Gwent Quakers (General)

by Roger Griffiths @, Bath, Saturday, June 17, 2006, 04:23 (6535 days ago)

Is there an expert on Quakers in Monmouthshire and Gloucestershire please. I am stuck fast in the 1740's. Earliest family found is at Mitchel Troy, Mon.

Michael 18Oct1741, Thomas 4Jun1743 Tasce 30Aug1747, children of John and Hannah Griffiths. I assume Thomas to be father of Tacy 17May1795. Mother Jane.

Point is Tacy was common name in 17th Century but in 18th Century more likely to be confined to Quakers.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Roger

Quaker roots

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, June 18, 2006, 01:54 (6534 days ago) @ Roger Griffiths

Roger

Can't help directly, but I suspect your subject matter expert(s) can be found at The Quaker Family History Society http://www.rootsweb.com/~engqfhs/

Tacy / Tacey was certainly a female name associated with Quakers.

The entries you give are from the BT's for Michael Troy, I may well be wrong but I understood the Non corfomists kept their own registers, so does that imply that in the early 1740's your group were not yet Quakers ?

regards
S

Quakers roots

by Roger Griffiths @, Bath, Sunday, June 18, 2006, 04:30 (6534 days ago) @ slowhands

Thank you S. I have spoken by phone to the Quaker Library in London. The gentleman said I would not be wasting my time by visiting them (They kept and keep first class records). However, I did not read that as meaning I should go. I now live in the West Country and need something more substantial to justify the time and expense.

My family was certainly considered as 'Of the Parish'. They claimed relief through the Poor Laws as John died in 1749, although he is not in the burial register. The Parish paid for his burial and the woollen shroud. His wife Hannah died in 1780 and burial was entered. Son Michael was given money and referred to as Mick. John and Hannah I reckon were born about 1715 - 1725. No marriage found for them. I feel that any Quaker connection was earlier than 1740. I have done the searches in ever widening circles but not come up with anything. I feel that they had moved in from somewhere else. C of E participation seems to have been total until the Bible Christians came to the FoD in the 1840's. Since then NC worship has been widespread in my wider family. Marriage with NC clergy or being a clergyman also figures. My Grandfather's brother William (1862-1904) was a London City Missioner) which is C of E.

'Griffiths' in Wales is considered like looking for a needle in a haystack, but in my experience that is not so. IGI list far more in Herefordshire and Staffordshire than in any Welsh County. Given that Monmouthshire is or was an English County, none of my family lived in Wales after 1740.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Roger

Quakers roots

by Roger Griffiths @, Bath, Sunday, June 18, 2006, 04:38 (6534 days ago) @ Roger Griffiths

PS S

You are very sharp re BT's. Originally, I gleaned info from MT Parish Records at Cwmbran. Tacy 1795 came from BT's via Rootsweb.com. In original PR I read the name as Jane.

Roger

roots

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, June 18, 2006, 05:13 (6534 days ago) @ Roger Griffiths

is considered like looking for a needle in a haystack

just adds to the fun :-)
I have a Davis branch and a Williams branch, which one day I will devote the necessary time to untangle the challenges of " which Thomas Davis is the father ?" etc

RSS Feed of thread