Famous Foresters - Sir Jimmy Young (General)

by Margaret Baldwin @, Wednesday, June 28, 2006, 00:48 (6525 days ago)

Unless, I have missed the information, I have not found any reference to Sir
Jimmy Young. He was born in Cinderford.

His Mother lived in Belle Vue Road and my Mother knew her at School (period
1905-1915) and afterwards. It is known that he visited his Mother regularly.

He left Cinderford at 16 to go to London to live with his Father.

Perhaps someone can piece his life story together.

Famous Foresters - Sir Jimmy Young

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Wednesday, June 28, 2006, 00:54 (6525 days ago) @ Margaret Baldwin

In a previous thread you will find some information about Jimmy Young and his family.
http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=1307
If anybody has any further information about Jimmy, please share it with us.

by Ashton, Wednesday, July 19, 2006, 03:31 (6504 days ago) @ Margaret Baldwin

According to his autobiography he was born Leslie Ronald Young on 21.9.1921 in Woodside Street, Cinderford to Frederick George Young and Gertrude Jane (nee Woolford). The father and his brother Gilbert owned Young Bros, Bakers and confectioners where he also worked. They moved to 95 and then 97 Church Road. Jimmy went to St Whites Primary school and then East Dean Grammar School. His parents split up in 1939 and Jimmy joined the RAF moving out of the area.

by sarah, Wednesday, November 22, 2006, 04:13 (6378 days ago) @ Margaret Baldwin

hi there,have been investigating the history of my house in belle vue road and found some interesting info about jimmy and his mum.his mum,dad etc all lived in church road until his parents split up,his mum then moved into my house on belle vue road with her sister ms woolford.gertrude jane young lived here until she died and taught people to play the piano here. i hope this is of some use to you.regards sarah.

by rowandean, Wednesday, November 22, 2006, 07:27 (6378 days ago) @ sarah

Many thanks for your e-mail. My aunty lived in Belle Vue Road at No.11 and 66 for many years so I am very familiar with the area. My mum and she were in the same age group as Gertie Young and it is from her that Jimmy got his musical talent, I am sure.

I wondered if he had had a mention because other people were singled out as being Famous Forester and he didn't seem to be.

Many thanks.

Margaret Baldwin.

Famous Foresters - Woodside St

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Wednesday, November 22, 2006, 07:56 (6378 days ago) @ Margaret Baldwin

Woodside Street as it was in JY's early days and more recently

http://www.forest-of-dean.net/gallery/cinderford/pages/page_26.html

Famous Foresters - Woodside St

by rowandean, Thursday, November 23, 2006, 05:32 (6377 days ago) @ slowhands

Thanks, Slowhands.

In the 1950's my Aunty and Uncle (their names were Popejoy) ran the King's Head in Woodside Street. My Mother was a cousin of Eunice Popejoy, the landlady. Aunty Eunice eventually lived next door to my Aunt,(Mrs.Ada Woodward who lived at ll Belle Vue Road). I was born in Cinderford and lived there until 1960 at 66 High Street, which was since been demolished to provide a new road and car park for Lidls. I then moved to Gloucester with my husband Tony, a Joyford Hlll boy. We have been living in Exeter for the last 42 years. Until 1999 I visited Cinderford regularly because my
Mother was still alive, sadly she died at the age of nearly 99.

Many thanks

Margaret Baldwin

RSS Feed of thread