Any Hill family researchers in FOD or Cam/ Dursley? (General)

by Rachel Hill, Wednesday, July 26, 2006, 11:56 (6506 days ago)

Afternoon all,

Is anyone looking for Hill family members? I have a few names in the FOD located near Bream/ Parkend area 1868 to the early 1900's.

I have found that Ezra Hill (g-g-grandfather) moved from the Cam/ Dursley area on the other
side of the Severn River. He crossed over to the FOD sometime after 1861 and married to Elizabeth
Jones in 1867.

Name: Ezra Hill
Name: Elizabeth Jones
Year of Registration: 1867
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Westbury On Severn
County: Gloucestershire
Volume: 6a
Page: 383

Where were the crossing points on the Severn River in the 1860's?

crossing the River Severn

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Wednesday, July 26, 2006, 12:32 (6506 days ago) @ Rachel Hill

Where were the crossing points on the Severn River in the 1860's?

The lowest road bridge across the Severn was Telford's crossing at Over/ Gloucester.

There were numerous ferry crossings around the great horse shoe bend between Whitminster/Arlingham -> Newnham

The railway had a steamer crossing between Sudbrook, Mon and Old Passage ( approx).

There was a coastal trade between Bristol and Newport / Chepstow but I guess this is technically the Bristol Channel :-)

< The Severn Rail bridge near Lydney was built around the mid 1870's >

by Rachel Hill, Wednesday, July 26, 2006, 12:40 (6506 days ago) @ slowhands

Thanks Slowhands!

It is interesting to find out how people got around when there was a need to travel across the river.

Would it also be realistic for people to travel up from Cam to Glouchester and back down to the FOD?

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Wednesday, July 26, 2006, 13:23 (6506 days ago) @ Rachel Hill

I would say so I've tracked Foresters to Ohio in that timeframe so Cam -> Bream via Gloucester seems plausible, good roman roads on both sides of the River .

If you look around the Newnham area there are numerous people who had crossed the river from Arlingham / Framilode etc. the boatman probably did a good trade.

RSS Feed of thread