837.

Mike

by Bonnie, Monday, May 08, 2006, 02:18 (6571 days ago) @ shepway

Thank you Mike. That explains why I can't see the birth on freeBMD. Cheers, Bonnie.

by Tina HM, Tuesday, August 29, 2017, 18:29 (2439 days ago) @ Bonnie

Hi Bonnie,

My Great Grandmother x 4 was Jane Pritchard who was born in Builth, Brecon in 1838, she married James Brown and lived in Rangoon, India for a while having her daughter Fanny Brown there in 1857 who then married John Thomas Thompson and they had my Great gran x2 Jane Thompson. She had a sister called Elvina who to our family was known as a Romany Gypsy. There are also other Romany names in the family such as Rosina, Lily. She was very dark skinned and looked like an Indian Squaw. I know that Pritchard is a Romany name and in wales and I am wondering as we seem to be talking about the same family, you have any further info on this? They travelled around a lot, I have Builth, Llanelly, Blaine Bailey, Lyndsey, Dursley. My branch of the family settled in Bristol.

Any help would be great, thanks.

by Ian @, England, Saturday, July 01, 2006, 01:23 (6517 days ago) @ Bonnie

I am researching a Pritchard family from Littledean up to the 1850’s, there may be a connection to your William Pritchard of Blaize Bailey near Littledean.

29 Sep 1795 James Pritchard married Elizabeth Davies in Goodrich HEF by licence. The licence named James Pritchard, Butcher, of Goodrich and Thomas Pritchard, Grazier, of Hewelsfield GLS. Witnesses to the marriage were Mary Cotton and Wm. Pritchard.

James and Elizabeth’s first 3 children:-
James Pritchard baptised 31 July 1796 Goodrich HEF
William Pritchard baptised 4 Jun 1798 Tregare MON, received into church Goodrich HEF 8 Jun 1798.
Elizabeth Pritchard baptised 1800 Tregare MON.

James Pritchard (b 1798) married Sarah Pope at Monmouth 4 May 1817, both were from ex parochial part of Forest of Dean adjoining St. Briavels GLS.

1841 Census at Littledeanhill GLS
James Pritchard abt 1800, carpenter
Sarah Pritchard abt 1800
William Pritchard abt 1820, collier
Eliza Pritchard 1823
Sophia Pritchard 1834
Anne Pritchard 1840

1841 Censes Littledean
James Pritchard abt 1775, innkeeper
Elizabeth Pritchard abt 1775
John Pritchard abt 1810
Edwin Pritchard abt 1820

In the early 1840’s James and Sarah Pritchard and their children moved up the River Severn to Stourport-on-Severn in Worcs.

1851 Census Upper Mitton (Stourport, Worcs)
James Pritchard 1796, carpenter, born Goodrich HEF
Sarah Pritchard 1797, born Welsh Newton HEF
Sophia Pritchard 1834, born Littledean GLS
Anne Pritchard 1840, born Littledean GLS

Their children Eliza, William and Jesua had all married and were living in or near Stourport by 1851.

When I looked through the Littledean parish records some of James and Sarah’s children were baptised and buried in Littledean. I don’t remember seeing a Jane Pritchard daughter of William.

There is a marriage of William Pritchard to Hester Wellington in St. Briavels 29 Mar 1831 which sounds about the right sort of date.

I have not traced what happened to the William Pritchard christened 1798 in Tregare MON, but had noted down your William Pritchard as a possibility due to age, connection with St. Briavels, occupation and county of birth. I haven’t been able to find anywhere in MON with a place name of Catpath or variations of its spelling. If you’ve traced your William Pritchard back and its not this one would you please let me so I can eliminate him from my search.

Thanks
Ian

Catpath, Cotepath etc ???

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, July 01, 2006, 02:56 (6517 days ago) @ Ian

in MON with a place name of Catpath or variations of its spelling.

My suspicion falls on the remote village of Kilpeck, (Cilpeck, Killpeck) http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/HEF/Kilpeck/index.html

its between Hereford & Monmouth on the borders, and has had Pritchard Farming connections. i.e 1876 Pritchard Mrs. Phoebe, farmer, Baggallydiatt
The Pritchards also appear in Garway.

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/
co ords 344500,230500

Tregare is near Raglan, however there is also a Tretire closer to Goodrich and Garway

Catpath, Cotepath etc ???

by Ian ⌂, Sunday, July 02, 2006, 22:52 (6515 days ago) @ slowhands

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I'll check Kilpeck out.
I'm happy Tregare near Raglan is OK both from a fortunately legilble Goodrich parish record entry and also BT transcriptions for Tregare MON through a link on www.genuki.co.uk.

Thanks
Ian

by Bonnie, Friday, July 07, 2006, 04:16 (6511 days ago) @ Ian

Hi Ian, sorry to take so long with a reply, I've been away looking after Grandchildren.

RE: William Pritchard and Hester Wellington, this is a correct Match according to my Cousin. It will be some time before I can get back to the research as present family comes first.

Thanks for all your help.

by Ian @, Tuesday, July 18, 2006, 13:01 (6499 days ago) @ Bonnie

Hi Bonnie

I think your William Pritchard and my William Pritchard son of James Pritchard are the same one.

James Pritchard, Victuallor and Innkeeper in Littledean, died 29 Jan 1851 age 79, his wife Elizabeth had already died age 77 on 26 Nov 1850.
In his will dated 7 Jan 1851 he appointed his son William Pritchard as executor dividing the proceeds from the sale of his goods equally between his sons and daughters, James, the said William, John, Sarah, Mary, Belinda, Ann and the issue of his late son Edwin Pritchard of Newnham. Unfortunately there is no note in the will of his daughters' married names nor where any of his children were living.

The letter granting probate to William Pritchard, yeoman of East Dean, has written, in a different handwriting, across the corner “Send probate by post directed to Mr W Pritchard Blaise Bailey East Dean Nr Newnham”.

One of the witnesses to the will is a William Wellington. From this site’s Parish Records Project there is a record of the marriage of a William Wellington to Sarah Nelmes witnessed by William and Ester Pritchard (nee Wellington) on 5 Mar 1833 in Abenhall.

My work on these Pritchards is work in progress and very incomplete and most of the Pritchard information I have doesn’t relate to the Forest of Dean (as they moved around a lot!) so if you would like any further information please contact me direct on my email address.

Ian

JANE PARTRIDGE & family

by Julie, Saturday, July 01, 2006, 05:32 (6517 days ago) @ Bonnie

hi Bonnie, have found a marriage on he igi for William Pritchard and Hester Wellington 29-03-1831 St. Brivels, Glos.

Julie

JANE PARTRIDGE & family

by Bonnie, Friday, July 07, 2006, 04:20 (6511 days ago) @ Julie

Thanks Julie, I'll chase up the cerftificate.
Bonnie.

RSS Feed of thread