Thousands of newspapers from British Library now on line (General)

by rookancestrybest @, United Kingdom, Thursday, December 01, 2011, 21:38 (4529 days ago)

I've found out that on 29th November the British Library put hundreds of the newspapers in its archive on line. I've been on the BBC's website which explains it in more depth and has a link to the British Newspaper Archive. I've not yet explored it but I think it will be of interest to others so that's why I've put this posting on your website. It's free of charge to search it and there are already more than 3,000,000 pages on there. The British Newspaper Archive comes up swiftly in any search engine.
Happy browsing!

P.S. I posted the above paragraph yesterday. I've since been on the archive's website and it's a bit tantalising because only a bit of it is free of charge the rest incurs charges. It's rather like Ancestry.Com and The National Archives in that respect. Though having said that, the snippets which can be viewed for free can reveal some interesting information, e.g. the newspaper where the article appears and some of the content. I've managed to find the name of the spouse of one of my relatives so tantalising or no it's useful for giving leads to further research if readers are as mean as me or as cautious as I am about paying for anything over the Internet!

Thousands of newspapers from British Library now on line

by SUE LAWTON @, Tuesday, December 27, 2011, 18:03 (4503 days ago) @ rookancestrybest

Can recommend this, if it's right for you.I have subscribed to it(Christmas present!), having looked at the free bits and ascertained that it would be of good use to me. It includes the Hereford Journal and Hereford Times, which both seem to have a wide coverage.So far I have downloaded 23 items which pertain to my Laughton family fron Newent and Ledbury, from just these two newspapers!Maybe I'm just lucky,(they were yeoman farmers, so there's sale notices etc.)The half of the Laughtons who moved to the Black Country don't appear-too humble, I suppose, and only the Birmingham papers are on there so far- so do look at the freebies before you buy-you can tell quite a lot from them, and whether the site will be any use to you.Check it out-as they say.....
Sue

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, December 28, 2011, 00:38 (4502 days ago) @ SUE LAWTON

Hi Sue,
thanks for the extra info. Re the Hereford Times archives, approx how far back in time do they go, please ?.

by SUE LAWTON @, Wednesday, December 28, 2011, 05:21 (4502 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi Jefff,
Hereford Journal 1781-1867---Hereford Times 1832-1867.

Hints re British Newspaper Archives website.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 04:55 (4370 days ago) @ SUE LAWTON

Thanks Sue.

Just to reiterate this does seem an excellent site, in general I share "Rook"s views and thanks again sir for highlighting the site.

In my opinion the subscription costs are quite high, so rather than subscribe and then use it on an occasional "as & when" basis and run-up perhaps a few months' subs expenses, I've decided to prepare in advance by doing as many searches as I can think of for all my various lines of research BEFORE I subscribe.
I may not have a lot of cash but I do have the time to methodically trawl the site, so I have deliberately not been overspecific wrt the site's search engine filters.

I have made many searches, often very time consuming trawling thro' literally hundreds of pages of vague "hits", and I've been carefully recording any successfull good results. Yes the site has a search engine but if, for example you're searching "Jones" in "Lydbrook" there are an awful lot of them, most unrelated !. Also like many search engines it's perhaps easy to forget to search for less-obvious items or names or places that are still actually relevant. So I use vague search terms such as just "Lydbrook" and see what came up. Also note it relies on the technology optically reading and transcribing the old and sometimes creased newspaper print, and will only give perfect matches so beware if searching unusual names, try searching spelling variations too. DON'T include say "Pte", for Private, when searching soldiers as the search will give many thousands of supposed matches but with ALL the "Pte"s regardless that you want "Pte Jones" not "Smith" etc, say.
By this method once I feel I have exhausted the site's resources, I will subscribe for the shortest time possible yet still obtain all the downloaded articles I require, as I will know exactly what to look for and where & when it happened.

Meanwhile and as "Rook" said earlier, I have still managed to find small but significant family references and clues from the snippets the website shows me. For example, while searching just one of my line's surnames, I have finally discovered the background of a lost ancestor who we knew died in France in WW1, I knew his name but still couldn't find his Records. We assumed he was a soldier in the British Army, yes he was in the trenches fighting like & alongside soldiers, but he was in Churchill's Royal Naval Divisions so his records are as a sailor !. I'm very interested in Military History but the whole story of the 1000s of trench-sailors in the RND was a new & interesting one to me. I found this out from a brief but poignant memorial "Notice" from his elderly mum in the Citizen some years later, it quoted "RND" !. This message also gave clues as to her whereabouts and age, as she had moved right off our radar.... as it was the only Notice she'd placed in 8 years of mourning, I guessed (correctly as it turned out) that maybe this was a clue that she was of failing health herself.

As with today's local rags it's a good site for finding sporting ancestors - I've found it particularly effective in discovering several generations of my mother's Wright family playing cricket for Longhope, just as my grandfather & uncle did. Many seasons-worth of their matches back to the mid 1800s including scorecards are there, as are the fundraising functions, end-of-season awards socials, AGMs and the like. In those days almost anything in a small village was newsworthy, including literally the likes of a child falling off a horse. If you have a policeman ancestor, they were very busy in this days ! Yes I've found a few small time rogues & villains too, only poaching nuts tho (honestly, guv). Probably the most newsworthy item in Longhope for many years was the long-running story regarding a "sensational murder" at the Nags Head pub in Longhope; fortunately this was half a century before my grandparents became landlords, thank heaven I never saw or heard about a ghost when I often stayed there in the 70s...

Enjoy, but be prepared to find a lost skeleton perhaps !

by SUE LAWTON @, Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 09:40 (4370 days ago) @ Jefff

Having been trawling the BNA for a few months now, I find a good tip is, if searching for an individual, to use first name initials or abbreviations eg. looking for James Laughton, try "J Laughton" or "Jas. Laughton". Maybe it was space or price of ink, but they certainly did like initials and abbreviations!This might help you to cut down the options, rather than just trying eg.Laughton, and will bring up different hits to "James Laughton", because of the way it's been scanned.Don't forget to use the advanced search for more than one word.Obviously the same applies to other common names, eg Chas. Geo. etc.

Also I have found quite a bit in other counties (notably Worcestershire), pertaining to Herefordshire, so do consider bordering counties too.These newspapers seem to have covered quite an area.If the event was scandalous, gory etc it may be covered in many parts of the country,so if you have hit upon a murder or similar, you might find extra details published anywhere, so worth following through.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 18:06 (4370 days ago) @ SUE LAWTON

Hi Sue,
first thanks for clarifying a while back about the Hereford Times coverage, apologies for not posting before. Yes you're completely right of course with your hints. Wrt the use of abbreviated names & initials I think in the old days life was generally more formal, plus as you quite rightly say I've no doubt economy of type space, ink and labour were foremost especially for the smaller local papers. I had the good fortune of visiting a small Cinderford printers in my childhood and the sheer amount of highly skilled hard physical effort that went into producing every single page was an eyeopener; no wonder in those days you rarely saw the socalled "typo" errors that modern newspapers contain despite their being produced on word processors with inbuilt spellcheckers etc !. Also those old local papers were solid type throughout with few if any photographs to help bump-up the page count, never mind pages & pages of house adverts.

When I started using the BNA site I got annoyed by getting too many hits from areas that clearly didnt relate to me, hence as you say nowdays I generally use the filters to select our region, so usually the excellent Citizen records plus the Hereford Times and Western Daily Press. I also usually filter my search to only articles and not adverts (as there weren't any shopkeepers, farmers or market gardeners etc in my line so the adverts, as interesting as they are, can hide "my trees within the woods" as t'were). That said I find some of the non-commercial small ads most interesting, so many people searching to employ nannies etc etc, a different world !

I guess like most sites and their search engines it's a case of
Trial & error + Patience + Practice makes perfect = Great results.

LATER ADDITION FOR REFERENCE:
Re the BNA website, this page lists all the Newspapers in the site's archive and the dates covered, so for us the local papers are currently

Gloucester Citizen 1877 - 1950
Gloucester Journal 1940 - 1949
Hereford Journal 1781 - 1867
Hereford Times 1832 - 1934

plus the likes of the

Bristol Mercury 1716 - 1900
Western Daily Press 1858 - 1949
And of course the bigger nationals for really major events such as murders etc.

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/home/NewspaperTitles

UPDATE 2013:
I see the wellknown FindMyPast subscription website now includes access to the BNA site to FMP subscribers, albeit sadly not thro their UK Public Library Portals.

FURTHER 2013 UPDATE:
Another new and entirely free website full of Welsh Newspapers is detailed in this thread, highly recommended !.
http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=40632

British Newspaper Archives, Great Value Offer !

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Friday, July 11, 2014, 20:03 (3576 days ago) @ Jefff

I hope that Admin will allow me to promote a new special offer currently available for the excellent BNA website.

A few months ago they introduced one month subscriptions for £10, far better value than their previous deals. I subscribed for a month and downloaded a huge number of interesting newpaper pages particularly from the Gloster Citizen. I found the whole experience very easy indeed and have never received any spam mails or phonecalls as a result. I do receive their occasional newsletter emails which have reminded me the website has added a few other local papers/years which I need to search thro.

Following the above excellent offer, I think better value than say a couple of FH magazines, I've now received another BNA email offering a FAR better monthly deal to be taken before 20th July. I'd rather not give full details right now, as I guess it's possible this offer is solely available to me via my pc, perhaps as a followup to my one month subscription a few months back ??. However please be assured after I've accepted this offer in a few days, I'll post again in the hope other forum users will also be able to take advantage of this "giveaway" offer. Even if the promotional code is just restricted to me, I think it fair to assume that anyone who takes out a monthly £10 subscription, will probably receive even better followup offers in months to come.

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Please be assured I'm not affiliated with the BNA website/business in any way whatsover, I just want others to enjoy what I think is a great value deal.

Happy Hunting !

British Newspaper Archives, Great Value Offer !, Update

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, November 29, 2014, 13:45 (3435 days ago) @ Jefff

First, apologies for not returning to this thread as I'd promised in my July post above. I had to leave my FH researches and this forum for a while. The above offer was for a one month full BNA membership with no download limit for just £1; I didn't take it up then, but two months later they emailed me again with the same offer which I was glad to accept. I recommend signing-up for the BNA email newsletters.

Today the BNA celebrates their Third Birthday, the newsletter advises they've just added 400,000 pages from 86 newspapers taking the total to 9 million pages. This month's additions most local to the Dean include;

Cheltenham Chronicle – 1827 – 1831, 1833 – 1835, 1837 – 1840, 1842 – 1849, 1863

Cheltenham Looker-On – 1858, 1878, 1880

Gloucestershire Chronicle – 1852 – 1854, 1865, 1877, 1879 – 1880, 1893, 1896, 1911

Gloucestershire Echo – 1888 – 1889, 1893, 1899

Western Daily Press – 1863

Western Mail – 1914

Worcester Journal – 1808 – 1809, 1811 – 1816, 1818 – 1821, 1829 – 1830, 1850 – 1851, 1864

Happy Hunting !

http://blog.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/2014/11/18/9-million-newspaper-pages-are-now-...

British Newspaper Archives, now includes Monmouth Beacon

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, July 14, 2016, 13:40 (2842 days ago) @ Jefff

July's email newsletter from the B.N.A shows their latest addition to their online database is the Monmouthshire Beacon, they have issues dating from the first in 1837 thro' to 1900. Since their beginning it was apparently sub-titled the "Forest of Dean Gazette". This is the first time in the last year or so they've added a new publication covering the FoD area, so hopefully it will be of use to us, I've bnever read this paper altho it's still in print and looks well-worth researching. This particular paper isn't available on the free Welsh Newspapers site as covered elsewhere in this thread.

http://blog.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/2016/07/11/your-july-british-newspapers-round...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monmouthshire_Beacon

RSS Feed of thread