Lydbrook Viaduct (General)

by Julie Stephens @, Wednesday, August 02, 2006, 23:10 (6504 days ago)

I have been told that my great-uncle James (Jim) Williams was the only person to kick a football over the Lydbrook Viaduct. He was born in approx 1877 so I am assuming this event happened before 1920. Is anyone able to shed any light on this please?

Lydbrook Viaduct

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Thursday, August 03, 2006, 00:41 (6504 days ago) @ Julie Stephens

I seem to remember reading that the "height" of the viaduct at the steel central span was 110 ft ( for us yung 'uns) or 33 metres for our very young readers !

so in Rugby terms that is 11 times the standard cross bar height and about 3 times the height of a typical post !

no mean feat , I hope he played for Lydbrook RFC or Gloucestershire, or even England :-)

Lydbrook Viaduct

by shepway @, Thursday, August 03, 2006, 10:12 (6504 days ago) @ slowhands

Not sure that Lydbrook ever had a Rugby team but there is a former Welsh Rugby International player with Lydbrook connections!

Cheers
Mike

Lydbrook Viaduct

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Thursday, August 03, 2006, 12:36 (6503 days ago) @ shepway

Mike

Lydbrook had at least one Rugby club in the late 1800's, I suspect Edison Swann fielded a football team ......

S

Lydbrook Viaduct

by Roger Griffiths @, Bath, Saturday, August 05, 2006, 03:10 (6502 days ago) @ slowhands

Hello Julie,

I have answered your e-mail re your family. Unfortunately, it has been returned as undeliverable.

Roger

RSS Feed of thread