Tingles of Littledean (General)

by jmay @, Friday, June 17, 2011, 11:31 (4690 days ago)

I have just made a connection on my family tree with the Tingle family. They all seem to be in and around Littledean , using surrounding churches for BMD. I am struggling with one place which is referred to as Woodside, Littledean. Can anyone please tell me where this might have been in around 1750 ? Also , is it possible to get old maps of the Dean ? Thank you.

Tingles of Littledean

by maurice @, Friday, June 17, 2011, 13:16 (4690 days ago) @ jmay

Littledean Woodside was the area of Cinderford which had not yet developed,it was more or less where Littledean Hill Rd ran along the top of Cinderford to Causeway Rd,it is also known as Woodside and also Lea Bailey(2) at various times.Several members of my family married Tingles and lived in this area.
Maurice Teague

Tingles of Littledean

by jmay @, Friday, June 17, 2011, 14:03 (4690 days ago) @ maurice

Maurice,
Thank you for your prompt reply. All very interesting but still confusing me ! obviously the layout of villages was very different then.
My first connection is of John Tingle b.29 June 1783 in Littledean who married my 2x great grandmother Jemima Stevens on 15 Oct 1811. They both came from Littledean but for some reason married at English Bicknor Church, documents say they were living on land adjoining the parish at that time. They seem to have returned to Littledean very soon after.

Tingles of Littledean

by lindabull @, Friday, June 17, 2011, 21:06 (4690 days ago) @ jmay

Hello jmay, It may be absolutely nothing to do with your research but I was looking at a website today relating to a canal port near where I live in Derbyshire. I came upon this refernce to a Robert Tingle who was born in Littledean in 1763 who was a boatbuilder

"Robert (Bobby) Tingle, Wood and Tingle
We believe that Robert Tingle was born in Little Dean in the forest of Dean overlooking the Severn Estuary, 18 December 1763. We know that he was not from Shardlow as he was listed as a non-parishioner and his 2 eldest children are Elizabeth and William as are the parents of the Robert Tingle in Little Dean.

We surmise he may have come to the village as an apprentice or worker to Benjamin Clifford boatbuilder of Shardlow, as Robert married Rebecca Clifford 1 June 1794.

In 1798/9 in the assessment of duties list Robert is a poor inhabitant not assessed, with a house of 4 windows.

By 1816 they had 8 children. Robert died in 1832? The Tingle family lived at Wilne in part of the house now known as Tudor Cottage, which was owned by the Burgin family"

here is a link to the site.

http://homepages.which.net/~shardlow.heritage/shwpbuild.htm

Tingles of Littledean

by jmay @, Saturday, June 18, 2011, 16:25 (4689 days ago) @ lindabull

Hi , Thank you so much for your interest. I am so envious of the notes in the address you suggested I read. How I wish I knew how to find out all those extra snipits of info. I would imagine that Littledean and the surrounding districts were home to a lot of Tingles ! At the moment I can only see one Robert in my tree who doesn't seem to tally up with yours, but I will certainly keep him in mind. My quest at the moment is trying to find where Jemima and John Tingle are buried. There are already a few possibilities Abenhall, Flaxley, Littledean or Mitcheldean.

Tingles of Littledean

by djones @, Rhondda Valley, Glamorgan, Saturday, June 18, 2011, 17:11 (4689 days ago) @ jmay

My 4x Great Grandmother was Elizabeth Tingle (1744-1832) from Ruardean, Daughter of John & Mary and husband of William Cook(e)

David

--
Rhondda Valley Boy

Tingles of Littledean

by jmay @, Sunday, June 19, 2011, 17:26 (4688 days ago) @ djones

David, Thanks for your reply. The more I look at these families, the more I seem to think that one line was in Ruardean and 'my' line was from Littledean, but could be very wrong as I have, at the moment completely lost John and Jemima Tingle after 1851 when they were in Woodside, Cinderford. I suppose this hobby would not be as addictive if it was easy! I will keep a note of your ancestors.

Jemima TINGLE (nee STEPHENS) 1788 ish -1851

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, June 19, 2011, 17:46 (4688 days ago) @ jmay

Year: 1789
Month: May
Day: 24
Parents_Surname: STEVENS
Child_Forenames: Jemima
Fathers_Forenames: John
Mothers_Forenames: Mary
Mothers_Surname:
Residence:
Officiating_Minister: Wm Fryer Minister
Event: Baptism
Memoranda:
Notes: Refer Richard baptised same day
Register_Reference: P110 IN 1/4
Page_Number: 3
Parish_Chapel: Littledean

Year: 1811
Month: Oct
Day: 15
Grooms_Surname: TINGLE
Grooms_Forenames: John
Grooms_Age:
Groom_Condition:
Grooms_Occupation:
Grooms_Residence: living on land adjoining this Parish
Grooms_Fathers_Surname:
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames:
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation:
Brides_Surname: STEPHENS
Brides_Forenames: Jemima
Brides_Age:
Brides_Condition:
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: living on land adjoining this Parish
Brides_Fathers_Surname:
Brides_Fathers_Forenames:
Brides_Fathers_Occupation:
Licence_or_Banns: Banns
Date_of_Banns: no register found
Signature_or_Mark: Both mark
Witness_1: Mark of George Stephens
Witness_2: Richard Terrett
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: William Prosser
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P138 IN 1/7
Page_Number: 78
Parish_Chapel: English Bicknor

1851 Woodside ( St Johns Cinderford)
John Tingle abt 1781 E Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean, Gloucestershire
Jemima Tingle abt 1787 E Dean Wife East Dean, Gloucestershire
Mary Tingle abt 1827 E Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Eliza Tingle abt 1832 E Dean, Gloucestershire, England Granddaughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Isaac Tingle abt 1843 E Dean, Gloucestershire, England Grandson East Dean, Gloucestershire

Death
Name: Jemima Tingle
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1851
Registration district: Westbury On Severn
Inferred County: Gloucestershire
Volume: 11
Page: 339

A non-conformist family - Baptists ?

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Borders and Parishes of the Forest

by jmay @, Friday, July 22, 2011, 16:01 (4655 days ago) @ slowhands

Well Jeff, just as you warned me. - I have received the death certificate for Jemima Tingle. She lived at Littledean Woodside, East Dean. The registration district is Westbury on Severn Union and the sub district is Newnham. I would never have found her without the help of all you knowledgable people. Thank you all so much. All I need to do now is find where she would have been buried !

by mrsbruso @, Friday, July 22, 2011, 16:14 (4655 days ago) @ jmay

In the burials index there are 14 people whose final address was listed as Littledean Woodside. Of those, thirteen were buried at Drybook and one at Huntley, if that helps at all. I would try checking for any municipal cemetaries in the Drybrook area . . . Just a thought. Good luck.

by jmay @, Friday, July 22, 2011, 21:06 (4655 days ago) @ mrsbruso

Thank you so much. I could well have been looking in the wrong area for several things ! I didn't think of Drybrook and certainly not Huntley. I had been concentrating on Mitcheldean, Littledean and Abenhall. I will try to find the records you mention.

Cinderford Baptist Chapel

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, July 22, 2011, 22:43 (4654 days ago) @ jmay

Dont forget this family seems to have non conformist beliefs - they may be in the Baptist ground in Cinderford perhaps ? depending on where they worshipped...

--

John TINGLE 1781 ish - 1857 ?

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, June 19, 2011, 17:51 (4688 days ago) @ jmay

Year: 1783
Month: Jun
Day: 29
Parents_Surname: TINGLE
Child_Forenames: John
Fathers_Forenames: William
Mothers_Forenames: Mary
Mothers_Surname:
Residence:
Officiating_Minister: Benjamin Webb Minister
Event: Baptism
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P 110 IN 1/3
Page_Number: 36
Parish_Chapel: Littledean

Death
Name: John Tingle
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1857
Registration district: Westbury On Severn
Inferred County: Gloucestershire
Volume: 6a
Page: 131

A non-conformist family - Baptists ? - might lead to the grave...

--

TINGLE (Probate) + Cinderford Baptist Church

by m p griffiths @, Sunday, June 19, 2011, 20:30 (4688 days ago) @ slowhands

Cinderford Baptist Church - Origin & History of the Baptist Church, Cinderford (inc. Joseph TINGLE, first choir leader of the Church) - who could be John & Sophia's son!

http://richardnet.co.uk/genealogy/bapchap.htm

(website mentions Tingle 15 times)

-----

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar

TINGLE John - Personal Estate under £5

17 September 1880

Adminstration (with the Will) of the Personal Estate of John Tingle, late of Woodside-road Flaxley, Cinderford in the County of Gloucester who died 6 January 1875 at the Gloucester County Lunatic Asylum was granted at Gloucester to Sophia TINGLE of Flaxley, Widow the Relict.

1881 Census, No. 42 Woodside, Flaxley

James HOLDER - head, married 31, Coalminer, born Cinderford
Esther HOLDER - wife - 35 - born East Dean
Emily - daughter - unmarried age 8 - Scholar, born East Dean
Alfred - son - age 5 - born Cinderford
then
Sophia TINGLE, wido 69 - Laundress, born E.Dean

John & Sophia TINGLE - another family

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, June 19, 2011, 20:34 (4688 days ago) @ m p griffiths

John Tingle abt 1809 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean, Gloucestershire
Sophia Tingle abt 1810 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean, Gloucestershire
Ann Jane Tingle abt 1835 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
James Tingle abt 1841 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Amos Tingle abt 1850 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Rodah Tingle abt 1852 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire

--

by jmay @, Monday, July 11, 2011, 09:24 (4666 days ago) @ m p griffiths

At the suggestion of mp.griffiths I have just read the History of Cinderford Baptist Church. What an amazing read ! I had no idea how many Baptist Chapels there were around and how large the congregations were. On reflection, a long time ago when I was a pupil at East Dean Grammar School, we held our annual Speech Days there as it was the biggest building around. I have wonderful memories of that very inspiring building. Thank you so much for all your help. I am, at last, getting a much clearer picture of how the Forest must have been many years ago and it is fascinating.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, July 11, 2011, 11:53 (4666 days ago) @ jmay

Yes thats a very interesting history. I was born and broughtup in Cinderford 1962 onwards but as part of a churchgoing C of E family (St Stephens) that was the only religion I knew including all my cousin's marriages etc across Glostershire. RE was "just" C of E Bible Study in my schooldays at Bilson then RFDGS at Berry Hill, always thought it wrong not to learn about "other" Religions as they do nowadays. T'was only when I met a RC girl from Banbury I started learning about other variations of Christianity, my mother was so worried about what the wedding service might be like, although it was no different really than her usual C of Es. When I first found this great site my gob was well n truly smacked when I saw the huge long list of non CoE Churches in the Forest, now I've learnt why which is great.

Interesting you say about using the Baptist Chapel while at EDGS, no doubt my mum did too in her days there in the 40s. I always enjoyed our Christmas walks from Bilson School up the Lane to the Chapel for our annual Carol Concerts, a really special part of the fun buildup to Christmas for me. It seemed a huge place, especially if up high on the balcony. Yet in latter years as I'd got bigger walking past the building it seems so small from the front. That said, I guess its no different to the famous London West End Theatres I've visited since living up here, all have very narrow street frontage yet seat 1000+, you can almost walk past the great Palladium for example without noticing it !.

by gwrmad @, Caister on Sea Norfolk, Tuesday, July 12, 2011, 12:06 (4665 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi Jeff'
My late father always told me that in days gone by rent/rates were calculated on the street frontage -hence many of the old shops are long and narrow!!
Regards Kelvin

Forest Maps

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, June 19, 2011, 18:40 (4688 days ago) @ jmay

Also , is it possible to get old maps of the Dean ? Thank you.

I have provided a few at

http://www.forest-of-dean.net/joomla/the-forest-of-dean/maps-of-the-forest

--

Forest Maps

by jmay @, Tuesday, June 21, 2011, 10:49 (4686 days ago) @ slowhands

Good morning Slowhands, Well, you have certainly given me a lot to think about today !
I have the marriage of John Tingle and Jemima Stevens and, after reading your advice to someone else, assumed they married there as Jemima had a bb. son Thomas Stevens [who, for the moment has disappeared though I have him christened at Flaxley 17 Jun 1810.]
Obviously John and Jemima are still there in the 1851 census, but could you please explain what the registration is that puts them both in Westbury.
All their children have been christened in various churches around the Littledean area. Would that have happened if they were non-conformists?
Maybe Sophia was John's second wife as I don't know when Jemima died but where would the lunatic asylum be ?
So many questions ! I am most grateful for all the time you must have spent with this and look forward to any comments you can make. Thank you.

Westbury Registration & Gloster Asylum Location

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, June 23, 2011, 03:36 (4684 days ago) @ jmay

Hi,
re Westbury Registration, you may be surprised to know that from 1837 to 1937 the Eastern side of the Forest of Dean, including Cinderford (aka Hinders Lane, Dockham, Woodside in early years) and Little Dean, was all considered part of the Westbury On Severn Registration District. Perhaps you are as confused as I was until I found this excellent guide
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/westbury%20on%20severn.html

re Gloster Asylum, this earlier thread should answer (in case you wern't aware this Forum has an efficient search facility which is always worth trying).
When we were kids in Cinderford in the 60/70s we had a big yet gentle "simple" lad at school, which may have been why we sometimes spoke about a place called "Coney Hill". Thanks to this thread I now know why.
http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=14550
Also see
http://www.countyasylums.com/mentalasylums/gloucestershire.htm

Hope this helps, Jefff

Westbury Registration & Gloster Asylum Location

by jmay @, Wednesday, June 29, 2011, 13:27 (4678 days ago) @ Jefff

Jeff and Donna,
Thank you so much for your help and all the 'new ideas' of where to look up so many things. I have been away and have just returned to find loads of new sites to look at. . I have really got left behind on this. The forum is absolute magic thanks to all you wonderful people out there who are willing to help a beginner
More than 60 yrs ago I used to be taken with my mother to Westbury Workhouse [as it was known] once a week to take the trolley round with goods for the patients. The building seemed to me to be very dark, had stone walls and steps. Beds were iron and most patients were in them. I can still recall the smell and think it must have been disinfectant of some sort. My nightmare was peeling orqanges for the people that wanted them. I hated oranges at the best of times but I was constantly told that it was good for me to do things for others ! It was great to see all the old people so pleased to see us. I think it may have been an old peoples home and not an asylum then, though I was never aware of any visitors.. I am now looking forward to picking up my thread again.

Westbury Workhouse -> Westbury Hall, Welfare home

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Wednesday, June 29, 2011, 13:39 (4678 days ago) @ jmay

The workhouse, which stands west of Westbury village street, comprises a long three-story brick range,apparently incorporating the original parish workhouse, and a larger brick range behind, evidently built in 1874, (fn. 58) in which a chapel is included. The buildings later housed a county council welfare home, called Westbury Hall, which was closed in 1969.

From: 'Westbury-on-Severn: Local government', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10: Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds (1972), pp. 97-98. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15768 Date accessed: 29 June 2011.

http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=24456

--

Tingles of Littledean

by fraser-donna @, Saturday, June 25, 2011, 21:21 (4681 days ago) @ jmay

Hello cousin. :)
I am descended from John Tingle's younger brother George. As Slow Hands found for you, they were the sons of William Tingle and Mary Packer. George's children were baptised in the Littledean Independent Chapel.

"Clara Tingle daughter of George & Elizabeth Tingle was baptized Sept 3 1810 by Richd. Stiff"
(Source: Littledean NonConformist Register PRO RG4/4 Gloster 766 page 2)

Hope that helps. My cousins are Tingles, all living in Canada (as am I). We have also had the Tingle DNA done but no matches so far.

Best wishes,
Donna Fraser

PS I really appreciate the local knowledge that is brought to this list and the expertise and willingness to share information by people such as Slow Hands. Thank you all.

Tingles of Littledean

by jmay @, Wednesday, July 06, 2011, 15:56 (4671 days ago) @ fraser-donna

Thanks for this Donna. I guess we are related !

RSS Feed of thread