Wesleyan Methodist Church Records for New Forest (1824-1930) (General)

by Keith McGraw @, Friday, July 14, 2006, 02:51 (6522 days ago)

Could anybody help to let me know where I might be able to access the B.M.D records for New Forest Wesleyan Methodist Churches? I am especially interested in the first Wesleyan Chapel in New Forest at Whitecroft in 1824.Also I would be interested in the records for Coleford chapel.

Joseph James (b 1848)and Joseph Preest (b1780) were leading members of the Coleford and Whitecroft chapels. Prior to 1824 they had to walk 8 miles to Welsh border near Redbrook.

Keith McGraw

Wesleyan Methodist Church Records for New Forest (1824-1930)

by bertha, Friday, July 14, 2006, 20:25 (6521 days ago) @ Keith McGraw

On this website (the one we are writing in) you'll notice a Parish Records Section, if you become a member, you'll have access to many Parish Records including Marriages and Baptisms for Coleford. The information on how to go about it is on the homepage

by Keith McGraw @, Friday, July 14, 2006, 23:31 (6521 days ago) @ bertha

Once again,thank you for your reply yesterday.

Yes, I have become a member, and I have looked at the excellent Coleford records, thanks. Unfortunately,I could not find any of the James family of Coleford or Yorkley, ie Joseph James b 20/5/1848 or John Herbert James his son b11/12/1876.Joseph James was a local preacher at Whitecroft Wesleyan Chapel in 1868 and was living at 'Springfield' Yorkley.

Perhaps the Wesleyan records were kept at the chapels or tranferred to the Records Office for safe keeping?

Keith McGraw

by willow, Saturday, July 15, 2006, 06:43 (6521 days ago) @ Keith McGraw

Is your Joseph the son of John and Ann
if so his baptism is listed as
27 JUN 1848 Wesleyan, Monmouth, Monmouth, England

Wesleyan Methodist Coleford Matilda William & Sarah James

by willow, Saturday, July 15, 2006, 22:23 (6520 days ago) @ willow

135. MATILDA JAMES - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 25 MAR 1840 Weslayan Meth -Nc, Coleford, Gloucester, England

136. WILLIAM JAMES - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 07 FEB 1854 Weslayan Meth -Nc, Coleford, Gloucester, England

137. SARAH JAMES - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 12 FEB 1849 Weslayan Meth -Nc, Coleford, Gloucester, England

Would these be some of yours??

by Keith McGraw @, Saturday, July 15, 2006, 23:45 (6520 days ago) @ willow

Willow
Thank you for this parentage.Unfortunately they are not the parents of Joseph James of Coleford.

His parents names were John James (b 1820) and AMY PREEST. Amy's parents were Mr and Mrs Joseph Preest .Mrs Joseph Preest laid the foundation stone for the first Wesleylan Methodist Church in the New Forest at Whitecroft.

Keith McGraw

by Keith McGraw @, Saturday, July 15, 2006, 23:50 (6520 days ago) @ willow

Willow
Thank for these James at Coleford Methodist Church.At the moment I dont know whether they are part of the same family of James in Coleford.My family connections all seem to have worshipped at Whitecroft Wesleyan Methodist Chapel.

How did you manage to find Wesleyan Records in the New Forest?

Keith McGraw

by willow, Sunday, July 16, 2006, 07:51 (6520 days ago) @ Keith McGraw

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountryEngland.htm

IGI Batchnumbers

I looked into gloucestershire then A-M for Coleford

hope that helps

by Keith McGraw @, Sunday, July 16, 2006, 22:47 (6519 days ago) @ willow

Thanks for the link to Coleford Wesleyan Records

Keith McGraw

RSS Feed of thread