The Pludds (General)

by bertha, Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 10:37 (6954 days ago)

I'm researching my ancestors who lived at Pludds Court in the area of The Pludds, Ruardean. Can anyone tell me what exactly 'The Pludds' was? Thanks

The Pludds

by slowhands @, Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 13:15 (6954 days ago) @ bertha

The Pludds is a a group of dwellings / village between Ruardean Woodside and Lydbrook ( The Readings), on Smiths Way or Eddys Lane, from Ruardean down to the Forest.

Pludds Court was one of the earlist dwellings built at the western end of the Pludds.

Not surprisingly there was a Pludds Gale - marking mining activity in the area.

and eventually a Pub - the Royal Oak was built.

The Pludds

by bertha, Wednesday, April 13, 2005, 09:39 (6953 days ago) @ slowhands

Thanks for your help with that slowhands much appreciated

The Pludds - 1890 map

by slowhands @, Wednesday, April 13, 2005, 12:23 (6953 days ago) @ slowhands

use http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

Coordinates 361330,216042

for an 1890 map centred on Pludds Court

and a modern map segment of same and aerial photo !

and I think you will soon see what I meant when I wrote " on the edge of the Forest"

The Pludds - 1890 map

by bertha, Thursday, April 14, 2005, 09:42 (6952 days ago) @ slowhands

Thanks for the map slowhands, that makes it much clearer. I understand The Pludds was an area and community as you explained, but does 'The Pludds' actually mean anything, as it seems quite an unusual title?
Also,you mentioned the pub The Royal Oak, any idea if I could find out who the owners of the pub were? My ancestor Absolom Vaughan who lived at Pludds Court in the 1800's is down on the 1881 Census as 'Publican and Farmer'. I was wondering if this could be the pub you mentioned.
Many thanks for any help.

Absolom Vaughan who lived at Pludds

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Thursday, April 14, 2005, 10:19 (6952 days ago) @ bertha

You can find out a little more about the The Pludds and Absolom Vaughan on the following page of Walter King's website:
http://homepages.phonecoop.coop/waltking/FH/vaughan.htm

I also had some of my Watkins people living at the The Pludds and I have a connection with the Vaughan's through Henry Watkins which you will see details about on the above page and another one at:
http://homepages.phonecoop.coop/waltking/FH/index.htm

Dave Watkins

Absolom Vaughan who lived at Pludds

by bertha, Thursday, April 14, 2005, 11:16 (6952 days ago) @ admin

Thanks for that Dave I'd already found Walter Kings website, a few weeks back, and that enabled me to visit Pludds Court last weekend.
Do I now call you cuz!!

Henry Watkins of The Pludds

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Thursday, April 14, 2005, 11:39 (6952 days ago) @ bertha

Our dear Henry Watkins was born illegitimate and then what does he do but flirt with one of the Vaughan girls and you guessed it, we have another illegitimate Watkins. I am sure they did it just to make my researching very hard. <smile>

Dave

RSS Feed of thread