Rosa Ann Thomson ne Moody c 1867 Did she Die? (General)

by normanelkins @, Saturday, March 31, 2012, 13:32 (4408 days ago)

Linked to my earlier query concerning HENRY THOMSON c 1852 I have been strugggling to find out what happened to his first wife Rosa Ann a MOODY from NEWENT who he married in 1886 at Marylebone London. Returning to Newent two children were born to the marriage, Winifred Violet in 1888 and Vera Poppy in 1894. The family are together until the 1901 census and I lose track of Rosa Ann after then. Husband Henry Thomson remarries in 1910 at Bristol. The Certificate of the marriage says Henry is a widower but I can find no sign of Rosa's death or otherwise. Did Rosa die? or did she go off. At Least one of her daughters is living at Newent in the 1911 Census and there are no signs of Henry's second wife embracing his children. Any Clues would be most welcome Norman E

Rosa Ann Thomson nee Moody c 1867 Did she Die?

by m p griffiths @, Saturday, March 31, 2012, 19:33 (4407 days ago) @ normanelkins

There are two daughters listed on the 1911 census Newent District

Poppy Vera THOMSON - age 16
Violet Winifred THOMSON - age 22

Ancestry haven't got a searchable database for Gloucestershire yet - can't find easily, so unable to say what household they are living in.

1901 Census, Newent

Hy THOMSON, Cider Merchant, age 46 all born Newent
Rose - 35
Violet - 12
Vera - 6

by Paul Andrews @, Shropshire, England, Sunday, April 01, 2012, 10:37 (4407 days ago) @ m p griffiths

1911 Census RG14PN15247 RG78PN922 RD324 SD1 ED5 SN6

Lines one and two of the return are blank.
Line 3: Violet Winifred Thomson/daughter/22/single/House Keeper to Father/At Home/Newent Gloucester/English
Line 4: Poppy Vera Thomson/daughter/16/single/Scholar/At Home/Newent Gloucester/English
There are no other people recorded.
The property had nine rooms.
The return was completed and signed by Violet Winifred Thomson.
Postal Address: Southend, Newent Gloucester.

1911 Census RG14PN15293 RD325 SD2 ED14 SN9999

The Royal Infirmary, Gloucester

Thomson, Henry/Patient/Married/M/54/1857/Cider Merchants Manager Private Company/Gloshire Newent

1911 Census RG14PN14853 RG78PN901 RD319 SD1 ED28 SN35

7 Lower Church Lane, St Michaels, Bristol

Isabella Thomson/Daughter/25/Married/1/1/1/At Home/Bristol

Isabella Bowle/Thomson is living with Thirza Anne Bowle (her mother), siblings and nephew. The return states that Isabella has one child which is still living. Isabella's child is not on this return.

by m p griffiths @, Sunday, April 01, 2012, 13:40 (4407 days ago) @ Paul Andrews

Found them re your reference:

Gordon Richard H BOWLE - 7 Lower Church Lane, Bristol, age 6 listed as Grandson. His Grandmother Thirza Anne BOWLE a Professional Lodger Housekeeper - and has Agents/Professional from the theatre staying there.

Gordon Richard Horace BOWLE/THOMPSON 1906

by m p griffiths @, Sunday, April 01, 2012, 12:57 (4407 days ago) @ normanelkins

Looking at Rootschat...

Henry THOMSON married Isabella Ivy BOWLE born 1886 at Bristol in 1910 - who gave birth to Gordon Richard Horace BOWLE in 1906 (also known by the surname of THOMSON)

-----

On Ancestry: Supplement to the London Gazette 9 January 1951 - under the heading

The undermentioned 2nd Lts from T A Res of Offrs. Spec List (for service with the A.Cdt.F) to be 2nd Lts. 1 Apr 1950 with seniority as stated.

Gordon Richard Horace THOMSON (374178), 22nd October 1946

---

and also on Ancestry - Supplement to the London Gazette 29 November 1946

Gloucester Comm.

22 October 1946

Gordon Richard Horace THOMSON (374178)

---

Freebdm

Gordon R H THOMSON married Ivy M WEBB A/M/J Qtr 1933 Bristol District

Rosa Ann Thomson ne Moody c 1867 Did she Die?

by normanelkins @, Sunday, April 01, 2012, 14:57 (4407 days ago) @ normanelkins

Thank you for the responses to my request so far.

You have confirmed the background to Rosa and Husband.

I am being drawn towards the marriage of Henry Thomson being bigamous, a marriage to Isabella Bowle a lady of the same age as his eldest daughter too.
From the point of view of Isabella, Henry would have provided a name for her son Gordon a name I know he and his descendants use.

The search for Rosa goes on!!

Many Thanks

Norman E

Rosa Ann Thomson ne Moody c 1867 -1947 ?

by cjk136 @, Friday, April 13, 2012, 00:00 (4395 days ago) @ normanelkins

I have found the following on Find My Past but can't find the marriage between Rosa Moody and Henry Thomson:

Birth
Name: MOODY, Rosa Ann
Registration district: Newent County: Gloucestershire
Year of registration: 1867 Quarter of registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Volume no: 6A Page no: 245

Marriage
Name: MOODY, Rosa
Registration district: Marylebone County: London
Year of registration: 1886 Quarter of registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Volume no: 1A Page no: 1185
Name: COX, Henry
Registration district: Marylebone County: London
Year of registration: 1886 Quarter of registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Volume no: 1A Page no: 1185

Death
Name: THOMPSON, Rosanna A
Registration district: Forest of Dean County: Gloucestershire
Year of registration: 1947 Quarter of registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Age at death:80
Volume no: 7B Page no: 545

Not sure if this helps or hinders?!

Rosa Ann THOMSON ne MOODY marriage ref

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, April 13, 2012, 06:44 (4395 days ago) @ cjk136

I have found the following on Find My Past but can't find the marriage between Rosa Moody and Henry Thomson:

Name: Rosa Moody
Name: Henry Thomson
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1886
Registration district: Marylebone
Inferred County: London
Volume Number: 1a
Page Number: 1186

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Rosanna Anderson THOMPSON 1867 - 1947

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, April 13, 2012, 07:19 (4395 days ago) @ cjk136

Death
Name: THOMPSON, Rosanna A
Registration district: Forest of Dean County: Gloucestershire
Year of registration: 1947 Quarter of registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Age at death:80
Volume no: 7B Page no: 545

Not sure if this helps or hinders?!

Year: 1947
Month: Jan
Day: 14
Surname: THOMPSON
Forenames: Rosanna Anderson
Residence: The Cross Little Dean Glos
Age_at_death: 80
Officiating_Minister: George E Hubbard Rector
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P110 IN 1/14
Page_No: 32
Parish_Chapel: Littledean

<><><><><><><
Possible candidate -althought it does not feel "strong"

Rosina Ann Saysell abt 1865 Little Dean, Gloucestershire, England Servant Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

Harriet Saysell abt 1837 Elton, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean, Gloucestershire
Emma Saysell abt 1882 Littledean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Rose Thompson abt 1865 Littledean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Arthur Thompson abt 1896 Bristol Grandson East Dean, Gloucestershire
Dorothy Thompson abt 1897 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Granddaughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Stanley Thompson abt 1900 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Grandson East Dean, Gloucestershire
Walter Howell abt 1901 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Grandson East Dean, Gloucestershire

Year: 1912
Month: Nov
Day: 17
Parents_Surname: THOMPSON
Child_Forenames: Stanley Haydn Frederick Cyril
Fathers_Forenames: Arthur
Mothers_Forenames: Rosina Ann
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Church Villas Church Road Cinderford
Officiating_Minister: J Martin Vicar
Event: Baptism
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P85/2 IN 1/2
Page_Number: 87
Parish_Chapel: Cinderford St Stephen

--

Rosa Ann THOMSON ne Moody

by normanelkins @, Friday, April 13, 2012, 09:38 (4395 days ago) @ slowhands

Just off to Gloucester for a visit to GFHS and Records office, but with a smile. Thanks for everyones help so far, but as in Swimming the "P" is silent in THOMSON Hope to have resolved the issue of Rosa Death by the end of today. Warmest Thanks to all Norman Elkins

by cjk136 @, Friday, April 13, 2012, 10:41 (4395 days ago) @ normanelkins

Good luck with your search at GFHS.
This may be another possibility, a mother and daughter with the silent 'P!! Not sure if Miss C is connected, but the following people with the same last name travelled on this voyage;
Rosa THOMSON Page 34 of 38
Rose THOMSON Page 34 of 38
Miss C THOMSON Page 11 of 38

Ship: VICTORIAN
Official Number: 999
Master's name: E Outram
Steamship Line: Allan Line Steamship Co Ltd
Where bound: Montreal, Canada
Square feet: 21730
Registered tonnage: 6743
Passengers on voyage: 1611

Name: Rosa THOMSON
Date of departure: 12 May 1911
Port of departure: Liverpool
Passenger destination port: Montreal, Canada
Passenger destination: Montreal, Canada
Date of Birth:
Marital status: Single (or unaccompanied by spouse)
Sex: Female
Passenger recorded on: Page 34 of 38

Name: Rose THOMSON
Passenger destination port: Montreal, Canada
Passenger destination: Montreal, Canada
Date of Birth:
Passenger recorded on: Page 34 of 38

Name: Miss C THOMSON
Passenger destination port: Quebec, Canada
Passenger destination: Quebec, Canada
Date of Birth:
Passenger recorded on: Page 11 of 38

by normanelkins @, Friday, April 13, 2012, 15:15 (4395 days ago) @ cjk136

To all my now friends and advisors. I think we can put an end to the story, a story that has many twists for me. Today I realised that a transcription limitation on Free BMD had resulted in my searches missing the death at DARTFORD of a ROS_ Ann Thomson aged 33, Third quarter of 1901 Vol 2a Page 321. Looking at the original document it clearly states ROSA ANNE THOMSON. So my uncharitable thoughts of bigamy by husband Henry Thomson were unfounded. Henry's second marriage to unmarried mother Isabella in 1910 is another story. Henry who claimed to be 46 at his marriage was at least 56 while his bride was 22 with a 5 yearold son. Moving on to the 1911 census (6 April 1911) we find Henry in Gloucester Royal, wife Isabella living at Bristol with mother and son( Isabella calling herself a married Thomson with son staying with his birth name) and Henry's two daughters keeping house for father at Newent. I found today that Henry died at Newent 6 December 1911. Now a final and unexplained twist, on June 7th 1911 (2 months after the census) Isabella had her 5 year old son christened at Bristol using his birth name and naming herself as unmarried. The son and his descendants call themselves THOMSON (without a P) Finally both Henrys daughters emigrated to Canada (Quebec) in the middle of 1912 and so far there are no signs of a Will for Henry.

Many thanks to everyone for their help and interest.

Norman Elkins

by juliet seal @, Sunday, April 15, 2012, 05:31 (4393 days ago) @ normanelkins

Hello Norman, Have just found your queries and request regarding Thomson/Moody.
I am of that Thomson family, my family having stayed at Southends House in the 1890's! I did not know about the 're-marriage' of Henry?! His two girls, went in 1912 to Cookshire in province of Quebeq. Have not so far found anything further about them at present. His Father, also Henry, owned Southends, and this Henry was of his Father's second marriage. As for Rosa Ann, I have also found a death in Dartford Kent, for 1901.
Is your interest the Moody family or thomson.
Kind regards, Juliet

by normanelkins @, Sunday, April 15, 2012, 09:00 (4393 days ago) @ juliet seal

Juliet
Thanks for your reply and also the probate information on the Henry Thompson Thread.
Iam working with a friend who is the grandchild of Henry Thomson's second wife Isabella Bowle.
You say you are of the Thomson family and have links to Southend,Newent. Do you mean the Thomson's went to Southend?
I obviously missed the Will and would be interested to get a copy from where it is deposited.
All the signs are that Isabella was estranged from Henry at the time of his death, so who he left £17 to would be interesting. Was Southend a Tenancy and not owned by the family?
Winifred married in 1928 in Canada and Vera is not known about.
Norman Elkins

Southend House, Newent

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, April 15, 2012, 09:23 (4393 days ago) @ normanelkins

1871 Newent
SHERRATT Mrs. Elizabeth, Southend house

Southend Nurseries
SOUTHEND HOUSE
SOUTHEND LANE
Newent
Glos
GL18 1JD

and Southend Lane on Goggle map

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&rlz=1T4GGHP_en-GBGB464GB465&q=GL18%201JD&am...

--

by juliet seal @, Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 03:13 (4391 days ago) @ normanelkins

Hello again Norman,

Sorry but I don't know if there was a tenancy or if his father owned the property (Southends). His Father, also named Henry, had Southends from abt 1891 - farmer, and he died there in 1900. Henry's Father, also Henry, had two marriages, and he was from his Father's second marriage.
I can't find my copy of the Will at present - sorry - but will keep looking through the tons of paper work I have. He died in the presence of Violet Winifred Daughter. Henry born 1809, he had 7 siblings.
Of Rosa Ann - there is a death recorded of a Rosa Thomson in Hambeldon Surrey - but don't know if this is 'the Rosa'?
Henry reads as though he was a 'naughty boy'!!
Kind regards, Juliet

by NElkins, Monday, August 05, 2019, 11:34 (1725 days ago) @ normanelkins

I have come back to this thread after 7 years.
After a recent Email from Karen, almost certainly in Canada, I've had another look and assembled my latest thoughts on the THOMSON'S of Newent.
Hopefully, Karen who didn't leave an address will be reading this.
NormanE

by juliet seal @, Saturday, August 10, 2019, 22:45 (1719 days ago) @ NElkins

I like Norman, received mail from Karen. Daughter Violet was present at death of Henry- Karen, if you are reading this, details of'a' Rosa Thomson's death...but not very confident it is the correct person. Henry's father was my 3 x Gt G/father...My family visited the family in latter part of 1800's to the Thomson family in London and Gloucestershire from abroad. A Rosa Thomson died in 1901 - Henry remarried in 1910. I did a bit o sleuthing years ago re Henry's two daughters, and traced their movement to Canada and their subsequent marriages. Regards, Juliet

by NElkins, Sunday, August 11, 2019, 11:23 (1719 days ago) @ juliet seal

Juliet
I'm retraining myself not to get involved in great detail again, plus trying to track Karen down in Canada. Will just have to hope Karen is reading this.
I have had a look at the THOMSON'S again before restraints came in to play.
The death of a Rosa at Dartford in 1931 doesn't fit comfortably as you say. Her age of 33 doesn't quite match. Not at all comfortable with the 1910 Bristol marriage of Henry. Where was a wife in the 1911 census when he was in hospital and his daughters were living at Newent. There are two candidates Ivy and Nellie and they don't show in the 1911. Finally his will of £17 3s has no known beneficiaries.
I have turned up the marriage document for Winifred's Quebec marriage in 1928( she was 40).
Let us hope Karen does read all our thoughts and makes contacts.
Norman

by NElkins, Sunday, August 11, 2019, 11:26 (1719 days ago) @ NElkins

Juliet
An afterthought.
The 1928 marriage document for Winifred says both parent are deceased.
Norman

by KarenBaldwin, Tuesday, August 13, 2019, 14:45 (1717 days ago) @ NElkins

Hi Norm
Sorry that I hadn’t registered on the form and you had no way of contacting me. The age of my grandmother shocked us when we learned she was born in 1888 not as we thought in 1898. My mother Vera Annie born in 1930 always felt her mother was an older parent but again believed her birth year to be 1898. In my mother’s later years she was was quite curious to find out information about her maternal grandmother Rosa Moody.

Winifred Violet and her sister Vera Poppy were very close their entire lives. They both married Canadian men and each had 1 child. Vera Annie had 3 daughters - Karen Ann (1955) Laurie Jane (1958) and Claudia Diane (1966). Karen and Laurie both Live in the Toronto area and Claudia in the Cincinnati Ohio area.

by Gaelcroft, Tuesday, August 13, 2019, 17:32 (1717 days ago) @ KarenBaldwin

Any information that my sister Karen and I can provide to learn about our great grandmother Rosa Moody Thomson will be happily shared.
I sent an e-mail to Juliet with a little info on Winnifred Violet and Vera Poppy. Like her father, our grandmother appeared to shave off a few years, and as Karen mentioned we learned of this later in her life.
Our grandmother "Winnie" told us that her mother was an actress/singer in Drury Lane. I think it's curious that the famous Fannie Moody and her sister Lily were also actresses and singers around the same time period at the theatre and the shared Moody name.

Laurie MacDonald

RSS Feed of thread