Travel to the U.S.A Dominion Line Royal Mail Steamers (General)

by Barbara Lloyd @, Thursday, July 27, 2006, 06:18 (6505 days ago)

My Grandfather William Henry Vaughan and family travelled to America in 1882.

On looking through the photograph gallery for this site I have spotted the advert for the Dominion Line Royal Mail Steamers sailing from Bristol and Liverpool.

Does anybody have any information regarding this mode of travel, are there any passenger lists anywhere, did they sail in 1882? as the advert is for 1887. The newspaper clipping on the photograph site is supplied by "Super Slowhands" - who has kindly imparted a lot of knowledge to me.

My instinct is that Grandfather could have used the "local travel agent"

I have a possible information from the Castle Garden Site, but it is not
entirely accurate and the Dominion Line might be another possibility.
Any suggestions please?

Travel to the U.S.A Dominion Line Royal Mail Steamers

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Thursday, July 27, 2006, 06:35 (6505 days ago) @ Barbara Lloyd

I like your mention of "Super Slowhands", I think he should change his name.

We had a similar querie to your own just a little while back, take a look at the following thread which will give you some starting points.

http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=3437

Travel to the Canada / North America

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Thursday, July 27, 2006, 12:39 (6505 days ago) @ admin

Travel to the U.S.A Dominion Line Royal Mail Steamers

by Barbara Lloyd @, Thursday, July 27, 2006, 21:44 (6505 days ago) @ Barbara Lloyd

May I make an amendment to my original question. I explained myself badly.

The advert regading travel to the USA gives the name of Edwin F. Roe
Littledean Hill Cinderford.

Does anybody have any information about this Gentleman, and did his company keep lists of travellers out of Bristol and Liverpool. If he did where would be a likely plac to try and find them?

I have checked the Ships List and the Castle Garden Site.

One of my G.G. Fathers address was Severn View Littledean Hill.

Again any help is much appreciated.

Barbara.

Travel to the Canada / North America

by Keith McGraw @, Saturday, July 29, 2006, 07:29 (6503 days ago) @ slowhands

Slowhands
Very interested in emigration to Canada in 1912.John Herbert James,his wife Minnie and daughter Olive James sold up the Saddlery business in Lydney and emigrated to Saskatoon in Sakatchewen in 1912. "They wanted to sail on the Titanic but fortunately it was full and sailed on the next boat"Apparently some of John Herbert James 10 brothers had already emigrated a few years before.

I was interested in your comment that there were agents in Forest recruiting for family groups to emigrate to Canada in 1901-1914.This seems the case with the James family in Yorkley & Whitecroft.They seem to have occupations in Canada such as herdsmen,farmers,loggers and fruit packers.

Keith McGraw

RSS Feed of thread