"The Barracks" near Parkend (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, September 12, 2011, 17:45 (4614 days ago)

Following the Prior thread about Parkend area I have a further question which I cannot find answered by searching the Forum etc.
http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=33671#p33704

What's the origin of the row of houses called the Barracks, and why were they named so ?.

When cycling past I've always thought they seemed an attractive wellbuilt row of terraced houses (not one large barracks block?) but I never stopped to study them so I could easily be wrong in this assumption.

I'd always thought "Barracks" an Army term, indeed apparently the word derives form the Spanish word for a temporary shelter erected by soldiers on campaign, "barraca", perhaps another "English" word borrowed after the Pensinsula Wars.
Additionally I see there was a pit very nearby(I think?) called "Aimwell"
http://www.lightmoor.co.uk/forestcoal/CoalAimwell.html

This seems unusual for a pit name, perhaps the names' origins are military, maybe the area was previously used as a shooting (archery?) range ??. Maybe it's linked to 1278, and the first record of a hunting enclosure called ‘Wistemede’ - later known as Whitemead Park; from which Parkend derived its name. Probably wishfull thinking ?!.

Now I'm learning so much more about my home area's history via this wonderfull site I now doubt they were built for military purposes. On the website for the Slate Industry of Wales I've found a reference to the word "Barracks" being "Accommodation block used by quarrymen during the week". This seems to make more sense, were they built as worker's housing in the days that Parkend was a real hive of industry ?. (Something that amazed me to find out despite living in the Forest the first 25 years of my life).
I know that shanty towns of temporary cabins etc were erected around the UK to house the "armies" of canal & railway navvies in the old days, but these are clearly a cut above that and for a much smaller and perhaps more elite group of workers ? Unlike the navvies this group were staying for much longer so needed more permanent housing.

The 1831 OS Map I referenced in the above thread doesn't show the Barracks, or Fancy Pit which was sunk around 1852, so logically I guess they were built to serve it ?.
Perhaps someone has a later Victorian Map that can help date when they were built ?

Please does anyone know when they were built (I suspect they may be inscribed above the front doors ?), and by who and why ?.
All thoughts very welcome, please.

"The Barracks" near Parkend

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, September 12, 2011, 18:36 (4614 days ago) @ Jefff

The 1840's is in my head for the building of this row of "miners" cottages.

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

by m p griffiths @, Monday, September 12, 2011, 20:50 (4614 days ago) @ Jefff

'Further north a row of miners cottages, known as the Barracks was built on the road from Parkend to Blakeney in the late 1840's The Cottages, numbering 20 in five identical blocks were leased to local colliery owners by the Crown'

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, September 13, 2011, 22:51 (4613 days ago) @ m p griffiths

Thanks MPG for finding that, a very usefull link !

Twenty cottages eh, shows how the memory fades, I thought it just half a dozen or so. Maybe thats as cottages then were rather smaller than we may think now. I'll take a proper visit next time I'm out West.

Still seems a small number of houses hence miners, I guess they were intended for the mine management/foremen etc.

And yes I am a romantic, "never let the facts spoil a good story" !!

by winky @, Winelands, South Africa, Tuesday, September 13, 2011, 13:39 (4613 days ago) @ Jefff

Don't get too romanticised about them! When I was a little girl I remember them looking austere and depressive and there always seemed to be a lot of water hanging about in front of them! Sorry- hope did not spoil the illusion!

Carol Brown

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, September 18, 2011, 19:37 (4608 days ago) @ winky

I've just "discovered" a great website selling old photos from the collection of Neil Parkhouse from Lydney, of Black Dwarf Publishing fame. This site is really worth studying with some excellent images of Parkend area.

http://www.archive-images.co.uk/index.gallery.php?gid=148&img=3

As the link shows there is an image of the Barracks c1908.
To my surprise there appear to be at least 3 blocks of terraces cottages in a quadrangle layout, with each building being having 3 stories. They certainly look like large Army Barracks blocks here, not at all the single smaller row that I recall !.

Are they still like this ?.

I really must get along there on my next trip out West!.

by Roger Griffiths @, Sunday, September 18, 2011, 20:27 (4608 days ago) @ Jefff

I'm not 100% sure but I think 'The Barracks' is so named because it was used by U.S. Army as a barracks in WWII. If so, there must be Parkend people still alive who know.

The buildings do not look like British army barracks. More likely built to accomodate people working for the Mushett's. Bessemer convertors etc.

Roger

by vcatkinson @, Sunday, January 08, 2012, 16:15 (4496 days ago) @ Roger Griffiths

My 2x gt grandparents were living in The Barracks on 1851 census so I don't think name was applied because of troops billetted there over 50 years later?

--
10 generations in the Forest

by Olwyn @, Sunday, October 04, 2015, 11:23 (3131 days ago) @ Jefff

Those houses in that photo Jeff may have been called the Barracks at one time but I always knew them called The Square.They have long since disappeared.
They were nowhere near The Barracks that is being discussed here.
There are local stories of soldiers being billetted at the Barracks in the past but when and why I do not know.

by PEG @, Monday, October 05, 2015, 07:15 (3130 days ago) @ Olwyn

You are right Olwyn, The Square was down in the middle of Parkend, between the railway line that runs to Cannop Ponds & the brook that runs through the village sort of directly opposite the cricket field

by Windows, Thursday, October 01, 2015, 09:11 (3134 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi, my grandmother Polly Russell lived at the Barracks Parkend which I remember to be a row of houses reached via a dirt track from the main road. She had a daughter Evelyn and a husband Walter who worked in the Foundry I believe. I think Polly was a school cook but cannot find out anything much about the family apart from some pictures on the Sungreen site of the couple in the Rising Sun Pub and Evelyn at the Yorkley Onward Hall.I am also looking for information about the Windows family possibly of Viney Hill.

Many thanks for any information.

RSS Feed of thread