The Fountain Inn Parkend (General)

by Michelle Powell @, Monday, July 10, 2006, 15:40 (6522 days ago)

Does anyone have any information on old landlords of the Fountain Inn, Parkend. I would be interested to hear from anyone related to them and if you have and details. I am also interested in anything dating back before 1851 as it was a cottage before it became a pub and I am struggling to find details of who lived in it. Thank you.

The Fountain Inn Parkend

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Monday, July 10, 2006, 17:52 (6521 days ago) @ Michelle Powell

Unable to find any details prior to 1851. Can you share with us your interest in the pub. Are you looking for a particular person as we may be able to help you in other ways?

Gloucestershire Pubs
http://www.easywell.co.uk/pubs/

Map Reference: SO 616078
Owner in 1891:  Elizabeth Burgham, Redbrook Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £15.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: George Gunter (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1903: £15.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Present status: Still trading
Phone:
Landlords:
1. 1856 J. Inman
2. 1876 John Elsmore
3. 1885 Elizabeth Scott (Mrs)
4. 1891,1903,1906,1927 George Gunter
5. 1939 Hilda A. Gunter (Miss)

We also have an old picture of the pub in our Photo Gallery
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/gallery/fod_variety_1/

The Fountain Inn Parkend

by Julie Stephens @, Thursday, August 03, 2006, 13:06 (6498 days ago) @ Michelle Powell

There is a website called www.gloucestershirepubs.co.uk that holds some information about landlords etc but I'm not sure how up-to-date it is.

The Fountain Inn Parkend

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, May 06, 2017, 23:10 (2568 days ago) @ admin

While searching this website for the "Fountain" I found this page which states a James KEAR was resident at the Fountain Inn Parkend in 1859. I realise he may have been residing at the Inn without being the landlord, but the fact that the same page shows a William KEAR at the New Inn, Bream, also in 1859 makes me wonder if they were POSSIBLY related and POSSIBLY both in the pub trade ?. Hence maybe James Kear should also be included in the list of past Fountain landlords ?

Then again, perhaps this is just indicative of the KEAR name being fairly common in the FoD area ?. (I can see about 600 KEAR PRs under Parkend and Bream in this site's database...).

http://www.forest-of-dean.net/joomla/index.php/resources/16-wills/22-places

Using the Advanced Search, looking for Baptisms (to start with) taking place in "Parkend", with "inn" in the "occupation" field, yields 30 Baptisms in total. There are 8 to parents James & Harriet Kear, innkeeper of Parkend, between 1833-1844, so presumably this is the same James. Of course he may have been retired before living in the Fountain, or could have kept another Parkend inn.

From FamilySearch,

1851 Census, Parkend, Monmouthshire, Wales
Household Role Sex Age Birthplace

James Kear Head M 46 Innkeeper. Lydney, Gloucestershire
Harriet Kear Wife F 38 West Dean, Gloucestershire
Edwin Kear Son M 18 West Dean, Gloucestershire
Alfred Kear Son M 11 West Dean, Gloucestershire
Henry Kear Son M 9 West Dean, Gloucestershire
Matilda Kear Daughter F 7 West Dean, Gloucestershire
Coza Kear Daughter F 2 West Dean, Gloucestershire
Lucy Thomas Servant F 18 West Dean, Gloucestershire

The Fountain Inn Parkend

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Sunday, May 07, 2017, 11:09 (2568 days ago) @ Jefff

James is also shown in the 1841 census as an Innkeeper in Parkend though it doesn't give the pub name. Presumably the same though.

Jas Kear 35 1806 Male
Harriett Kear 25 1816 Female
Agatha Kear 8 1833 Female
Edwin Kear 5 1836 Male
Alfred Kear 3 1838 Male
Matilda Kear 3 Mo 1841 Female

The Fountain Inn Parkend

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, May 07, 2017, 13:49 (2568 days ago) @ probinson

Thanks. Oddly enough I struggled to find James Census' after 1851, which surprised me, using FamilySearch, but didn't see that one, so thanks.
Next time I have access to the full Census images for the whole village I'll try and "place" James Kear's pub's location in the village from the Census forms, and hopefully identify which pub it is from the 4 or 5 possibles.

The Fountain Inn Parkend

by obscurasky @, Sunday, May 07, 2017, 14:05 (2568 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi. I have several references to James Kear being landlord of the Fountain Inn, dating back to 1834. No earlier references to the pub seem to exist and, as the Fountain was actually the house he had grown up in, it can be assumed that he was the very first publican. The building was greatly extended in the 1840's, but the original building still exists as the basement level on the right hand side of the present structure (when looking from the front).

The Fountain Inn Parkend

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, May 08, 2017, 00:14 (2567 days ago) @ obscurasky

Hi again Alan,
thanks for confirming abt Jas Kear.

Have you tried searching the old newspapers ?. The BNA site gives 50+ mentions from the Gloster Citizen/Journal, Hereford Times, etc etc. Altho so far cannot find Geo Bradley. For example they confirm Mrs Kear in the 1850s, George Gunter having some problems with the Weights & Measures Laws in 1912, and a John Smith was landlord in 1870 and 1872 and seemed to have some troublesome customers, including one Richard Morse who drunkenly tried to attack him with a large knife in September 1872 !.

Presumably while Smith was landlord, the Inn was up for sale

"FOR SALE...
PARKEND .. To Brewers, Innkeepers, and Others. TO be SOLD by PRIVATE CONTRACT,- The old-established and Full-licensed HOUSE, known the FOUNTAIN INN, consisting of Six Bedrooms, Commercial-room, Smoking-room, Bar, Parlour, Taproom, large Club-room, Coach-house, stable and other outbuildings...."

Saturday 30 December 1871, Gloucester Journal.

The same advert also has the "Traveller's Rest" for sale, near Parkend station; for particulars apply Mr Edward Kear, Viney Hill, Blakeney.

Search the BNA site here; http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

RSS Feed of thread