Passenger List Query (General)

by Tanithv @, Sunday, July 09, 2006, 12:13 (6527 days ago)

Hi,
I'm trying to find any info on Passenger lists to the US around 1881 - 1885 from Ruardean. I've seen the press clippings of the crossings advert on this website and was wondering how I could get hold of any passenger lists. The family is vaughan - again! William Henry and wife Eliza/ Julia, daughter Julia E Vaughn c1881, Willie Vaughn c1882, possibly travelling with members of the Nicholas family. I have them on census in 1881 and 1901 but I know they were in Illinois, Minnesota (Cuba City) around 1885-1887, returned to UK around 1894.

Thanks
Tanith

Passenger List Query

by Dewey @, upstate New York, Sunday, July 09, 2006, 16:46 (6527 days ago) @ Tanithv

Tanith,
A few years ago I requested a lookup on the Egland Passenger Departure Lists from an English researcher. I was informed by her that the lists are available at your archives near London, but they are not indexed and require days and days to search page by page and line by line.
The New York arrival lists are indexed for 1892 and later and are available online as "The Ellis Island Lists. Unfortunately that is not the period you want. I have heard that some of the lists for the period before 1892 are on Ancestry.Com. That list requires a paid membership, which I do not have. If you know someone with such a membership have them check for the name for you. Be also aware that while New York was the most popular arrival port, many also came through, Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Quebec City, Montreal and some other ports. Since your passengers were going to the midwest ( Illinois and Minnesota ) there was train service from some of these other ports and the fare was comparable or in some cases cheaper than New York.
I do not find a Cuba City in Minnesota, there is, however, a Cuba in Illinois. Could that be the one you mean? It is not however in Edgar County which another had mentioned as a possible residence.
I hope this is of some help.
Dewey

Ships List Web site

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Sunday, July 09, 2006, 18:20 (6527 days ago) @ Tanithv

Take a look at the Ships List Web site, it maybe of some help.
http://www.theshipslist.com/

Ships List Web site

by Pat King @, New Zealand, Sunday, July 09, 2006, 18:57 (6527 days ago) @ admin

I checked the www.castlegarden.org which covers the period prior to Ellis Island. However, though there were many Vaughan's I could not spot any of yours, except a few William's, but unless they came out separately there none of the other names/ ages.
This site is adding transcriptions all the time, so you could keep an eye on it, in case they turn up on here. It is brief in its details, gives the country of origin, wife's name and age, occupation, children's name and ages and the name of the ship.
Goodluck,
Pat

Passenger List Query

by Tanithv, Monday, July 10, 2006, 09:50 (6526 days ago) @ Dewey

Thanks Dewey,
Ill have a look at the Ellis Islands lists, I need anything from about 1882 up to 1886 for departure. The train option sounds the most likely as there are family stories of one of the boys being born on a train - hence the difficulty in finding his certificate!!
I'm paid up at Ancestry so I'll look there too

Tanith

Passenger List Query

by bertha, Tuesday, November 14, 2006, 22:45 (6398 days ago) @ Tanithv

I'm not sure how you're doing with the search for the elusive William Henry Vaughan and co. You may or may not know that until the 30th November Ancestry are giving free access to passenger lists to America. Maybe worth a try?

www.ancestry.co.uk

Passenger List Query

by Barbara Lloyd @, Wednesday, November 15, 2006, 04:39 (6398 days ago) @ bertha

Hello Bertha

Tanith Jean and myself are still doing detective work on the elusive William Henry Vaughn and his Wife Julia Elizabeth Hewlett, we have found some information not entirely accurate but very close through the Passenger Lists and also on the Castle Garden Site.

We have found census information for Julia's Daughter (Julia Elizabeth) marrying a Burrell Frazier, in Beaver County, but we are still missing any information on Julia Elizabeth (Hewlett) Vaughan.

I note your point about Ancestry being free for November and I shall be taking the opportunity looking further into the information that can be obtained.

Many Thanks for your help, keeping looking out for the elusive Vaughns,

Barbara Lloyd.

RSS Feed of thread