William Henry Vaughan (General)

by Barbara Lloyd @, Friday, July 07, 2006, 04:47 (6525 days ago)

Please may I call upon the Forest of Dean Researchers to help me.

My Great Grandfather was William Henry Vaughan born 1859 The 1901
Census shows him living in Commercial Street East Dean aged 42 carrying on the trade of Butcher. The census shows him with his wife Evan aged 32 and daughters Caroline aged 5 and Fanny aged 15.

Fanny Louisa Vaughan is my Grandmother. She was born in Illionis USA.

I cannot seem to find a Birth for William Henry, nor can I find anything for Fanny Louisa Vaughan (apart from the marriage to my Grandfather Frank Burt) I have this certificate. I have investigated and received a reply from America saying no records available.

My second question is - I have seen the article of the Vaughans and Pluds Court is there anything I can read to give me more background and would my Grandfather have had anything to do with this area of the Forest.

Any suggestions etc would be appreciated.

Barbara.

William Henry Vaughan

by Roger Griffiths @, Bath, Friday, July 07, 2006, 04:56 (6525 days ago) @ Barbara Lloyd

Hi, there was no town or village called East Dean, it was an administrative division as with West Dean, which covered the extra parochial area of the FoD. Commercial Street sounds like Cinderford or Ruspidge, somewhere like that. Vaughan is a name that crops up quite a bit in the Forest and thereabouts.

First call is always the IGI, although entries fizzle out after 1837 as the State Registration is better source. Most Public Libraries have or have access, so a request for Gloucestershire - V is the first place to look. It will give you an idea how many Vaughan families were about and where they lived.

Roger

William Henry Vaughan 1859

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, July 07, 2006, 05:45 (6525 days ago) @ Barbara Lloyd

as transcribed
1901 Commercial St Cinderford
William H Bangham abt 1859 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Eva Bangham abt 1869 Monmouth, Monmouthshire, Wales Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Caroline Bangham abt 1896 Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Fanny Bangham abt 1886 United States Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

William Henry Vaughan, Staunton on Wye 1862

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, July 07, 2006, 05:53 (6525 days ago) @ Barbara Lloyd

1881 13 Mitre St Cheltenham Gloucestershire
William H. Vaughan abt 1860 Staunton Upon Wye, Hereford, England Lodger Grocer

John Vaughan abt 1803 Yazor, Herefordshire, England Head Norton Canon Herefordshire Farmer
Mary Vaughan abt 1812 Norton Canon, Herefordshire, England Wife Norton Canon Herefordshire
John H Vaughan abt 1860 Staunton on Wye, Herefordshire, England Grandson Norton Canon Herefordshire
Mary Vaughan abt 1838 Norton Canon, Herefordshire, England Daughter Norton Canon Herefordshire
Norah L Vaughan abt 1849 Norton Canon, Herefordshire, England Daughter Norton Canon Herefordshire
William Vaughan abt 1841 Norton Canon, Herefordshire, England Son Norton Canon Herefordshire
William H Vaughan abt 1862 Staunton on Wye, Herefordshire, England Grandson Norton Canon Herefordshire

Name: William Henry Vaughan
Year of Registration: 1862
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
District: Weobley
County: Herefordshire, Hereford And Worcester
Volume: 6a
Page: 5_4

--

William Henry Vaughan

by Barbara Lloyd @, Friday, July 07, 2006, 06:30 (6525 days ago) @ Roger Griffiths

Dear Roger

This is most helpful as I have been basis my research on East Dean and getting muddled.

I will look again.

Barbara.

William Henry Vaughan, Staunton on Wye 1862

by barbara Lloyd @, Friday, July 07, 2006, 06:34 (6525 days ago) @ slowhands

Dear Slowhands

Thank you for your help, and such a speedy reply to. I haven't ruled out
Staunton on Wye entirely, but it does not fit in with family legend although Cheltenham and Hereford is in my family portfolio.

I will take a trip to Birmingham Library and try the IGI again.

Thank you

Barbara.

William Vaughan, Ruardean 1856

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, July 07, 2006, 07:20 (6525 days ago) @ barbara Lloyd

1891 in America ?

1881 Littledean Woodside
William Vaughn abt 1856 Forest Dean Head Westbury on Severn - East Dean Gloucestershire
Julia Vaughn abt 1858 Forest Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife Westbury on Severn - East Dean
Julia E. Vaughn 1879 Forest Dean Daughter Westbury on Severn - East Dean Gloucestershire
Willie Vaughn 1881 Forest Dean Son Westbury on Severn - East Dean Gloucestershire

1881 Cinderford [Westbury on Severn - East Dean ] Gloucestershire
Alfred Nicholas abt 1839 Caldicott, Monmouth, Wales Head
Mary Ann Nicholas abt 1832 Brompton Brain, Radnorshire, Wales Wife
Albert Nicholas abt 1866 Caldicott, Monmouth, Wales Son
Charles Nicholas abt 1873 Caldicott, Monmouth, Wales Son
Corneleius Nicholas abt 1865 Caldicott, Monmouth, Wales Son
Joseph Nicholas abt 1870 Caldicott, Monmouth, Wales Son
Thomas Nicholas abt 1864 Caldicott, Monmouth, Wales Son

1871 Cinderford
Mary Ann Nicholas abt 1832 Kingston Radwars Head East Dean Gloucestershire Inn Keepr
Mary Ann Vaughn abt 1854 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
William Vaughn abt 1857 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Sarah Ann Vaughn abt 1859 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Cornelius Nicholas abt 1864 Monmouthshire, Wales Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Albert Nicholas abt 1867 Monmouthshire, Wales Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Josheph Nicholas abt 1870 Monmouthshire, Wales Son East Dean Gloucestershire

Mary A Vaughn abt 1832 Bramptonbrion, Herefordshire, England Head Caldicot Monmouthshire Farmer
Mary A Vaughn abt 1854 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Caldicot Monmouthshire
Sarah A Vaughn abt 1859 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Caldicot Monmouthshire
William Vaughn abt 1856 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Son Caldicot Monmouthshire

Baptism Oct 13 1856 s/o William and Mary Vaughan

--

by Barbara Lloyd @, Friday, July 07, 2006, 09:21 (6525 days ago) @ slowhands

Dear Slowhands,

I have just seen the information headed William Vaughan Ruardean 1856
I think this may be of tremendous help, from old family papers
William Vaughan married (1) Mary Owen and (2) ?Nichols or Nicholas
William and Mary had 3 children one of which was William Henry who married
Julia Elizabeth Ulyett which ties in with your information. William Henry's second marriage to ?Nichols/Nicholas also ties in with the information I have showing 5 children from the 2nd marriage. I also notice your spelling of Vaughan (Vaughn) At some point and I do not have any
dates William Henry and Julia Elizabeth went to America and this is where
my Grandmother comes into the picture about 1886. The family were back in the UK in the 1901 census with a new marriage to Eva? and a daughter Caroline.

As a newcomer to genealogy (due to retirement) and a little more time to spare I am learning the pitfalls of finding correct information and also being taken on many wild goose chases.

Can you help me as to your source of information, I do appreciate your help.

William Vaughan, Ruardean 1856 - father William - Pludds

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, July 07, 2006, 10:07 (6525 days ago) @ Barbara Lloyd

its mainly from Ancestry's census transcriptions.. hence the numerous spellings !

William Vaughan , 35 , buried Ruardean 20 Apr 1859.

Registration of Death
Name: William Vaughan
Year of Registration: 1859
Quarter of Registration: April/May/June
District: Westbury on Severn
County: Gloucestershire
Volume 6a
Page 128

1851 Pludds
William Vaugha Jun abt 1826 East Deane, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean Gloucestershire Haulier
M Ann Vaugha abt 1831 Knighton, Radnorshire, Wales Wife East Dean Gloucestershire

Name: Mary Ann Owen ( dau of Thomas Owen Farmer)
Year of Registration: 1850
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec ( December 24th)
District: Ross
County: Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Hereford And Worcester
Volume: 26
Page: 365

so full circle ->

http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=385#p385

William Vaughan Snr being the Yeoman at Pludds Court

--

William Vaughan, Ruardean 1856 - father William - Pludds ?

by barbara lloyd @, Friday, July 07, 2006, 10:49 (6525 days ago) @ slowhands

Thank you very much, you have given me the incentive to get researching again and complete the Vaughan/Burt tree.

I do have a subscription to Ancestry so I must persevere, my Mother's family from S.E. London was very easy to sort and identify. Thank you again.

Barbara.

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, July 07, 2006, 11:10 (6525 days ago) @ barbara lloyd

not bad for 6 hours elapsed research :-)

Good luck

--

by Tanithv @, Friday, July 07, 2006, 12:50 (6525 days ago) @ Barbara Lloyd

Hi Barbara,
Your line fits in with my family information,
William Vaughan married Mary Ann Owen then she married again after his death to Albert or Alfred Nicholas and had about four more kids. William died in 1859 at 35yrs and is in Ruardean parish church buried with his parents.
If you look at some of the other threads on this message board about the vaughans you will find a lot of information there. I have a copy of William Henry's birth in 1857 ( his birth year varies from census to census, marriage cert etc!. Westbury on Severn is the main registration distrcit for most of his activity!

Tanith

by Dewey @, upstate New York, Friday, July 07, 2006, 17:11 (6524 days ago) @ barbara lloyd

Barbara,
A logical place to look would be the 1890 US census, but unfortunately it was destroyed by fire. So I am at loss as to "where next".
Do you know the maiden name of the wife named Eva? that might give us a clue to look further on this side of the Atlantic. any info to indicate if she was American or English? Could the family have been in the USA as early as 1880?
Yes I know I am grasping at straws to help.
Dewey

then marries -> Eva JONES 1869 Cinderford

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, July 07, 2006, 21:32 (6524 days ago) @ Barbara Lloyd

Name: Eva Jones
Name: William Henry Vaun
Year of Registration: 1892
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: Westbury On Severn
Page: 359

Name: Caroline Mary A Vaughan
Year of Registration: 1896
District: Monmouth (1837-1939)
County: Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire
Volume: 11a
Page: 36

1891 Belle Vue Rd Cinderford
Eva Jones abt 1869 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Servant East Dean Gloucestershire

1881Factory Row Cinderford Westbury on Severn - East Dean Gloucestershire
Samuel Jones abt 1822 Pontypool, Monmouth, Wales Head
Caroline Jones abt 1836 Aberavon, Monmouth, Wales Wife
Benjamin Jones abt 1874 Flaxley, Gloucestershire, England Son
Eve Jones abt 1869 Flaxley, Gloucestershire, England Daughter
Fred Jones abt 1872 Flaxley, Gloucestershire, England Son
Laura A. Jones abt 1867 Flaxley, Gloucestershire, England Daughter

1871 26 Flaxley Rd Cinderford
Samuel Jones abt 1821 Pontypool, Monmouthshire, Wales Head Flaxley Gloucestershire
Caroline Jones abt 1834 Aberavon, Glamorgan, Wales Wife Flaxley Gloucestershire
Caroline Jones abt 1864 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Flaxley Gloucestershire
Eva Jones abt 1869 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Flaxley Gloucestershire
Fanny Jones abt 1861 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Flaxley Gloucestershire
Laura Jones abt 1866 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Flaxley Gloucestershire

Samuel Jones abt 1821 Pontypool, Monmouthshire, Wales Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Carolina Jones abt 1834 Glamorgan, Wales Wife East Dean Gloucestershire

--

by Barbara Lloyd @, Saturday, July 08, 2006, 05:03 (6524 days ago) @ Dewey

Dear Dewey

Thank you for your message posted on the Forest of Dean Site. I have had a tremendous amount of help from the members of the site and have received a reply from a member which fits in with my information. She is going to give me further dates etc and places and once I get the complete picture in mind I may need to request your help with your location being "Upstate New York".
I did enquire of the Clerk to Edgar County (Paris Illionois) and received a very nice e mail back but saying no luck. So I will persever with this side of the Atlantic at the moment,

Thank you very much for your offer of help.

Barbara.

by Dewey @, upstate New York, Saturday, July 08, 2006, 06:17 (6524 days ago) @ Barbara Lloyd

Barbara,
If you have reason to believe that they were in Edgar Co, Illinois you might want to try the following website which also has a message board.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~iledgar/edgar.htm

I'm wondering if Julia might have died in childbirth in Illinois.

Dewey

1st marries --->Julia HEWLETT 1858 Soudley

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, July 08, 2006, 06:57 (6524 days ago) @ Tanithv

Name: Julia Elizabeth Hewlett
Year of Registration: 1880
Page: 391

1871 White Horse Inn
Samuel Hewlett abt 1815 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Louisa Hewlett abt 1822 Newnham, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
George Hewlett abt 1855 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Julia Hewlett abt 1857 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire

1861 White Horse Inn Soudley
Samuel Hewlett abt 1816 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Louisa Hewlett abt 1823 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Fanny Hewlett abt 1846 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
George Hewlett abt 1856 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Julia Hewlett abt 1858 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
William Hewlett abt 1854 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire

Name: Julia Elizabeth Hewlett
Year of Registration: 1857
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Page: 175

White Horse, Church Road, Upper Soudley, GL14 2UA

The White Horse Inn was once tied to the Alton Court Brewery in Ross on Wye.

Map Reference: SO 658105
Owner in 1891: William Nash (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £17.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Alton Court Brewery, Ross on Wye
Rateable value in 1903: £17.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Present status: Still trading
Heritage:

--

by bertha, Monday, July 10, 2006, 00:56 (6522 days ago) @ Tanithv

Following on from your message to Barbara about sending for Carolines birth certificate under the St John the Baptist thread, you'll already see on this thread that Slowhands has already posted, a wealth of information about Eva.

--
Finding new ways to spell Vaughan every day!

by Tanithv, Monday, July 10, 2006, 12:27 (6522 days ago) @ bertha

Oh so much information!!!
How can I cope with it all, photos, names etc - I'm like a kid in a sweetie shop!!!

Thank you everyone - it seems I have (possibly) found William Henry and his son William (another one!)on the Castle garden website.

William Vaughan 2yrs, Port Liverpool, ship City of New York, arrival 15Feb 1882
William Vaughan 24 yrs " " "
No sign of the rest of the family...

by Dewey, Monday, July 10, 2006, 16:13 (6522 days ago) @ Tanithv

Tanith,
On that same ship, City of New York, where you found the two Williams, there was a Jane Vaughan, wife, 24 and a James Vaughan, infant, 7 months. Could Julia have been mis-listed as Jane and could they have had another child?
Dewey

RSS Feed of thread