BATES family ? formerly Forest of Dean (General)

by Peter Bates @, West Sussex UK, Friday, July 28, 2006, 02:20 (6504 days ago)

Hi all.. I am researching my family roots and the earliest member I can trace at the moment is my GREAT GRANDFATHER JAMES BATES ( 1822- 1898 ) and his wife CHARLOTTE ( 1828-1901) who were , from the 1851 census, living in Staffordshire with their children. The census seems to suggest that JAMES BATES came from Gloucestershire.....???? Forest of Dean. Does anyone have any details of a BATES family who might be the missing link Im looking for ??
ALL answers gratefully received and will be answered,

Thnks Peter Barry Bates

James BATES 1822 Dark Hill nr Coleford

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, July 28, 2006, 05:04 (6504 days ago) @ Peter Bates

James Bates abt 1822 Gloucestershire, England Head Sedgley Staffordshire
Charlotte Bates abt 1822 Sedgley, Staffordshire, England Wife Sedgley Staffordshire
Charlotte Bates abt 1856 Sedgley, Staffordshire, England Daughter Sedgley Staffordshire
Henry W Bates abt 1849 Sedgley, Staffordshire, England Son Sedgley Staffordshire
James Bates J abt 1848 Sedgley, Staffordshire, England Son Sedgley Staffordshire
Joseph Bates abt 1859 Sedgley, Staffordshire, England Son Sedgley Staffordshire
Charles Bates abt 1855 Sedgley, Staffordshire, England Son Sedgley Staffordshire

James Bates abt 1823 Darh [DARK] Hill, Gloucestershire, England Head Sedgley Staffordshire
Charlotte Bates abt 1822 Sedgley, Staffordshire, England Wife Sedgley Staffordshire
Ellen Bates abt 1851 Sedgley, Staffordshire, England Daughter Sedgley Staffordshire
James H Bates abt 1848 Sedgley, Staffordshire, England Son Sedgley Staffordshire
William H Bates abt 1849 Sedgley, Staffordshire, England Son Sedgley Staffordshire

Dark Hill Iron foundary and brick works are nr Milkwall/Coleford, good link to the Black Country...

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

co ords 358905,208777

This may be the 1841 brick making family, they are all ex-county, so could be..

John Bate abt 1797 Sedgley Staffordshire
James Bate abt 1822 Sedgley Staffordshire
Charles Bate abt 1824 Sedgley Staffordshire
H George Bate abt 1829 Sedgley Staffordshire
Thomas Bate abt 1826 Sedgley Staffordshire

by batesandco, Sunday, June 17, 2007, 03:48 (6180 days ago) @ slowhands

Hello and good morning.
Thanks VERY much for your SPEEDY reply to my query…much appreciated. Im sure that the entry you kindly passed on to me is valid for my family.

If Im reading it correctly JAMES BATES was born in Dark Hill, Glos C1822 and his father was JOHN BATE C 1797 in Sedgley Staffs.. The reference to a local Brickworks in Dark Hill is certainly relative as successive children were in the same trade in Sedgley Staffs.
The thing I cannot understand is why JOHN BATE ( father) would have travelled with his wife from Staffs to Gloucestershire THEN travelling back to Staffs subsequently.. Was the Forest of dean there an active Brick-making centre in those days?
Also…the records you mention…Is it the Parish records of Parkstone ( Glos) ?? and if so, would it be worth my while to look at these records more closely for more antecedents ??

Thanks again for your invaluable assistance..

Peter Bates .

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, June 17, 2007, 04:25 (6180 days ago) @ batesandco

I suspect James' father John was a Gloucestershire man. The 1841 census says they are living in Sedgley the blank before ( which you cannot see !) uindicates they were born out of the county of Staffs !!!

Looks like they were brick makers around Dark Hill linked to "early" modern iron furnaces ( David & Robert Mushet 1820 - 1860 ish ), who perhaps moved to Staffs to make bricks to supply the Black country industry , canals etc

by ChrisW @, Tuesday, June 19, 2007, 08:08 (6178 days ago) @ slowhands

Hi Peter

Have you looked at the IGI? There are zillions of Bate/Bates in Sedgley going back to 1605. I wonder if your man was on an "Industrial Espionage" mission to the Forest!

Regards
Chris

RSS Feed of thread