Save the Forest of Dean from sell-off (Announce)

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 17:47 (4923 days ago)

[image]

The government is getting ready for a huge sell-off of our national forests to private firms. This could mean ancient woodlands are chopped down and destroyed. Walkers and endangered animals, like red squirrels and owls, would have to make way for Center Parcs-style holiday villages, golf courses, and logging companies. [1]

We need to stop these plans. Ancient forests like the Forest of Dean and Sherwood Forest are national treasures - once theyre gone, they are lost forever. A huge petition will force the government to rethink. If we can prove how strongly thousands of us are against this, we can make them back down.

Please click here to add your name to a petition saying save our forests:
http://www.38degrees.org.uk/save-our-forests

The government needs to get new laws through Parliament before these plans can go ahead. That means we have time to stop them. If we build a huge petition, we will prove that the public doesnt want precious woodland to be flogged off. That will make MPs think twice about voting for it.

When we work together, we can stop the government from forcing through these kind of bad plans. They probably think that with all the focus on cuts, no-one will have time to spare to speak up for forests. 38 Degrees members know how to work on more than one issue at once. Were already standing up for the NHS and the BBC. Were winning our fight against the massive cow factory farm in Lincolnshire. Now lets stand up for Britains ancient forests together, before its too late and theyre gone for good.

Please help build the pressure before its too late. Add your name to our save our forests petition:
http://www.38degrees.org.uk/save-our-forests

Thanks for being involved,

David, Hannah, Johnny and the 38 Degrees team

P.S. If we can build a big enough petition quickly enough, we can get the government to drop these plans right now.

Note [1]

The Telegraph
Ministers plan huge sell-off of Britain's forests

The Independent
Ministers plan huge sell-off of Britain's forests

Guardian
Forests sell-off plan by government is 'asset-stripping our natural heritage

Save the Forest of Dean from sell-off

by rookancestrybest @, United Kingdom, Thursday, October 28, 2010, 20:18 (4922 days ago) @ admin

Thanks for drawing this to our attention, forests and woodlands are our heritage on every level and no price can be put on them. I am shocked to hear of the proposal to sell them off and will do all I can to raise my objections to this proposal. Only yesterday did I look into the definition of "a True Forester". It's over 130 years since the family from which I descend from the Forest of Dean left it and yet their descendants were still proud that they had been "True Foresters". To sell off the Forest of Dean would completely devastate it on every level.

The Woodland Trust tries to save threatened woodlands but they are limited by their resources as they are only able to purchase what they can afford due to being a charity. I reported two to them; one had been purchased before they could bid on it the other they weren't interested in because it was in an inner city, albeit a valuable glimpse into the countryside. However they planted a woodland in memory of a friend who died when she was 49 and of her parents and did a very good job of it. I don't think they could compete against huge business empires bidding against them on such a wide scale despite their valiant attempt to rescue as much woodland as they can.

by j hargreaves @, Thursday, October 28, 2010, 20:55 (4922 days ago) @ rookancestrybest

I agree with all you say. My family lived and work in the Forest and I still have family members living in Lydney and Blakeney. I have e mailed all my family and friends to join in this cause.

We should protect our heritage, not kill it.

by alison2 @, Thursday, October 28, 2010, 21:38 (4922 days ago) @ j hargreaves

I agree too, and have signed the petition. Does anyone know if this petition is available anywhere in the Forest of Dean for People to sign. I know People who do not have access to a Computer, who would like to sign it.

Alison

by ACP @, Saturday, November 06, 2010, 10:52 (4914 days ago) @ alison2

First of all, thank you to the FOD website for bringing this to everyone's attention. I would also like to know if there is a written petition you can sign. I have signed the online one but people like my mother who is in her 80's and was born & brought up in the Forest & who will be horrified by the implications of a sell off, won't be able to.

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Saturday, November 06, 2010, 12:01 (4914 days ago) @ ACP

I suggest that if you have a friend or relative who would like to put their name on the petition but is unable to do so because they do not have Internet access. Then obtain their permission for you to submit the persons details on their behalf on the website petition using your e-mail address.

by ACP @, Saturday, November 06, 2010, 12:11 (4914 days ago) @ admin

Many thanks for your advice, I'll do that.

Save the Forest of Dean from sell-off - printable version

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, November 06, 2010, 12:12 (4914 days ago) @ ACP

Forester, The; Cinderford (UK), Nov 4, 2010

More than 35,000 people have so far signed a national online petition at www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/save-our-forests# petition.

Now The Forester and Review have launched a petition just for the Dean. The Hands Off Our Forest petition can be signed at www.theforester.co.uk and downloaded and printed.

The petition can also be signed in shops and other outlets. Facebook users can join the Hands Off Our Forest of Dean page, plus Save Our Forests, and the group Stop The Forest of Dean From Being Sold Off.

Copyright c 2010 Northcliffe Newspapers Group Limited. All Rights Reserved.

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

by Don Cameron @, Monday, November 15, 2010, 01:40 (4905 days ago) @ admin

Unfortunately, not being a UK citizen, I can't sign any petition concerning issues in the UK. What I have done however, is to contact my relatives in the UK, and made them aware of the situation and the link to the petition.

How stupid is the Cameron Government!

Don Cameron.
NSW
Australia.

--
Don Cameron

by unknown, Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 09:50 (4904 days ago) @ admin

I've just signed this petition and sent it to everyone in my address book.

Thanks for the heads up on this one. Let's all do what we can whilst we still have the chance to make a difference!

Joanie

by Roger Griffiths @, Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 13:38 (4903 days ago) @ unknown

I think the Petitions have already had the desired effect. Not just for the FoD. There was an item on Radio 4 news a few days ago. I signed it from here and forwarded it to my wider family members. I had lunch with 3 cousins Wednesday last week. They have all signed it.

Anyone who has not yet signed, should do so if they agree, just to make doubly sure.

Roger

by whitegoosegal, Wednesday, December 08, 2010, 19:43 (4881 days ago) @ admin

I spent a great deal of my childhood among the trees of The forest of Dean and still feel such a rush of memories whenever I visit Lydbrook. My Mother who is 94 years old was born in Lydbrook and we are always living in the past as we discuss her family and their lives in the Forest. My daughter followed in my footsteps and loves to take her family camping in the forest and she will be very upset if the plans are carried out. Leave the Forest alone and make it available for the many generations to come, to use for whatever pastime is their pleasure. If it is sold off the whole area will change forever and so will the lives of all those who still live in the area and are so proud of their roots.
Irene Toddington.

Save the Forest of Dean - consultation

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Thursday, January 27, 2011, 06:42 (4832 days ago) @ admin

Announcement today

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/forests/20110127-forests-map.pdf

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/forests/index.htm

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Save the Forest of Dean

by ebbwfach @, Thursday, January 27, 2011, 15:47 (4831 days ago) @ admin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12287175

I see that The Forest of Dean is shown on their map as a "heritage forest" which will be managed by charities, with access rights preserved.

Government halts Forest sell-off plans as people power wins

by m p griffiths @, Thursday, February 17, 2011, 16:39 (4810 days ago) @ admin

The Government abandoned its controversial plans to privatise England’s public forests in the face of widespread criticism today.

Environment Secretary Caroline Spelman announced to MPs in the Commons that “we got this one wrong”, as she said she was halting the public consultation into the proposals.

She also said she was removing the powers to push forward with the move from the Public Bodies Bill currently going through Parliament.

Campaigners today hailed the “people power” which has forced the Government to abandon plans to privatise England’s public forests.

Read more -> http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/news/Forests-safe-government-u-turn-expected-tod...

Forest of Dean glad to hear it's not going to be sold off...

by rookancestrybest @, United Kingdom, Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 21:05 (4307 days ago) @ m p griffiths

Though this is contemporary news I still think it relevant to Forest of Dean family history that the Forest of Dean is no longer under threat of being sold off as the Government has changed its view and scrapped the proposals which were causing concern. It will now, at least for the time being, remain in its current ownership with the public areas still accessible.

People who aren't familiar with it, e.g. those living outside the UK may be interested to see the news items about it particularly as it shows areas of the forest which will be where some of their ancestors would have lived and known. I saw a feature on the news today, here's the link to it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-18702269

Forest of Dean glad to hear it's not going to be sold off...

by Roughyedbach @, Oldham, Lancashire, Thursday, July 05, 2012, 00:07 (4307 days ago) @ rookancestrybest

Great. I have campaigned long and hard with the support of my local MP RH Michael Meacher`and would direct everyone with similar concerns to:
http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/save-our-forests

RSS Feed of thread