Major CP Ackers OBE (General)

by unknown, Friday, November 04, 2011, 08:37 (4554 days ago)

He was my Grandfather and I know as an employer and Forester he came in to contact with lots of people in the Dean.
Hoping to gather recollections or direct experiences of the man from anyone who knew or worked for him.

Major CP Ackers OBE

by m p griffiths @, Friday, November 04, 2011, 09:11 (4554 days ago) @ unknown

Could we have more information as this would help

some background on website

Huntley Manor Estate: Major C P ACKERS

http://forestry.oxfordjournals.org/content/23/2/117.extract

(click on the website page to enlarge)

Major CP Ackers OBE

by unknown, Friday, November 04, 2011, 09:32 (4554 days ago) @ m p griffiths

Major CP Ackers
Owner of Huntley Estate untill his death in 1960
Lived in Huntley Manor, employed land based work-force.
He was a JP
Author of 'Practical British Forestry, Oxford University Press 1938

Dr Cyril Hart OBE Biography ?

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Friday, November 04, 2011, 14:54 (4554 days ago) @ unknown

Searching this site's forum (sorry if you've already done so?) gives the following hit, I suggest looking up the wellknown Dean Historian, Forestry expert and author Cyril Hart OBE.

Prior thread mention
http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=18711

eg "Dr. Hart obtained his forestry and land training under the late Major C. P. Ackers of the Huntley Manor Estate, acting as land agent, and later as Managing Director of the associated companies of Forest Products Ltd., and Woodland Improvement Ltd., at Huntley."
"He went on to become Forestry Lecturer at the Royal Agricultural College at Cirencester and wrote many books on Forestry in general and the Forest in particular."

See also National Archive holdings for Dr Hart
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=040-d3921&cid=-1#-1

I would suggest this enquiry should be made to the readers of the various local newspapers.

Major CP Ackers OBE

by m p griffiths @, Friday, November 04, 2011, 15:44 (4554 days ago) @ unknown

Portrait of Gloucestershire by T.A. Ryder - 1966

'In Huntley, the road from Newent joins that from Gloucester to Ross, part of the old turnpike road to Hereford. This ran along the line of a much older, perhaps Roman, road. The rather straggling village lies in a charming setting with well-wooded hills to the north and west. The Huntley woods are some of the best managed in the country as well they might be since their owner for many years was the late C P ACKERS, who had a national reputation as a silviculturalist and who was the author of a standard book on forestry. His father was also a tree-lover and he planted specimens of many varieties in the park of his home at Huntley Manor. There is, probably, a greater variety of trees in that park than anywhere else in Gloucestershire, with the one exception of the arboretum at Westonbirt, near Tetbury'.

(I just visited Westonbirt on Wednesday to see the autumn leaves, especially the maples and acer trees, which were beautiful colours).

Huntley Manor

http://www.forestprints.co.uk/huntley_manor_v02.htm

1901 Census - Huntley

Benjamin St John ACKERS - Head - 61 - Magistrate Barrister of Law, Late Member of Parliament, Late Member of Royal Commissioners of Blind and Deaf, Farms own Land. Living on own means.

born: Leintwardine, in that portion which is in the County of Salop

Louisa M J ACKERS - wife 58, born - Middlesex, London
Susan E ACKERS - daughter 22 - born Glos. Painswick
Florence ACKERS - daughter - 20 - born Glos. Huntley
Catherine V J ACKERS - 14 - Glos. Huntley

Rosalie H SMITH - Secretary - single, 39, born Sussex, New Shoreham
Julia H KINGSTON, Governess, single 34, born London
Mary A POWIS - Servant, single, cook, 31 - born Herefordshire, Letton
Elizabeth TIPPERSON, single, 40 - Lady's Maid, born Norfolk, Scunthorpe
Sarah MAGNUS - single, 30, Young Ladies Maid, born Hdshire, Dinedor
Helen S.S. WELLING - single, 33, Upper Parlour, born Hdshire, Walford
Emily CLIFTON, single, 30 - Upper Housemaid, born Oxon - Gt. Tew
Sarah A POWLES - Servant, single 24, Upper Laundrey Maid (domestic) born Herefordshire, Woofferton
Louisa TOMKINS - single, 20 - School room - born Bucks
Winifred PARFITT - single, 20, Under Parlour, born Somerset
Eliabeth TARRANT - 18 - Under House, born Glos. Cirencester
Florence MATTHEWS, 18, Kitchen, born Glos. Huntley
Ada S POYNER - single 16, Scullery, born Glos. Newham on Severn
Henry J LAWRENCE - single, 33, Coachman, born Dorset, Weymouth
Thomas A HAREWOOD - single, 22, Groom, born Herts Hatfield

and so and so on ..... with General Manager/Under Gardener etc.

---

On the 1891 census the family are at Manor House

with

Charles P ATKINS, age 8

His Sister Edith age 22 on the 1891 census, had been deaf from fever at 3 months old.

Benjamin St John ACKERS 1840- 1915

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, November 08, 2011, 07:21 (4550 days ago) @ m p griffiths

ACKERS Catherine Victoria Isabel ACKERS HUNT 1886 Gloucester Gloucester, Huntley 17 95
ACKERS Charles Penrhyn ACKERS HUNT 1882 Gloucester Gloucester, South Hamlet 44 143
ACKERS Edith Jane ACKERS HUNT 1869 Gloucester Gloucester, South Hamlet 24 368
ACKERS Florence ACKERS HUNT 1880 Gloucester Gloucester, South Hamlet 41 274
ACKERS James Arthur ACKERS HUNT 1873 Gloucester Gloucester, South Hamlet 30 369
ACKERS Louisa ACKERS HUNT 1877 Gloucester Gloucester, South Hamlet 36 88
ACKERS Mary ACKERS HUNT 1876 Gloucester Gloucester, South Hamlet 34 172

High Sheriff of Gloucestershire
1904: Benjamin St. John Ackers, of Huntley Manor, near Gloucester

Year: 1915
Month: Apr
Day: 23
Surname: ACKERS
Forenames: Benjamin St.John
Residence: The Manor Huntley
Age_at_death: 75
Officiating_Minister: The Ven. The Archdeacon of Gloucester
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P184 1/15
Page_No: 19
Parish_Chapel: Huntley

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Major Charles Penrhyn ACKERS OBE 1882 - 1960

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, November 08, 2011, 07:23 (4550 days ago) @ unknown

Name: Charles Penrhyn Ackers
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1882
Registration district: Gloucester
Inferred County: Gloucestershire
Volume: 6a
Page: 305

Benjamin St John Ackers abt 1840 Portion of The Parish of Leintwardine, Shropshire, England Head Huntley, Gloucestershire
Louisa M J Ackers abt 1843 St Georges Hanover Square, Middlesex, England Wife Huntley, Gloucestershire
Edith J Ackers abt 1869 Prinknash Park, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Huntley, Gloucestershire
Mary Ackers abt 1876 Prinknash Park, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Huntley, Gloucestershire
Louisa Ackers abt 1878 Prinknash Park, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Huntley, Gloucestershire
Susan E Ackers abt 1879 Prinknash Park, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Huntley, Gloucestershire
Florence Ackers abt 1881 Prinknash Park, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Huntley, Gloucestershire
Charles P Ackers abt 1883 Prinknash Park, Gloucestershire, England Son Huntley, Gloucestershire
Catherine V I Ackers abt 1887 Huntley, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Huntley, Gloucestershire

Benjamin St John Ackers abt 1840 Leintwardine, Shropshire, England Head Huntley, Gloucestershire
Louisa M J Ackers abt 1843 London, Middlesex, England Wife Huntley, Gloucestershire
Susan E Ackers abt 1879 Painswick, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Huntley, Gloucestershire
Florence Ackers abt 1881 Painswick, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Huntley, Gloucestershire
Catherine V J Ackers abt 1887 Huntley, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Huntley, Gloucestershire

Edith J Ackers abt 1869 Bucknall Pk, Gloucestershire, England Visitor Bexhill, Sussex
Mary Ackers abt 1876 Bucknall Pk, Gloucestershire, England Visitor Bexhill, Sussex
Louise Ackers abt 1878 Bucknall Pk, Gloucestershire, England Visitor Bexhill, Sussex

1911 Huntley Manor
Benjamin St John Ackers 71
Edith Jane Ackers 41
Mary Ackers 35
Louisa Ackers 34
Susan Elizabeth Ackers 32
Florence Ackers 30
Charles Pewleyn Ackers 28
Catherine Victoria Isabel Ackers 24

Name:Charles P Ackers & Dorothy J Davis
Date of Registration:Jul-Aug-Sep 1922
Registration District:Kensington
Inferred County:Middlesex
Volume Number:1a
Page Number:255

Name:Robert D Ackers
Date of Registration:Apr-May-Jun 1923
Registration District:Cheltenham
Inferred County:Shropshire
Volume Number:6a
Page Number:767

High Sheriff of Gloucestershire
1927: Major Charles Penrhyn Ackers, of Huntley Manor, near Gloucester

Name: Charles P Ackers
Birth Date: abt 1882
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1960
Age at Death: 78
Registration district: Totnes
Inferred County: Devon
Volume: 7a
Page: 874

--

Son of Major CP Ackers OBE ?

by John Martin @, Sunday, June 30, 2013, 19:55 (3949 days ago) @ slowhands

Hi Folks,

I've just picked up on this thread after looking up C P Ackers. I was looking for the name of Mr Ackers son? who was killed in WWII and Cathedral Plantation on May Hill was planted in his memory.

Digressing a little I was a forestry student on Huntley Manor Estate in the early 1970's having been given a lead by Dr Cyril Hart who introduced me to Mr Trevor Edmondson, the Head Forester. His son Neil was a student too and he lodged at the Rest Room. I worked under Emrys Jones and my compatriots were Dennis Warren, Nesta, Ted and Betty Huggins, Ted Walker, Basil and the big guy from main street in the village who did all the saw bench work with his Jehovah's Witness assistant from the Forest.

I lodged with Joan Townsend and her two sons Raymond and Neil at The Firs in Hinders Lane. Neil got married to a farmers daughter from Awre. Great days and I remember so many people associated with the estate but names are fading a little now.

Ladder making in Newent, tent pegs makers on May Hill, cheap cider from Bert Knight's - all memories.

I hope Mike Freeman has forgotten my misdeeds. One of my co-students, John Studley, is now working in ethno-forestry in China and my successor Vince Thurkettle is a world champion gold panner!

My Aunt and Uncle still live in Flaxley.

Toodlepip

John Martin

Memories of May Hill, and Ackers of Huntley.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, July 01, 2013, 00:22 (3949 days ago) @ John Martin

Greetings John, welcome to the forum !
Thanks for your post, very interesting and so nice to read about your happy memories too. I'm afraid I know very little about May Hill, apparently I "climbed it" once as a small child but probably only to a very lowly base camp !. My mother was born in Longhope and married there during Coronation week June 1953, she recalls the planting of commemorative trees that year very well. She also mentions being tasked as kids to count the earlier Queen Victoria trees during picnic expeditions, allegedly one hundred but said to be "impossible to count, as if by magic"... By 1957 mum had moved from Longhope to Cinderford to start the family, her parents ran the Nags Head pub at Longhope from '53 until the mid 70s, so we often visited the area. During these plus many family outings to Gloster and the like we were always told to look out for the "Hill with trees", and I still do when driving over the Cotswolds to visit mum. I was saddened to read in the local papers that those trees don't have a happy future due to the terrible Blight, fingers crossed, or the local skyline may possibly be changed forever.
http://www.forest-and-wye-today.co.uk/featuresdetail.cfm?id=5188

There used to be an excellent Taynton Family History website which included a lovely piece about May Hill by a local author, but sadly that website has closed... The excellent Longhope Village website speaks about the Hill, but doesn't answer your query at all. http://www.longhopevillage.co.uk/history/mayhill/

This 1868 entry for nearby Aston Ingham describes May Hill as the "mariners landmark".
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/HEF/AstonIngham/Gaz1868.html

In this site we often refer to the superb Victoria British History website but as yet it doesn't include the Huntley area, probably as the relevant section has only just been finished
http://www.victoriacountyhistory.ac.uk/counties/gloucestershire/volumes/gloucestershire...
Luckily my mum has a copy of the book, when I visit in the next few weeks I'll look up the Cathedral Enclosure and hopefully will be able to add to this thread.

However further searching has found this delightful website which helps answer your question, I quote

" One of the dancers told us about a remarkable feature – hidden in the forest which adorns the flanks of the hill: a cathedral of trees. A Major CP Ackers, owner of the Huntley estate, planted trees in a full scale layout of Gloucester Cathedral (440 feet long, 200 feet across) – with redwoods, cypress and larch – in memory of his son, Flying Officer David Ackers, who died in action in 1944, aged 22. This beautiful and moving poetic act of remembrance – the ultimate memorial grove – was designed to be seen from the air. It is now hidden amongst the overgrown plantation – but one can catch a sense of it if pointed in the right direction, as I was, by Pete – bless him! This was a magical place to experience May morning – the polyphonic dawn chorus in full swing; the branches dripping with rain; the lush foliage all around me; the swathes of bluebells. Here I connected with the awakening Earth, and with all those who gathered to worship in such groves over Beltane – the organic, self-governing congregation of the cathedral of trees – whose roots stretch across the planet, connecting us all."
"I gladly joined the others in May Hill village hall for a lovely May Day breakfast The hall was beautifully laid out – with real foliage adorning the tables. Looking down over all was a portrait of David Ackers, eternally handsome and honoured (the hall had been also funded by his father)."

Thanks to Kevan for this great tale, the above article dated May 2012 is toward the end of the blog
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1104974.Kevan_Manwaring/blog

Contacting the Village Hall may give further info ?
http://mayhillvillage.com/page5.htm

This site has some stunning aerial photos of the Hill, can you find the Cathedral ?.
http://wyenot.com/mayhill.htm

Finally, here's a photo of Major Ackers OBE in his twilight years, at Huntley Manor fete in the 1950s.
http://www.sungreen.co.uk/Lydney-Glos/Scouts_at_Huntley.html

And a description of Huntley Manor and Estate from 1986.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/domesday/dblock/GB-368000-219000/page/12

I hope this helps with your pleasant memories,
ttfn Jeff.

F/O Robert David ACKERS

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, July 01, 2013, 02:20 (3949 days ago) @ Jefff

I could not initially find David Ackers on the Commonwealth Wargraves website, perhaps his body was returned to his family for Churchyard burial ?. However searching the internet gave these sites so more helpful detail;

He appears to have been schooled at Winchester, he's on the West Downs School Memorial.
"Robert David Ackers; Born 1923; Joined 1931; died 1944; Occagne (CUI) Churchyard; Flying Officer (Pilot) 152010 183 Sqdn RAFVR; 18/08/1944"
http://www.westdowns.com/rolhonor.htm

This "Landed Families" website gives a huge amount of information about the whole Ackers Family and Huntley Manor House itself with some excellent photos.
http://landedfamilies.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/13-ackers-of-huntley-manor-formerly-of.html

Finally, this site includes a request for help researching David's RAFVR service, it states he was "killed on a mission over the Falaise area in August 1944".
http://www.rafweb.org/Help_Wanted%20800-1000.htm

Falaise is in Normandy, France, just south of the D-Day invasion beaches. During the time of David's loss a momentous battle was being fought at the "Falaise Gap", where a German Army was encircled to allow the successful Allied breakout towards Paris and thus Berlin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falaise_pocket

David's 183 Squadron flew the powerful Hawker Typhoon single-seat rocketfiring aircraft, used to great effect destroying enemy tanks & vehicles trying to escape capture thro' the "Gap". Ground-attack was very dangerous work indeed and sadly it seems this is how & where David so bravely lost his life. Thankfully, despite terrible Allied losses including nearly 17,000 killed or missing airmen alone, the victory at Falaise marked the end of the Battle of Normandy with total German losses of around 450,000 men including 200,000 taken prisoner, and the ultimate Allied victory was ensured.

This photo shows a Typhoon of 183 Squadron just prior to D-Day, it's massive build and wingmounted cannon & rockets are prominent, 20 Typhoon Squadrons saw action over Normandy.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Royal_Air_Force-_2nd_Tactical_Air_Force,_1943-19...

Re-searching the CWGC site, but now using his full name, I find F/O Robert David Ackers is indeed at rest in Normandy at the small village churchyard of Cui, near Falaise.
The site states he is "Son of Charles Penrhyn Ackers and Dorothy Jane Ackers, of Huntley, Gloucestershire."
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2846205/ACKERS,%20ROBERT%20DAVID

Here's a photo of his grave, the only wargrave in this small churchyard.
http://www.inmemories.com/Cemeteries/occagnes.htm

We're planning a short visit to Normandy in late August, partly to pay our respects to some family wargraves nearby, I'll try and visit F/O Ackers too.

R.I.P.

F/O Robert David ACKERS

by John Martin @, Wednesday, September 04, 2013, 21:41 (3883 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi Jefff,

You've come up trumps with the info and I cannot thank you enough. I can't see the Cathedral Plantation on the aerial pictures but I could find it on the ground given a chance.

I hope you had a great trip to France and discovered many interesting things.

This is a great site, just a shame I spent so little time in the Forest; it has etched many memories in my mind though.

Regards

John Martin

F/O Robert David ACKERS

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, September 05, 2013, 01:21 (3883 days ago) @ John Martin

Good evenin John,
thanks so much for your kind words, it was a real pleasure for me learning more abt May Hill, but it's still very nice to be thanked. Thanks to you for adding your memories of your time in the area, and for reminding me of Winifred Foley's husband's name, Sidney. During the very early 90s they became nextdoor neighbours to my Nan who had retired to Huntley after running the Nags Head at Longhope. Thanks to your post I now remember learning Sidney had worked at Longhope Saw Mill, just as my Grampy and his dad had done years before. Do you recall what his book was about by any chance, local history I hope, I wonder if it ever got published ?. Also for mentioning Norman Beard; in a few weeks I hope to visit the Forest and meet some of the Longhope Beards who are very distant relations of mine, I'll have to ask after Norman.
I do hope you get to visit the area soon and enjoy a good hike up the Hill.

Sadly our annual trip to France had to be postponed this time, a shame given the recent lovely weather, thanks for asking. However my son did enjoy a surprise visit to an old school pal on holiday in Belgium, his pal's father is an RAF/MoD "policeman" based at the huge SHAPE Nato base near Mons. They all spent time at the local Memorials learning about the important WW1 Battle of Mons where some of our ancestors fought for the Glosters and South Wales Borderers, alongside his friend's ancestors who by "happy" coincidence were from the Scots Regiments, so very interesting as you say.

Cheers and atb, Jeff.

F/O Robert David ACKERS

by John Martin @, Saturday, September 07, 2013, 18:36 (3881 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi Jefff,

It's surprising what memories can be dragged out by prompting! There were so many names at the Longhope turnery works I've forgotten but Brian Trigg drove the fork lift, Henry and Harry, his dad, did the haulage and were based in a garage at Ruardean. Frank Turner did the odd ball jobs - skittles and one-offs. One woman from the forest who had red hair had never been further than Gloucester in her life! Whilst I was there I had a good introduction into the forest dialect, ole butt. There were many workers from the forest.

I worked with Graham Tyler (and Norman Beard) from Coleford who latterly worked at the heritage centre doing ironwork so I'm told. John Allen, son of Keith Allen, lived on site and his father lived at Cliffords Mesne with his horses and an Alsation called Trompo. He had a groom who married a farmer from Bamfurlong way between Gloucester and Cheltenham. I made them a blanket box from English Elm with brass fittings.

Sorry to learn you didn't get away, perhaps you'll have another chance before too long.

I've just dropped in and have to go now but it's been enjoyable to recall those days.

All the best,

John

Hawker & Gloster Aircraft, D-Day, built by Foresters

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 14:03 (3605 days ago) @ Jefff

When writing about the Hawker Typhoon flown so effectively over the D-Day landings seventy years ago this week, I was remiss by not mentioning the considerable efforts of a great many Foresters who helped build these aircraft.

Despite retaining it's name the Gloster Aircraft Company at Hucclecote had been taken-over by Hawker Aircraft Ltd in 1934. Under threat of War the Government realised they had to plan for significantly increased armaments production, so several new "shadow" factories were built around the UK at extreme range from enemy bombers. This included one next to GAC's factory & airfield at Hucclecote aka Brockworth, the first turf was cut in August 1938. The first really important contract for the enlarged GAC was the RAF's first "modern" fighter the Hawker Hurricane. From October 1939 to March 1942 Glosters built 2,750 Hurricanes, the mainstay of Fighter Command during the Battle of France and the Battle of Britain. GAC's main efforts then shifted to developing & building the Typhoon as flown by F/O Ackers. The first production "Tiffy" flew May 1941, by the War's end all but a handful of the 3,330 total were made at Hucclecote/Brockworth peaking at 5 per day.

This photo shows just how massive the Tiffy was compared to the men & ladies who built & flew it. http://www.sungreen.co.uk/Elton/Gloster_aircraft.html
Here's another at their Hucclecote airfield.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/27862259@N02/6004160311/

GAC used a few airfields in the area during & post WW2, including the RAF field at Moreton Valence 5 miles south of Brockworth. The Gloster Javelin jet was introduced in 1952, in final build trim it was too heavy to take-off from the short Brockworth runaway, so they were part-built there before "hopping" to Moreton Valence for final assembly at GAC's small factory. They also did mid-life upgrading of Javelins until their withdrawal from RAF service and the end of the Gloster brandname in 1968. The long Moreton Valence runway became part of the M5 motorway.
http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?a=0&hob_id=1406485
http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/234743-brockworth-airfield.html

Britain's first-ever jet aircraft, the "Top Secret" Gloster E28/39 designed and built by GAC using Sir Frank Whittle's engine, first left the ground at Hucclecote in April 1941. This led to GAC building the Allies' first service jet, the twin-engined Gloster Meteor, which entered RAF service in 1944 and served around the world for many years afterwards, as did it's successor the advanced "all weather" Javelin.
http://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/JetAgeRMC_GAC90.htm

During the War large numbers of Forester's, including "retired" miners & many women, worked at the various armaments factories between Gloucester & Cheltenham, such as Dowty, Rotol and Smiths Industries as well as GAC. (2016 UPDATE, by curious coincidence the Dowty propellor factory has recently relocated to the old Ranks site t Mitcheldean, possibly for 3+ years, following a fire at their Gloucester plant.)
http://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/GlosProp.htm

My Dad's first job was a Saturday boy for Edwards Buses by his Joys Green home, near Lydbrook, he joined fulltime on leaving school at the outbreak of WW2. During the war Edwards, like many other local firms, were very busy ferrying workers from the Forest to the expanding Gloucester factories who were soon working 24/7 shift patterns. They also operated a fleet of heavy goods lorries. Edwards' bus fleet alone quickly grew to around twenty vehicles, my sixteen year old Dad was soon working as a conductor on these routes. It was while employed as such that he drove his first bus on the public highway, relieving the tired driver of a double decker returning from the Gloucester factories during the middle of the night. Maybe he was underage so technically illegal, but "there was a War on !". I'm pleased to say this was the first of a lifetime of driving & managing service buses around the Forest, and to my knowledge he was a 100% safe, accident-free & popular driver, respected as-such by all who met him. It was lovely to see representatives of many local bus companies at Dad's funeral, such as Grindles, Beards, Bennetts, Bevans and Cottrells.

"One of Edwards’s Bedford buses was machine-gunned in a lunchtime raid at Brockworth and an elderly passenger killed. The bus lived to fight another day but for some macabre reason the fatal bullet was never removed from the Bedford’s upholstery... Other buses of the Edwards fleet also suffered War damage and were normally sent to coachbuilder Praills of Hereford for repair."
Thanks to this great article which kindly mentions Dad (Bill) during his later years as manager at Edwards'.
http://www.sungreen.co.uk/Lydbrook/Edwards_story.html

More firsthand WW2 experiences of Abenhall man Jim Wyatt at GAC here;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/35/a3913535.shtml

The main GAC site at Hucclecote aka Brockworth was sold off in 1964. The original factory became the Gloster Trading Estate. The wartime "shadow" or No 2 factory a few yards further up Ermine Street towards Cooper's Hill, and the other side of the main Glosters airfield, had already become British Nylon Spinners aka ICI Fibres then Dupont. These new companies employed many ex-GAC staff so the Forest bus runs continued for many years.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/domesday/dblock/GB-388000-216000/page/4

---------------

As a kid in the mid 70s I visited the small but significant Skyfame Museum at Staverton Airport. I learnt of this while attending the annual Staverton Air Shows, I still recall my excitement first reading about this show in James' newsagents window, Cinderford. Not only did our family attend the show and see a real-live Hurricane flying, for example (my first of many such displays), but to my utter joy my Dad actually accompanyed me on a short helicopter joyride, a huge expense for us at the time, our first flight !!. After many years of hard work & fundraising I'm very pleased this collection has found a permanent and deserving home at the Jet Age Museum which has appropriately opened this very year.

https://jetagemuseum.org/
---------------

Thanks to all those Foresters who worked so hard, and were bombed and even died for their efforts, during WW2.

Hawker & Gloster Aircraft, D-Day, built by Foresters

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 23:49 (3589 days ago) @ Jefff

With regard to the report that Foresters died while travelling to and from their vital work at WW2 armaments factories in the Gloucester area, I can add the following from Humphrey Phelps' excellent book "The Forest Of Dean in Wartime":

"Before the War there was very little employment for women in the Forest. One of the few options for girls was to go into domestic service outside the Forest, a great many did this. The War changed all that.. women from the Forest also played a major role in the many industries relating directly to the War, such as munitions and aircraft factories like the ones at Brockworth, near Gloucester.
Special buses took Foresters to Brockworth factories. One day there was an air-raid just as some Forest workers were about to go home. Mrs Davies, who lived at Causeway Road Cinderford, was killed. She had boarded the bus just minutes before a bomb dropped on it.
Edgar Bradley of Lydbrook was also killed in a raid at Lydbrook. He was sat in the back of an Edwards' bus on a Saturday afternoon, waiting to go home, when a bomb fell on open ground behind the bus. He was still sitting on the bus when it went on it's journey to Lydbrook. It was only later that it was discovered Mr Bradley was dead - killed by some shrapnel which had penetrated the bus and become embedded in his back."

R.I.P Mrs Davies and Edgar Bradley.
------------------------------------------

Searching FoD PRs I'm unable to find a Cinderford burial for Mrs Davies.
However,

Record_ID: 397693
Entry_Number: 359
Year: 1905
Month: Sep
Day: 3
Parents_Surname: BRADLEY
Child_Forenames: Edgar Thomas
Fathers_Forenames: William
Mothers_Forenames: Annie
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Lydbrook
Officiating_Minister: Edward Hunt
Event: Baptism
Memoranda: Born 1905 Aug 14
Notes:
Register_Reference: D2598/3/5
Page_Number: 45
Parish_Chapel: Lydbrook Primitive Methodist
Soundex: B634

GlosBMD;

Marriage Details
Groom Surname Groom Forename Bride Surname Bride Forename District Parish Building Year Register Entry
BRADLEY Edgar Thomas BANKS Gladys May Carpenter Forest of Dean Monmouth Register Office 1927 30 50

FreeBMD;

Deaths Jun 1942 (>99%)
-----------------------------------------------
Bradley Edgar T 36 Gloucester R. 6a 529

----------

I suspect the above story about Edgar Bradley being killed by stray shrapnel actually relates to the same event that was reported as a machine-gun casualty in my previous post in this thread.

The Trees of May Hill, and surrounding area.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, January 31, 2016, 00:48 (3005 days ago) @ Jefff

I've just stumbled across this lovely website describing in detail the trees around the May Hill area, with several photos. It shows the incredible planning made when planting the Cathedral on the summit, and some aerial photos of it. I always knew the Californian Redwoods were nature's tallest, some living thousands of years, yet I'd never have guessed any could grow in our rather-cooler climate !

Strongly recommended viewing for all with a liking for trees !

http://notabletrees.blogspot.co.uk/

Robert D ACKERS 1923 - 1944 R.I.P.

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, July 01, 2013, 07:54 (3949 days ago) @ John Martin

[image]

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them

ACKERS, ROBERT DAVID
Trade:Pilot
Service No:152010
Date of Death:18/08/1944
Regiment/Service:Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve 183 Sqdn.
Grave Reference Cemetery: OCCAGNES (CUI) CHURCHYARD
Additional Information:

(only ?) Son of Charles Penrhyn Ackers and Dorothy Jane Ackers, of Huntley, Gloucestershire.

Name:Robert D Ackers
Date of Registration:Apr-May-Jun 1923
Registration District:Cheltenham
Inferred County:Shropshire
Volume Number:6a
Page Number:767

ACKERS Robert D
ACKERS DAVIS 1923
Cheltenham Cheltenham,
Cheltenham 46A 34

--

Robert D ACKERS 1923 - 1944 R.I.P.

by John Martin @, Wednesday, September 04, 2013, 21:47 (3883 days ago) @ slowhands

Thank you slowhands, that's the man and with your and Jefff's help, I've satisfied my curiosity.

I must make a special effort to get to Huntley and get permission to have a wander round the woods.

Regards

John Martin

by John Studley @, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 19:15 (3890 days ago) @ John Martin

Every so often I feed my name into google to check my cyberspace profile, so today my curiosity was piqued to find I was mentioned in the same "breath" as Major Ackers.

In common with John Martin I was a beneficiary of the forestry legacy of Major CP Ackers. I am also indebted to Trevor Edmondson and Emrys Jones for their efforts in trying to turn an urban public school boy into a student forester

My forestry experience on Huntley Manor Estate provided me with an excellent basis and cultural context for Community Forestry in Nepal and eventually a doctorate in Tibetan ethno-forestry practice. In a week I am off to NW Yunnan to conduct a bio-cultural audit of a natural sacred site in the foothills of the KawaKarpo Mountain Range.

I have good memories of many of the characters John Martin mentions. I think the name of the big guy from main street was Graham Jones but I have no recollection of his JW mate's name.

I regret having so little contact since I left Huntley. I was short-listed for an EU project and they required testimonials from all my previous employers. I wrote to and heard back from Mrs Freeman, who mentioned then that Emrys Jones was living in the village.

Thank you John Martin for including me in this site

Dr John Studley
PhD MA OND CGeog FRGS

by John Martin @, Wednesday, September 04, 2013, 21:37 (3883 days ago) @ John Studley

Hi John, how nice to hear from you again. We did make a brief contact a couple of years ago but my communication skills need honing.

You are right with Graham Jones; he who bought the maize yellow Ford Capri! His JW mate was called Sam if I recall correctly now.

My Cathedral Plantation query has been ably answered by Jefff and I will reply to him accordingly.

Other names I've been juggling who were at Huntley and around May Hill when we were there were
Norman Beard - I worked with him when I went to James Constance & Son turnery works at Longhope.
Johnny Beard? - He was the chap killed on a Saturday morning when winching a dead elm he was felling.
Frank Webley - the retired gamekeeper on Huntley who patrolled the cherry orchard shooting the song birds that ate the cherries.
Ted and Betty Hughes - I think you lodged with them in a bungalow in Huntley. Ted worked the extraction horse.
Nesta ? - who worked in the cleaving shed with Dennis Warren.
Jock Shelley - JP who lived in the village and Dennis Warren felled his tall elm in his garden.
Ted Walker - the tractor driver.
Dennis Munday - foreman at the sawmill and bellringer.
Sid Foley - worked at the sawmill. Wife Winifred wrote 'Child in the Forest'. He wrote a book too and I read a draft. His son was a gamekeeper on a Cotswold Estate.
Mike and Ginny ? - lived up behind the Manor.
Bert Knight - fruit grower; he had a 'K' plantation on the bank below the Rest Room.

Sorry, I'm rambling on a bit but it was a great time as a student.

How are your family, Paul, Felicity and your other sister who I cannot remember the name of?

Remember digging and processing Christmas Trees in Mrs Browns Plantation and me killing the black and white rabbit with a well aimed and thrown billhook?

Sorry folks, I guess this isn't the place to chat.

Regards

John Martin

Major CP Ackers OBE

by unknown, Sunday, April 01, 2012, 17:16 (4405 days ago) @ unknown

Hello Julian - I knew your grandfather from when I used to visit Huntley Manor as a little girl ...to us he was "Uncle Charles" ..with every good wish Clare

Major CP Ackers OBE

by unknown, Sunday, April 01, 2012, 19:21 (4404 days ago) @ unknown

Hello again Julian - my mother who is 96 knew uncle Charles very well as he was a close friend of her father,( my grandfather) John Bentinck Martin - in fact he died at his house ....if you want to get in touch ask the moderators if you can give me your e mail address and I and my mum will be happy to speak to you on the phone...every good wish Clare

Major CP Ackers OBE

by unknown, Monday, November 12, 2012, 09:59 (4180 days ago) @ unknown

Only just seen this, so it might be a bit late....

My father, John Bewick, was in in the RAF in Rhodesia after the second world war. He walked into the mess one day (he was about 28 years of age at the time) and saw on the notice board the opportunity for personnel who were leaving the RAF to train in forestry with C.P Ackers on the Huntley Estate. Along with his best friend, my father signed up....ans so began a lifelong career in forestry. After the one year training at Huntley under C.P Ackers, he signed up for a course in Estate Management at Cirencester.

The silvicultural practices that C.P Ackers promoted had a long lasting influence on my father, who became a forestry contractor and consultant, and a founder member of the continuous cover forestry group. In fact, it was very rare that he talked about forestry without mentioning the name of C.P.Ackers somewhere! My father died last year aged 89, and has left a collection of papers on continuous cover forestry that are now at the University of Bangor. The papers are about forestry practices that, having been seen to flourish so much under your grandfather's stewardship at Huntley, became the cornerstone of my own father's career.

All the best

Martin Bewick

Major CP Ackers OBE

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, November 12, 2012, 10:04 (4180 days ago) @ unknown

Only just seen this, so it might be a bit late....

Never too late !

--

RSS Feed of thread