ADDAMS/ADAMS family West Dean/Awre (General)

by RUSS SMITH, Saturday, April 16, 2005, 10:42 (6947 days ago)

I am after any information on John ADDAMS/ADAMS bWest Dean married Anne FRANCES Newland parish church 1786. Would love to hear from anyone researching similar.

ADDAMS/ADAMS family West Dean/Awre

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Friday, September 29, 2006, 15:13 (6416 days ago) @ RUSS SMITH

Russ, I can't say for sure of a connection, but I am researching a John Adams, b. 1821 in Blakeney (par church of Blakeney), parents Richard Adams b. 1787 and mother Ann...per IGI, the Richard I find (unconfirmed if mine), had parents John & Ann. The IGI reference for Richard's christening show Par Church of Awre.

His son John Adams, born Feb 15, 1821 per family prayer book (now here in Canada...)
John married Sarah Lambert..... they had a daughter (among many kids) Thurza in 1855...Thurza is my gr grandmother...

Cheryl

I find the family in 1841 in Tipton, 1851 in Tipton, 1861 in B'ham (appear parents Richard & Ann passed away since Tipton,

by helena, Thursday, June 07, 2007, 09:47 (6165 days ago) @ RUSS SMITH

Hello Russ,

I have recently joined this forum and came across your message. I expect you have carried out a lot more research since 2005 (!) but I thought you may like to know that John Adams and Ann Francis/Frances were my Great x4 Grandparents. Married in 1786 at Newland Parish Church. They had a son John Adams, born 1796, who married Mary Waters on 25 Sept 1821 in Awre. Mary Waters was born 1806 in Chepstow, Monmouth. John was a victualler/quarryman (Quarryman Arms, Old Furnace, West Dean in the 1841 census). Between them they had six children, Thomas born 1821, William born 1826, George born 1827, Emily born 1829, Mary Ann born 1831 and Robert Waters Adams born 1833, died 1879 (my G-G Grandfather). Thomas married Ann Meek in 1846(?), George married Elizabeth Quarryman and Robert married Dinah Welch in 1863. I'm not sure whether John Adams snr had any brothers and sisters but there could be a link with Richard Adams? I have further and later family history which I am happy to share. Cheers, Helen

by JSannwald @, Friday, June 08, 2007, 08:24 (6164 days ago) @ helena

Hi
John / Mary Adams were my G G G GRANDPARENTS and I had traced the family back to their marriage so thanks for the further information on John's parents, John and Ann . I wondered where he came from as there was no indication of his fathers name on the marriage record.
Many thanks

Assosciated Thread

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, July 01, 2007, 00:49 (6141 days ago) @ helena

by mikehowes, Sunday, September 06, 2009, 14:14 (5343 days ago) @ helena

Helen,
I've recently started researching the FLETCHER family of the Forest of Dean for a family friend Tony Fletcher. His great grandfather was Robert Waters Adams, and I would very much like to make contact with you, especially if Hilda Annie Adams is your grandmother, because that would make you a first cousin once removed from Tony.
Mike Howes

by helen adair, Thursday, October 08, 2009, 21:32 (5310 days ago) @ mikehowes

Hello Mike,

yes, my grandmother was Hilda Anice, grandaughter of Robert Waters Adams and Dinah Adams, nee Welch, daughter of Woodman Adams and Elizabeth (Tryphena) Adams nee Morse.

Helen

by rookancestrybest @, United Kingdom, Saturday, June 30, 2007, 11:25 (6142 days ago) @ RUSS SMITH

My great-great-great grandfather was the brother of someone who married Ann Addams. They lived in Coleford but Charles and Ann emigrated to the USA in the late 1840s. If you or anyone else seeking info. on the same Ann Addams is related please respond as I have some information. To ensure that you are genuine you will only need to state which town and state they moved to in the USA and the surname (a very unusal one!), then I will know that they are the same family. If you are related please let me know as I have much information on the family.
I am called Helen and I live in Sheffield because my great-great grandfather moved there when Mushett sent some of his workers to work for Samuel Osborne's steel works there.

ADDAMS ROOK marriage

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, June 30, 2007, 23:48 (6141 days ago) @ rookancestrybest

ROOK as Rock ( transcriber error)

1841 Coleford Meend
Thomas Rock abt 1791 Dean Forest Gloucestershire Blacksmith
Elizabeth Rock abt 1791 Dean Forest Gloucestershire
Charles Rock abt 1826 Dean Forest Gloucestershire
Paul Rock abt 1831 Dean Forest Gloucestershire
Joseph Rock abt 1816 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest Gloucestershire
Thomas Rock abt 1821 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest Gloucestershire

Name:Charles Rook
Name: Ann Addams
Year of Registration: 1846
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
DISTRICT: Monmouth (1837-1939)
County: Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire
Volume: 26
Page: 129

ADDAMS ROOK marriage

by rookancestrybest @, United Kingdom, Sunday, July 01, 2007, 08:50 (6141 days ago) @ slowhands

That's right, so if you are related I can provide some more information about their life when they settled in the USA.

Documentary

by Brian Meek @, Sunday, September 06, 2009, 15:20 (5343 days ago) @ rookancestrybest

Can anyone out there help please.
I recently read in the Forest Review that a Mr A Melville Watts had been appointed as senior verderer to the Dean.
It stated that Mr Watts had also in the past made documentary films featuring aspects of Forest life.
As I don't live in the FoD now, can anyone give me a web site or phone number where I could possibly purchase copies of the films.
Thanks Brian

Documentary

by Bob Philpott @, North Wiltshire, Monday, September 07, 2009, 20:33 (5342 days ago) @ Brian Meek

Forest Life - Documentary Films

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, September 07, 2009, 21:51 (5341 days ago) @ Brian Meek

I'm not aware of copies of the "Forest Life" films being available on film or DVD.

1981 ‘Forest Life – The River Severn’ http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/112926
1980 'Forest Life – The Freeminers ' http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/110088
films by Melville Watts

usually they are shown by and with Melville Watts , in a village hall, Lions Club, charity event etc and it is a treat to be able to sit and listen/ watch :-)

I'm sure there is a market for a charity DVD to be produced by our Senior Verderer.

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Forest Life - Documentary Films

by Brian Meek @, Tuesday, September 08, 2009, 18:41 (5341 days ago) @ slowhands

Thank you Bob and Slowhands for your help. Its kicked me off in the right direction.
Brian

ADDAMS ROOK marriage

by Titera @, Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 21:49 (2154 days ago) @ slowhands

Your post years old and hoping to still get in touch with you. I am very interested in this Rook family. I came across the one who emigrated to America Charles and Ann. I’m hoping to learn what happened to Charles. Found 1848 immigration, and the next thing is 1860 census with Ann and son Charles J. Rook, no husband.

but my interest is in Charles family the Rooks. if you think you could provide any more information to me about this family in this area I would love to communicate with you. My 3X Great Grandmother is Susan Rook, born 1796.

ADDAMS ROOK marriage

by rookancestrybest @, United Kingdom, Thursday, May 31, 2018, 12:24 (2154 days ago) @ Titera

Was she also known as Susannah Rook and if so did she marry someone called Bubb and live in Cheltenham?

ADDAMS ROOK marriage

by rookancestrybest @, United Kingdom, Thursday, May 31, 2018, 12:29 (2154 days ago) @ rookancestrybest

Forgot to tick the e-mail notification of reply.

ADDAMS ROOK marriage

by rookancestrybest @, United Kingdom, Thursday, May 31, 2018, 12:29 (2154 days ago) @ rookancestrybest

E mail notification - yes please.

RSS Feed of thread