Rev. Jackman MORSE (General)

by Derrick @, Thursday, August 18, 2011, 16:36 (4644 days ago)

The Memorial Plaque for my 5xGGF Jackman Morse Vicar of Awre and Rector of Huntley displays Arms "A Bend engrailed between three Gryphon's Heads erased". These are also carved upon the tomb of his brother Edward at Newent Churchyard. They also appear quartered with the Arms of Nourse in Newent Church. Having regard that Edward's son John Nourse Morse acquired all the Nourse family estates at Newent together with their Lordships of various Manors can anyone tell me how the Morse and Nourse families were connected and to whom these Arms were originally granted? Derrick

Rev. Jackman MORSE

by m p griffiths @, Thursday, August 18, 2011, 18:14 (4644 days ago) @ Derrick

In FOD downloads, for Awre, there are Bigland Transcripts with this family

and

History of Antiquities dated 1882 - (2nd page - have a NOURSE family tree inc. Walter NOURSE of Newent 1652)

http://www.noursefamily.net/docs/pedigrees_history-of-hereford.pdf

Rev. Jackman MORSE

by Derrick @, Friday, August 19, 2011, 15:57 (4643 days ago) @ m p griffiths

Thanks, I found the Bigland Transcriptions the Nourse tree sadly shows no connection to Morse. Derrick

Rev. Jackman MORSE 1690-1765 Awre

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Thursday, August 18, 2011, 18:53 (4644 days ago) @ Derrick

the question is which one as there appears to be a line of Vicars' of Awre bearing that name including :-

Year: 1691
Month: Mar
Day: 23
Parents_Surname: MORSE
Child_Forenames: Jackman
Fathers_Forenames: Abraham
Mothers_Forenames: Deborah
Mothers_Surname:
Residence:
Officiating_Minister: Tho Avenant vicar
Event: Baptism
Memoranda: Old style date 1690/1
Notes:
Register_Reference: P225 IN 1/2
Page_Number: 39
Parish_Chapel: Newent

Year: 1722
Month: Jun
Day: 21
Parents_Surname: MORSE
Child_Forenames: Jackman
Fathers_Forenames: Jackman
Mothers_Forenames: [not stated]
Mothers_Surname:
Residence:
Officiating_Minister: J Morse Vic[ar]
Event: Baptism
Memoranda: Son of
Notes: Awre & Blakeney
Register_Reference: P30 IN 1/1 Part 2
Page_Number: 401
Parish_Chapel: Awre

Year: 1765
Month: Jan
Day: 7
Surname: MORSE
Forenames: Jackman
Residence:
Age_at_death:
Officiating_Minister:
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda: [1]The Rev[eren]d Mr [2]44 years Vic[a]r of this Parish was buried Munday
Notes:
Register_Reference: P30 IN 1/1 Part 2
Page_No: 521
Parish_Chapel: Awre

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

by Derrick @, Friday, August 19, 2011, 16:02 (4643 days ago) @ slowhands

Jackman Morse 1690-1765 was my 5xGGF who was 44 years Vicar of Awre and the son of Abraham Morse 1651-1726 Rector of Huntley.

Gloucestershire Record Office - Search - NOURSE/MORSE

by m p griffiths @, Friday, August 19, 2011, 16:54 (4643 days ago) @ Derrick

Derrick

By having a quick look at the National Archives - just Google A2A and search for Nourse with Morse - there are various documents held at the Gloucestershire Records Office - and I can see

Counterpart lease by the said Walter NOURSE & Mary.... his wife to John MORSE of Ludbrooke in Ruardean.

The Gloucestershire Records Office records are searchable on the net

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/archives

or to On Line Catalogue Search

http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/DServe/DServe.exe?dsqApp=Archive&dsqDb=Catalog&am...

88 hits for NOURSE

by peteressex @, Friday, August 19, 2011, 17:31 (4643 days ago) @ Derrick

It would be interesting if someone investigated for patterns within families whereby parish incumbents served on both sides of the Forest. The Morse movement between Huntley and Awre is rather like the Sterry movement between Abenhall and Lydney. Anybody got further examples?

by m p griffiths @, Friday, August 19, 2011, 17:42 (4643 days ago) @ peteressex

In my family case, is was property/land left in a Will by a x Great Uncle in Etloe to a Great Nephew in Rendcombe, Glos. which brought the family back to Blakeney

by jerigby @, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 16:56 (2761 days ago) @ Derrick

I am descended from a John Morse (1738-1797) married to a Margaret Jones. There is a great deal of confusion on some public trees on Ancestry. A few of them have my John Morse as the son of the above Jackman Morse but I am unable to find documentary proof of this. Sadly, often on Ancestry people just copy details from other trees without checking the source. Can you throw any light on this?

Rev. Jackman MORSE

by jerigby @, Tuesday, January 17, 2012, 18:26 (4492 days ago) @ Derrick

Derrick

I've noticed that several members on Ancestry have my John Morse baptised 3 October 1738 at Awre and married to Margaret Jones on 3 August 1762 at Newland as the son of the Rev. Jackman Morse and Anne Prestbury together with the burial details of 5 March 1797 at Huntley. This is confusing as I have never made this connection and as he is your ancestor you are obviously right. I made the burial date error and realise my mistake and am now looking for the right death date for my John Morse. Trouble is with Ancestry people copy the information without checking!

Rev. Jackman MORSE

by Derrick @, Friday, February 10, 2012, 16:48 (4468 days ago) @ jerigby

The John Morse baptised at Awre on 03 October 1738 was the son of Jackman Morse and Anne Prestbury. He married Martha Thirkill at Long Sutton Lincolnshire where he was curate in 1765. He succeeded his father as Rector of Huntley and was buried at Huntley on 05 March 1797. Martha was buried there on 06 February 1826 aged 91. Having no son, the Rectory of Huntley devolved upon their son-in-law Richard Foley distant cousin of the Lords Foley of Kidderminster but on his death was returned to the Morses under another John Morse Richard's nephew.

Rev. Jackman MORSE

by jerigby @, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 16:58 (2761 days ago) @ Derrick

Sorry, I have just sent you a message about my John Morse being the son of the above but I realised you have already replied to my query. He is definitely not the same one!

Rev. Jackman MORSE

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, October 16, 2016, 14:37 (2758 days ago) @ jerigby

Hi Janet,
I hope to be proven wrong, but I'm wondering if Derrick has seen your latest posts ? If you click his username the hyperlink shows he's not visited the forum for 2 years, altho his name's displaying in blue so he's still "active" to some extent. If you've not already done so, I recommend you try sending him a direct email using the envelope icon, as this will go direct to his computer's email inbox, which he may be more likely to see as he won't have had to first visit this forum.
Good luck, Jeff.

Rev. Jackman MORSE

by Npearson, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 10:08 (2412 days ago) @ Derrick

I would like to include a copy of a family tree (commencing 1685),which links the Morse and Nourse families by marriage. How do I proceed with this.

Rev. Jackman MORSE

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 10:37 (2412 days ago) @ Npearson

If you are able to produce it as a pdf file and send in to us we can upload it to the Documents and Articles section of the website. To send it please follow the instructions for photographs which you will find under the Photo Gallery link.

Admin

RSS Feed of thread