Sarah MORGAN born Forest of Dean1857 (General)

by gtaylorwigan, Sunday, December 12, 2010, 17:10 (4856 days ago)

I am hoping some kind member of FODFH Society can help with their local knowledge. I am researching my g/grandmother Sarah MORGAN bn 1857 in the Forest of Dean. She married aged 21 in 1878 to Isaac Fletcher TAYLOR in Wigan, Lancs and stayed in Lancashire until her death in 1930.

I am trying to fill in the early years up to her moving to Wigan. The 1891 census states she was born in Newland and the 1901 says Coleford. The only matching entry on the GRO index is March qtr 1857 ref: 11a 30. I have obtained the birth cert and it states Reg District Monmouth, Sub district Coleford, bn 5 March 1857 in Redbrook, father Thomas (ag lab), mother Mary (nee POWELL.)

I have checked your Parish Records online but there is no sign of a baptism or marriage for her parents.

On the 1861 census the only Sarah at the right age is living in Pillowell but her parents are Thomas and Sarah not Mary. On the 1871 census there is still no sign of her family but there is a Sarah aged 14 living in St. Briavel, she is a servant for an elderly lady.

Was there a chapel in Redbrook or would she have been baptised in Newland ??. Without the right Parish records I will not be able to find her siblings or pin down the 61 and 71 Census records for her and her parents presuming they were still alive.

I visited the Forest of Dean years ago on the way to a holiday in Wales. It is a lovely area and in 2010 begs the question of why did she move to industrial Lancashire. In the 1870's they obviously moved for the work available, not the scenery.

Any help would be gratefully received, thank you.

Graham Taylor

Sarah MORGAN 1857 Redbrook ? -> Wigan LANCS

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, December 12, 2010, 17:19 (4856 days ago) @ gtaylorwigan

{..... trying to build the full picture }

Have you considered or is there history of Non Conformist worship in the family ?

1871 ?
Hannah Halford 71 Millend
James Halford 35 Clearwell
Sarah Morgan abt 1857 Redbrook, Gloucestershire, England Servant St Briavel, Gloucestershire

Name: Isaac Fletcher Taylor
Name: Sarah Morgan
Year of Registration: 1878
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
District: Wigan
County: Greater Manchester, Lancashire
Volume: 8c
Page: 25

Fletcher Taylor abt 1856 Hale, Lancashire, England Head Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Sarah Taylor abt 1857 Cardiff, Glamorgan, Wales Wife Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Mary E. Taylor abt 1879 Ince, Lancashire, England Daughter Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Sarah E. Taylor Ince, Lancashire, England Daughter Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire

Fletcher Taylor abt 1857 Hale, Lancashire, England Head Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Sarah Taylor abt 1858 New Land, Monmouthshire, Wales Wife Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Mary E Taylor abt 1879 Ince, Lancashire, England Daughter Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Sarah E Taylor abt 1881 Ince, Lancashire, England Daughter Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Frank M Taylor abt 1886 Ince, Lancashire, England Son Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
George Richards abt 1849 Conlford, Gloucestershire, England Boarder Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Alice Bertrice Taylor abt 1890 Ince, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Thomas Richards abt 1871 Daks, Nottinghamshire, England Boarder Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire

Isaac Fletcher Taylor abt 1856 Hale, Lancashire, England Head Ince, Lancashire
Sarah Taylor abt 1857 Coleford, Gloucestershire, England Wife Ince, Lancashire
Frank Morgan Taylor abt 1887 Ince, Lancashire, England Son Ince, Lancashire
Alice B Taylor abt 1890 Ince, Lancashire, England Daughter Ince, Lancashire
Geo A Taylor abt 1892 Ince, Lancashire, England Son Ince, Lancashire
George Richards abt 1852 Coleford, Gloucestershire, England Boarder Ince, Lancashire

TAYLOR ISAAC FLETCHER M 1857 54 Wigan Lancashire
TAYLOR SARAH F 1857 54 Wigan Lancashire
TAYLOR ALICE BEATRICE F 1890 21 Wigan Lancashire
TAYLOR FRANK MORGAN M 1887 24 Wigan Lancashire
TAYLOR GEORGE ARTHUR M 1892 19 Wigan Lancashire

{is George more than a Boarder ?}

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Sarah MORGAN 1857 Redbrook

by gtaylorwigan, Sunday, December 12, 2010, 21:58 (4855 days ago) @ slowhands

Thanks slowhands.

Re: non-conformist worship,

Not that I know of, Sarah's husband was the son of a CE parish clerk and they married at a CE church.

However there ia a family legend that links them with a Methodist church. My father always told me that he and his siblings were was baptised at a Methodist church but it turned out that just one of his brothers was, the rest at a CE church.

It looks like the non-conformist theory will have to be explored further. Are any records from the area available?

by gtaylorwigan, Sunday, December 12, 2010, 22:05 (4855 days ago) @ gtaylorwigan

I have the census from 1881 onwards thanks. It is the period before I am trying to piece together.

I have noticed the link with George Richards before and thought that he was probably a relative coming from Coleford. I have not been able to connect them yet though.

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, December 13, 2010, 07:16 (4855 days ago) @ gtaylorwigan

Does the marriage cert to Isaac give any further clues or confirm her parents ?

--

RICHARDS Clearwell -> Lancashire

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, December 13, 2010, 06:40 (4855 days ago) @ slowhands

Year: 1812
Month: Dec
Day: 13
Parents_Surname: BUFFRY
Child_Forenames: Anne
Fathers_Forenames: Joseph
Mothers_Forenames: Sarah
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Clearwell
Officiating_Minister:
Event: Baptism
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P227 IN 1/5
Page_Number: 50
Parish_Chapel: Newland

Year: 1834
Month: May
Day: 26
Grooms_Surname: RICHARDS
Grooms_Forenames: John
Grooms_Age:
Groom_Condition: Bachelor
Grooms_Occupation:
Grooms_Residence: Newland
Grooms_Fathers_Surname:
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames:
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation:
Brides_Surname: BUFFREY
Brides_Forenames: Ann
Brides_Age:
Brides_Condition: Spinster
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: Newland
Brides_Fathers_Surname:
Brides_Fathers_Forenames:
Brides_Fathers_Occupation:
Licence_or_Banns: Banns
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: He signs she marks
Witness_1: John Roberts
Witness_2: Mary Roberts
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: Henry W Sheppard Curate
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P227 IN 1/11
Page_Number: 269
Parish_Chapel: Newland

1851 Clearwell
John Richards abt 1808 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Head Newland, Gloucestershire
Ann Richards abt 1813 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Wife Newland, Gloucestershire
Jonah Richards abt 1836 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Son Newland, Gloucestershire
Phillip Richards abt 1840 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Son Newland, Gloucestershire
John Richards abt 1842 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Son Newland, Gloucestershire
Frank Richards abt 1844 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Son Newland, Gloucestershire
Betty Richards abt 1844 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Newland, Gloucestershire
Thomas Richards abt 1850 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Son Newland, Gloucestershire

1861 Clearwell
John Richards abt 1807 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Head Newland, Gloucestershire
Ann Richards abt 1813 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Wife Newland, Gloucestershire
William Richards abt 1817 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Brother Newland, Gloucestershire
John Richards abt 1843 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Son Newland, Gloucestershire
Frank Richards abt 1846 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Son Newland, Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Richards abt 1846 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Newland, Gloucestershire
George Richards abt 1855 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Son Newland, Gloucestershire

<><><><>

1871 Shireoaks Worksop Notts
John Richards 21 Clearwell
Mary Ann Richards 21 Clearwell
Thos H Richards 6 Months Shireoaks

John Richards abt 1845 Coleford, Gloucestershire, England Head Whitley, Northumberland
Mary Richards abt 1852 Coleford, Gloucestershire, England Wife Whitley, Northumberland
Thomas Richards abt 1871 Worksop, Nottinghamshire, England Son Whitley, Northumberland
James Page abt 1851 Coleford, Gloucestershire, England Boarder Whitley, Northumberland

Thos then appears as lodger with Isaac and Sarah
George his younger brother ?

<><><><> this appears to be John's marriage

Name: Mary Ann E Cox
Name: John Richards
Year of Registration: 1870
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Worksop
County: Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Yorkshire - West Riding
Volume: 7b
Page: 53

1861 Clearwell
Matilda Cox abt 1821 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Head Newland, Gloucestershire
Emma Cox abt 1842 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Newland, Gloucestershire
Thomas Cox abt 1843 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Son Newland, Gloucestershire
Sarah Cox abt 1846 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Newland, Gloucestershire
Harriet Cox abt 1849 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Newland, Gloucestershire
Maryann Cox abt 1851 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Newland, Gloucestershire
Edwin Cox abt 1855 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Son Newland, Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Cox abt 1857 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Newland, Gloucestershire
Fanny Cox abt 1859 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Newland, Gloucestershire

Year: 1850
Month: Oct
Day: 13
Parents_Surname: COX
Child_Forenames: Mary Ann Eliza
Fathers_Forenames: [not stated]
Mothers_Forenames: Ann Matilda
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Clearwell
Officiating_Minister: G. Ridout Vicar
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: 8811
Page_Number: 49
Parish_Chapel: Clearwell

<><><><> Ann Matilda JONES / COCKS / COX

Year: 1818
Month: Aug
Day: 30
Parents_Surname: JONES
Child_Forenames: Ann Matilda
Fathers_Forenames: [not stated]
Mothers_Forenames: Mary
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Clever End [?]
Officiating_Minister: Hen. G. Poole Curator
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P57 IN 1/2
Page_Number: 26
Parish_Chapel: Bream

Year 1840
Month Nov
Day 7
Grooms Surname COCKS
Grooms Forenames George
Grooms Age Full Age
Groom Condition batchelor
Grooms Occupation labourer
Grooms Residence of this parish
Grooms Fathers Surname Cocks
Grooms Fathers Forenames Thomas
Grooms Fathers Occupation labourer
Brides Surname JONES
Brides Forenames Ann Matilda
Brides Age Full Age
Brides Condition spinster
Brides Occupation
Brides Residence of this parish
Brides Fathers Surname Jones
Brides Fathers Forenames Jas
Brides Fathers Occupation labourer
Licence or Banns Banns
Date of Banns
Signature or Mark Both mark
Witness 1 Hellen Jeremy
Witness 2 Orpheus Lewis
Other Witnesses
Officiating Minister
Event Marriage
Memoranda
Notes The name Geo was given in the register and has been expanded to George
Register Reference
Page Number
Parish Chapel Chepstow

--

by gtaylorwigan, Monday, December 13, 2010, 12:39 (4855 days ago) @ slowhands

Hi slowhands

Very efficient

Thanks very much for the info on the Richards, I'll study it in detail

The details of Isaac and Sarah's marriage are in the original post, 2nd paragraph.

Cheers

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, December 13, 2010, 12:48 (4855 days ago) @ gtaylorwigan

The details of Isaac and Sarah's marriage are in the original post, 2nd paragraph.

I can only see the detail relating to birth in Redbrook,
Year of Registration: 1857
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: Monmouth (1837-1939)
County: Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire
Volume: 11a
Page: 30

but not the detail from the later marriage certificate in Ince / Wigan

Name: Isaac Fletcher Taylor
Year of Registration: 1878
District: Wigan
County: Greater Manchester, Lancashire
Page: 25

--

by gtaylorwigan, Monday, December 13, 2010, 13:17 (4855 days ago) @ slowhands

Apologies

Marriage 1 May 1878 Christ Church Ince Wigan Lancs
Isaac Fletcher Taylor 22 railway guard of Wilding St, father William grocer
Sarah Morgan 21 of Wilding St, father Thomas miner
Witnesses Richard Ince & Mary Jane Bradshaw

Ref the non-conformist theory, you are right. I rang an elderly aunt and she confirms Sarah Morgan was Methodist. Although her children and grandchildren were baptised CE they were brought up as Methodists.

MORGAN FoD -> Lancashire

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, December 13, 2010, 13:19 (4855 days ago) @ gtaylorwigan

she confirms Sarah Morgan was Methodist.

That helps explain why she "appears" to be missing - we have some non conformist records transcribed - and then some baptisms were done when the children were older...

Father Thomas not noted as deceased - there is hope yet !

A number of Forest families moved to Wigan - i.e. this Pillowell family

1881 Brook St
Thomas Morgan abt 1835 Pitterwell, Gloucestershire, England Head Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire Miner
Fanny Morgan abt 1837 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Wife Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Thomas Morgan abt 1865 Pitterwell, Gloucestershire, England Son Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
William H. Morgan abt 1867 Pitterwell, Gloucestershire, England Son Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Edwin R. Morgan abt 1870 Pitterwell, Gloucestershire, England Son Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Albert Morgan abt 1873 Pitterwell, Gloucestershire, England Son Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire

1851 Pillowell
William Daria [DAVIES] abt 1781 Little Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head West Dean, Gloucestershire
Thomas Morgan abt 1834 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Grandson West Dean, Gloucestershire Labourer

--

MORGAN FoD -> Lancashire

by gtaylorwigan, Monday, December 13, 2010, 14:09 (4855 days ago) @ slowhands

1881 Brook St
Thomas Morgan abt 1835 Pitterwell, Gloucestershire, England Head Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire Miner
Fanny Morgan abt 1837 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Wife Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Thomas Morgan abt 1865 Pitterwell, Gloucestershire, England Son Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
William H. Morgan abt 1867 Pitterwell, Gloucestershire, England Son Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Edwin R. Morgan abt 1870 Pitterwell, Gloucestershire, England Son Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire
Albert Morgan abt 1873 Pitterwell, Gloucestershire, England Son Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire

I have seen this census return and suspected it might be her family although her mothers name is Fanny and not Mary. Thomas is right and also his age. Its possible that her mother died and her father remarried to Fanny. Also Sarah is the eldest child born in Redbrook but the rest of her siblings bn in Pillowell. It is a bit of a coincdence that they live quite close to Sarah in Wigan in 1881 and originate from the same area of the FOD. It needs proving
though.

MORGAN / WORGAN FoD -> Lancashire

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, December 13, 2010, 14:26 (4855 days ago) @ gtaylorwigan

I'm working on the re-marriage theory...

a possible

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Jun 1875 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Davis Fanny Monmouth 11a 70
Morgan Thomas Monmouth 11a 70

Althought a simple MORGAN / WORGAN error seems to explain.

Year: 1860
Month: Jul
Day: 2
Grooms_Surname: WORGAN
Grooms_Forenames: Thomas
Grooms_Age: 26
Groom_Condition: Bachelor
Grooms_Occupation: Collier
Grooms_Residence: Bunnys Wood
Grooms_Fathers_Surname: Worgan
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames: Edward
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation: Collier
Brides_Surname: GWATKINS
Brides_Forenames: Fanny
Brides_Age: 23
Brides_Condition: Spinster
Brides_Occupation: [not stated]
Brides_Residence: Bunnys Wood
Brides_Fathers_Surname: Gwatkin
Brides_Fathers_Forenames: William
Brides_Fathers_Occupation: Carpenter
Licence_or_Banns: Banns
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: He marks; she signs
Witness_1: Mark of George Vine
Witness_2: Mark of Jane Worgan
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: Cornelius Witherby Incumbent
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P57 IN 1/8
Page_Number: 20
Parish_Chapel: Bream

Pillowell
Thomas Worgan abt 1834 Pillowell, Gloucestershire, England Head Newland, Gloucestershire
Fanny Worgan abt 1837 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Wife Newland, Gloucestershire

1871 Pillowell
Thomas Worgan 37
Fanny Worgan 35
Matilda Worgan 9
Tom Worgan 7
William H Worgan 4
Edwin R Worgan 1

1881 Brook St

Name: Thomas Worgan
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1837
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1889
Age at Death: 52
Registration district: Wigan
Inferred County: Lancashire
Page: 67

Fanny Worgan abt 1838 Woodside, Gloucestershire, England Head Hindley, Lancashire
Thomas Worgan abt 1864 Lidney, Gloucestershire, England Son Hindley, Lancashire
Edwin R Worgan abt 1869 Lidney, Gloucestershire, England Son Hindley, Lancashire
Albert Worgan abt 1873 Lidney, Gloucestershire, England Son Hindley, Lancashire
Hubert A Worgan abt 1881 Ince, Lancashire, England Son Hindley, Lancashire

Name: Fanny Worgan
Spouse Joseph Goulding {or Philip Matthews }
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1894
Registration district: Wigan
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume Number: 8c
Page Number: 169

--

by dave051366 @, Friday, December 02, 2011, 19:52 (4501 days ago) @ slowhands

Thank you so much for this info, i am very grateful, Thanks again !

by dave051366 @, Friday, December 30, 2011, 00:52 (4473 days ago) @ slowhands

Thanks again bro, i have a burial record for a goulding, so joseph must have been Fannys 2nd husband. Very much appreciated, thanks again. ALL THE BEST 4 NEW YR.

BUFFREY - MORGAN

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, December 13, 2010, 14:09 (4855 days ago) @ slowhands

{long shot}
I wonder if this is "the" link with the MORGAN and RICHARDS families

Name: Mary Buffrey
Name: Thomas Morgan
Year of Registration: 1852
District: Monmouth (1837-1939)
County: Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire
Volume: 11a
Page: 61

--

BUFFREY - MORGAN

by gtaylorwigan, Monday, December 13, 2010, 14:12 (4855 days ago) @ slowhands

I wonder if this is "the" link with the MORGAN and RICHARDS families

Could be, wonder where the Mary Powell link comes into it though.

BUFFREY - MORGAN

by gtaylorwigan, Monday, December 13, 2010, 15:08 (4855 days ago) @ gtaylorwigan

1871 Pillowell
Thomas Worgan 37
Fanny Worgan 35
Matilda Worgan 9
Tom Worgan 7
William H Worgan 4
Edwin R Worgan 1

This is definitely the same family that is living in Wigan in 1881. It's the mis-spelling of the surname that has prevented discovery. Sarah is possibly a servant in St. Briavel aged 14 and living away.

The whole family might have moved to Wigan together in the 1870's and by the 81 census Sarah who is the eldest child is married to Isaac.

Thanks for the hard work, I have to go offline for a while, will update later.

Morgan-Worgan

by gtaylorwigan, Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 01:29 (4854 days ago) @ gtaylorwigan

The family from Pillowell living in Wigan are really Worgan and not Morgan. The 1881 census has been transcribed wrong, a look at the original shows it as Worgan. They are Worgan on all the other census and the children are baptised Worgan. They can't be related to Sarah Morgan.

Morgan-Worgan

by Joan, Tuesday, January 18, 2011, 12:13 (4819 days ago) @ gtaylorwigan

John Worgan born 1805 at West Dean married Ann.
Their son James born 1833 West Dean, married Pamela [Pamelia] Bostwick.
Family moved to Wigan area.

BUFFREY - MORGAN

by dave051366 @, Monday, January 01, 2018, 15:47 (2279 days ago) @ gtaylorwigan

Hi don't know if this is of any help to you... with regards to the Powell link, John Worgan (b 1784)married Elizabeth Powell (b 1786) on the 30th May 1811 at St Briavels, Johns parents were William Worgan ( b 1750 Yorkley) and Mary Mutloe (b 1765). John & Elizabeth had a son Edward (b 1811, Whitecroft, d 1861 Parkend) husband of Betsy Davies, they married at St Briavels 2nd Nov 1833. They had a son Thomas ( b 1834 Pillowell), Thomas married Fanny Gwatkin ( b 1837 Aston Ingram, Herefordshire) they married at St James, Bream 2nd July 1860. On the 1881 census they are living at 8, Brook St, Hindley, 1891 census 6, Yarrow St, Hindley, Thomas died 1889 aged 55, buried in Castle hill cemetery, Fanny died 1895 aged 57 also buried at Hindley cemetery, John Worgan / Elizabeth Powell are my 4 x great grandparents, hope this has helped, regards Dave

RSS Feed of thread