LOVERIDGE Pauntley / Newent area (General)

by Loveridge @, Thursday, June 07, 2012, 10:34 (4342 days ago)

Richard Loveridge born 1750 in Pauntley, Glos married Sarah; children: Catherine, Sarah, Ann, Hester, Judith, Liley, Robert Rolls, John and Comfort all born in Pauntley. Please advise if you are connected to, or interested in, this family. Thanks, John

LOVERIDGE

by amanda woolley @, Thursday, March 17, 2005, 01:36 (6981 days ago) @ Loveridge

I descend from Mary Ann Loveridge christened in Newent Gloucestershire 18 August 1805. She is possibly the grand-daughter of John Loveridge b. 1726 Newent (wife Mary Ann), gt granddaughter of Thomas Loveridge born 1700 Oxenhall (wife Sarah), 2gt. grand-daughter of Giles Loveridge who married Mary wood at Oxenhall in 1665. Do I connect with anyone researching Loveridges in Newent and Oxenhall?

John LOVERIDGE born 1714

by Loveridge @, Sunday, October 30, 2011, 09:04 (4563 days ago) @ amanda woolley

I have traced my ancestors back to John Loveridge born 1714 in, I think, Pauntley; he is descended from John and Mary Loveridge of Aylesmore, Pauntley (no dates). I have developed a tentative tree of my ancestors and this includes Gyles Loveridge, born 1614 in Pauntley, who married Elizabeth; they had a son Giles who died 08/12/1712 in Newent. I think that the Pauntley Loveridges must be linked to the Newent, Oxenhall and Dymock Loveridges but I cannot yet prove this. Do you have further information? John Loveridge

LOVERIDGE - Men in Armour 1608

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, January 27, 2014, 13:08 (3742 days ago) @ Loveridge

http://www.coaley.net/glos1608/index.php

Dymock (Newent)

Humfry JOUES servant to Thomes LOVERIDGE junior yeoman A40 tallest stature

Thomas LOVERIDGE junior yeoman A40 tallest stature, trained

John LOVERIDGE of Morehouse husbandman A40 - tallest stature
(therefore Thomas/John c1568)

Thomas LOVERIDGE yeoman

Pauntley (Newent)

William LOVERIDGE husbandman A40 middle stature

(therefore William C1568)

Not too many male LOVERIDGE's able to fight in 1608

----

Gloucestershire, England, Extracted Parish Records

Text: Thomas LOVERIDGE died at Dymock 12 oc (1625), 1 Charles 1st: John LOVERIDGE is his son and next heir, and was then aged 24 years and more

Book: Burialls 1604 (Burial)

Collection: Gloucestershire - Abstracts and Inquisitions Post Mortem, Court of Chancery in the region of Charles 1

---

Ancestry

England & Wales Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills 1384 - 1858

3 Wills available to read on line

LOVERIDGE

John - 3 August 1764 - Gloucestershire
Thomas - 22 February 1793 - Newent
Thomas - 12 June 1813 - Newent

LOVERIDGE - Men in Armour 1608

by Loveridge @, Monday, January 27, 2014, 13:29 (3742 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thanks for that. Since posting the original message I have progressed enormously with my research and I can confirm that one of the Thomas Ls is a direct ancestor and the other Ls mentioned are related. John Loveridge

LOVERIDGE - PAULL

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, January 27, 2014, 13:35 (3742 days ago) @ Loveridge

Assume you belong to Ancestry - as the Will of 1764 is John LOVERIDGE of Pauntley - mentioned daughter Sarah, son John, + John LOVERIDGE of Churcham and Matthew PAULL of Newent

?

Fod Records

Burial at Newent - 10 September 1801

Matthew PAUL

Memoranda: Esq, Bachelor

and his Will (Matthew PAULL) is on Ancestry

11 February 1802 - Newent

LOVERIDGE - PAULL

by Loveridge @, Monday, February 03, 2014, 09:25 (3736 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Many thanks. In fact the John Loveridge died 1764 in Pauntley is my direct gt-gt-gt-gt grandfather. John Loveridge

LOVERIDGE

by Loveridge @, Wednesday, December 12, 2012, 09:58 (4154 days ago) @ amanda woolley

Hi Amanda. This family history work is time consuming; hence this delayed response. Anyway I have done a lot of work on my family history recently and I can now advise that I am related to Giles Loveridge junior born 1637 Pauntley died 1712 Newent. I believe that he lived in Oxenhall but my next task (in a few days time - this is more important than Christmas!)is to research the Oxenhall Loveridges; hence I will respond to you again soon. My family came from Pauntley and before that Dymock (in the 16th century) and branches of the family moved to Ledbury, Oxenhall, Newent and Churcham/Tibberton. In the meantime do you have much detail on the Loveridges? John Loveridge

LOVERIDGE 1699

by richards @, Sunday, March 16, 2014, 11:16 (3695 days ago) @ amanda woolley

Berrow, Worcestershire
Thomas son of John Loveridg of the Parish of Pauntley in the County of Glocester,yeoman & Ann his wife was baptized 9 May 1699

Anno 1725 Thomas Loveridge of the Parish of Pauntley in the County of Gloucester & Sarah Shott of this Parish were married 23 April

LOVERIDGE 1699

by Loveridge @, Sunday, March 16, 2014, 16:42 (3694 days ago) @ richards

Many thanks. This Thomas L is a distant relative of mine. John Loveridge

John LOVERIDGE of Pauntley, born 1742

by Loveridge @, Saturday, October 29, 2011, 16:37 (4563 days ago) @ Loveridge

I am directly descended from John LOVERIDGE of Pauntley, born 1742, died 1820 in Ledbury. Whilst I have numerous details of LOVERIDGEs in Pauntley from the 17th and 18th centuries, I am unable to definitively link the above mentioned to his ancestors. Is anybody able to help please? Also, I am sure that the Pauntley LOVERIDGEs must be linked to the Dymock, Oxenhall and Newent LOVERIDGEs; has anybody made this link? John Loveridge

by marklj18 @, Monday, October 31, 2011, 13:24 (4561 days ago) @ Loveridge

Hi, I'm descended from a John Loveridge, who married Elizabeth Broake (Brooke) of Bromsberrow in 1740. Does anyone know anything about this John, as there were several John Loveridges born in the Dymock/Pauntley/Newent/Oxenhall area c1700-1715 and I'm finding it hard to determine which are "unspoken for" and which can be traced as marrying or dying elsewhere. Any help much appreciated.

by Loveridge @, Monday, October 31, 2011, 13:39 (4561 days ago) @ marklj18

Hello Mark, I am descended directly from John L b. 1742 (Pauntley?) d. 1820 (Ledbury), John L "Junior" b. 1704 (Pauntley?) d. 1762 (Pauntley) and John L "Senior" b. ? (Pauntley?) d. ? (Pauntley). The latter two lived at Aylesmore Farm, Pauntley and my Pauntley connection is definite. My direct ancestors moved from Pauntley to Ledbury in c. 1766. However, I also have collected (like you I imagine)numerous other records of Loveridges in the parishes tyhat you mention; no doubt some of these will be my ancestors but I have not yet found the proof. Should we compare notes? Best regards, John

by RichardFranklin @, Monday, January 06, 2014, 15:49 (3763 days ago) @ Loveridge

Hello,
I am researching the history of my home, Baldwins Oak Farm, Castle Tump ,Newent, situated non the opposite side of the road to Aylesmore Farm. I have found that several Loveridges leased or owned the property from 1679 when John Loveridge together with Thomas Tomlins and others leased the property from John Hooke whose family had lived there since before 1598. John Loveridge is again mentioned as sole lessee from 1690 -98,and following the death of John Hooke, John Loveridge and his son (also called John?) purchased the property. Mortgage paid 24th November 1701. The next date mentioned in the deed is 10th October 1761 - Mortgage John Loveridge with Mr. J. Clarke. Then there are records of John, Richard and William Loveridge at various dates up to 1814.

Clearly there were several members of the family who owned and / or were resident at Baldwins Oak during that 100+ years. The question is whether they were your ancestors! I had found that there were several John Loveridges living at that time in various fairly local places (dimmock, Redmarley, pauntley, Botloes Green, Newent, Ledbury.

Can you shed any light on whether it was your ancestors who owned Baldwins Oak for so long?

by Loveridge @, Wednesday, January 08, 2014, 15:24 (3761 days ago) @ RichardFranklin

Hello Richard. I can say that I am related to most (if not all) of the Loveridges who lived in Dymock, Pauntley, Newent, Tibberton, Taynton and Churcham. Briefly my direct ancestors lived at Normansland, Dymock until about 1630 when they moved to Aylesmore Farm; in approx. 1766 they moved to Lilly Hall near Ledbury, this house was sold by the family in 1909. The brother of my gt-gt-gt-gt-gt grandfather John L("Gentleman of Alylesmore") was Willian L senior, born 1706 Pauntley, who married Anne Hall (the sister of the well known Pauncefoot Hall); one of his sons was Richard L born 1750 Pauntley who indeed lived at Baldwyns Oak - he retired to, and died 1823 at, Daffaluke, Herefordshire but was buried at Newent. He had two wives who gave him eleven daughters and three sons. Of these sons, William L born 1787 in Newent farmed at Winters Farm, Oxenhall. I only have that one record of my family having lived at Baldwyns Oak. However, The Loveridges that you mention are almost certainly my direct ancestors, ie John L born 1642 of Aylesmore, his son John L born 1673 of Aylesmore and his son John L born 1702 of Aylesmore; the Richard L that you mention is as above and the William L must be his son who may well have moved from Baldwyns Oak to Winters Farm in 1814. Up till now I have focussed on the threads of my family, ie births, marriages and deaths and have not yet looked closely at properties; however I know that my ancestors who lived at Aylesmore owned several properties which were leased out. I will of course be most interested to receive more details. As I live in Brighton we are some distance from you; in April 2013 we did visit Newent, Aylesmore, Pauntley, Dymock, Venn Mill and Oxenhall to look at my ancestors' houses and graves (as well as the daffodils!). For your information I hold a cannon ball that was shot by Cromwell's troops at Aylesmore! John Loveridge

by RichardFranklin @, Friday, January 17, 2014, 21:45 (3752 days ago) @ Loveridge

Hello That does fit in with the research I have done and extends it.
It also confirms some of my guesses. The only record I have come across of a Loveridge actually living at Baldwins Oak was Richard L He was recorded as the occupant in the 1796 Land Tax Assessment. There seems to have been quite a regular change of occupants. Those I have documentary record of occupancy (as opposed to ownership which is listed in a separate column) are: 1779 - What appears to read 'C.W. Loveridge'; October 7th 1790 - John Loveridge; 1793 - John Loveridge; 3.4.1794 Deed of Covenant between John L. and Richard L. John Loveridge and Richard Loveridge (This was something to do with Baldwins Oak ownership, though I don't know what);1794 - occupant was noted as 'the late John Loveridge' (I can't reconcile this with other dates / information I have found)have); 1796 - Richard Loveridge; 1799 - that mysterious C. W. Loveridge again; 6th February 1801 - A Lease was agreed between John Loveridge and the Rev'd William Beale, who was recorded as the occupant in 1802 & 1803. I think that that was actually the purchase of Baldwins as William Beale was listed as owner in 1802. That seems to be the end of the Loveridge connection with Baldwins Oak.

I have seen the graves Of the Loveridges at Oxenhall and they are situated not far from that of another person (George Hyett and family) who owned and lived at Baldwins Oak from 1932 until 2001. I loved the details of the cannon ball. Perhaps I may dig up one fired at Baldwins Oak.

Please do let me know if you do have any further information about your family.
Richard Franklin

by Loveridge @, Saturday, January 18, 2014, 14:07 (3751 days ago) @ RichardFranklin

Hello Richard. Thanks for the info which is useful for me. I can shed no light on CW Loveridge; this reference does not stack up. I would suggest that before the 19th century very, very few people had two forenames, my ancestors certainly did not. In the early 18th c. there was a Charles L in my family but he was born in 1676 and William L (the father of "your" Richard L) died in 1772 and was buried in Newent. Richard L's son, William, was born in 1787 (baptised in Newent) but it is unlikely that a legal document like yours would mention a minor. If you let me have your email address I can send you my family tree which is on an Excel spreadsheet; although this will not help you directly, it may be of interest. John

by RichardFranklin @, Saturday, January 18, 2014, 15:57 (3751 days ago) @ Loveridge

Dear John,
I am glad that the info was of interest. Because of its source it is not info which it is likely to appear in any Record Office collection.
I believe that the C W Loveridge is difficult to decipher handwriting in the Land Tax Assessment. I shall look at the original again on my next visit to Gloucester Record Office.

I would very much appreciate a sight of your family tree. One of my objects in researching our house history is to learn about the people who have owned and/or lived here.

Richard

Communicating with other forum members

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, January 18, 2014, 16:08 (3751 days ago) @ RichardFranklin

Hi Richard,
please may I suggest you edit your post to remove your email address, or rewrite it in such a way that an automated reader device will struggle to find and decipher it, some say write AT instead of @ but I'm not convinced this still works; don't forget this free public forum can be read by anyone around the world including automated computers built to find & record personal details such as email addresses. Otherwise you may find yourself suffering a barrage of junk & spam emails, some of which may possibly contain damaging viruses. I'm sorry but this is a fact of internet life, my old pc suffered an irrepairable hard-drive failure due to such an instance(NOT via this site btw). You can send private info to another forum member and in a confidential/secure format by clicking their blue user name. This sends an email direct to their computer inbox - particularly usefull if trying to contact someone within an old thread, they may not still be an active forum user (also shown by clicking their blue username) so would be less likely to see a new post.

http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=9711

I hope this helps, please keep posting and enjoying this great site.
Happy Hunting, Jeff.

NOTE TO ADMIN.In the unlikely event it's not on the "to-do list", please note the above "Must Read" post contains defunct hyperlinks including one about displaying personal email addresses.

ADMIN. The links have now been updated.

by RichardFranklin @, Sunday, January 19, 2014, 20:30 (3750 days ago) @ Jefff

Thanks for the advice.
Not sure how to edit my post however.

by Paul Andrews @, Shropshire, England, Sunday, January 19, 2014, 20:35 (3750 days ago) @ RichardFranklin

"Thanks for the advice.
Not sure how to edit my post however."

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Sunday, January 19, 2014, 20:35 (3750 days ago) @ RichardFranklin

If you check the thread I think you will find it's been edited already.

by Loveridge @, Monday, January 20, 2014, 17:25 (3749 days ago) @ RichardFranklin

Hi Richard. Just a thought knowing your focus on properties. Have you come across any of the following properties:
• in the parish of Dymock there was a “messuage and tenement” known as “Loveridge’s”
• also in the parish of Dymock there was a “cottage or tenement with garden” known as “Loveridge Oak”
• in the parish of Oxenhall there were 40 acres of pasture land known as “Loveridge”
• also in the parish of Oxenhall there was a parcel of land known as “Loveridge Close”
• in the parish of Upleadon there was another cottage known as “Loveridge Oak” and as “Loveridge’s Oak”.
I have not found any family connection with these properties but they really intrigue me. John.

by RichardFranklin @, Monday, January 20, 2014, 21:27 (3749 days ago) @ Loveridge

Hi John, Intriguing how place names are acquired. I have wondered how Baldwins Oak and Baldwins Farm derived their names.(Both alternatively spelled Baldwyns, usually without the apostrophe. The earliest form seems to have been with an 'i') I assume that at some time the land was owned or at least occupied by someone of that names. I have found no references to a 'Baldwin' individual at all, however.Intriguingly too, there is a finger post at Four Oaks pointing out the road to Baldwins Oak by name. It seems strange to have a house/farm marked out in this way as there never seems to have been an area called Baldwins Oak.

I would guess that the Loveridges references also refer to some ancient ownership or occupancy?
Richard

by Loveridge @, Monday, January 27, 2014, 10:53 (3743 days ago) @ RichardFranklin

Hello Richard. You are probably right; however, when people adopted surnames/family names in the middle ages some families adopted the name of the place where they were living. Hence one cannot always be sure whether the place name or the surname came first. In a small way this still continues, my brother lives in rural central Wales where is neighbours do not use his surname - he is known as Alan of Pencwm! John.

LOVERIDGE/ROWLS or ROW ?

by m p griffiths @, Thursday, June 07, 2012, 11:34 (4342 days ago) @ Loveridge

Is this Richard's (residence Bromesberrow) marriage to Sarah ROWLS/ROW (residence Newent) - by licence - 17 Jan 1770 at Bromsberrow on FOD records

witnesses: Richard & Deborah BROOKE *

as the children appear to start being christened in 1871

----
FOD records

Sarah LOVERIDGE was witness at a wedding in Bromsberrow along with Edward FOWLER - 16 April 1772

Richard ROBINSON of Bromesberrow - married Mary LOVERIDGE, Spinster, of Bromesberrow by Licence

---

FOD records

Burial at Bromsberrow - 2 May 1779

Deborah BROOKE of Russells End age 61

Memorda:

Mrs: wife of Mr Rich(ar)d. She was the daughter of Robert DOBYNS - Gentl(elma)n of Ridmarley age 61

LOVERIDGE/ROWLS or ROW ?

by Loveridge @, Thursday, June 07, 2012, 11:41 (4342 days ago) @ m p griffiths

I only know that Richard Loveridge was born in 1750 in Pauntley and that he married Sarah; he was a Church Warden in Pauntley and all his children were born in Pauntley. Hence, he must have lived mostly in Pauntley. I believe that he (and I) are connected with the Newent Loveridges but I have not yet been able to prove this.

LOVERIDGE/ROWLS or ROW ?

by marklj18 @, Wednesday, January 15, 2014, 15:14 (3754 days ago) @ Loveridge

Hi, apologies for the delay in responding to this one.

This marriage of a Richard Loveridge to Sarah Rowls is my relative Richard Loveridge of Redmarley, son of John and Elizabeth (nee Brooke), so not of the Pauntley family. This Richard's sister Mary, who married Richard Robinson in 1772, is my ancestor. Incidentally, Deborah Brooke nee Dobyns was their aunt, married to Richard Brooke of Russells End, Bromsberrow.

I'm still trying to establish where my John Loveridge fits in - I'm gradually eliminating possibilities, such as John the son of William jr & Anne of Newent, bapt 1710, who was still alive in 1793 while my John died in 1760. If anyone knows more about my particular branch of the Loveridges I'd love to hear from you.

Many thanks, Mark Jones

LOVERIDGE/ROWLS or ROW ?

by Loveridge @, Wednesday, January 15, 2014, 17:56 (3754 days ago) @ marklj18

Hello Mark. I am distantly related to the John L baptised 1710 Newent that you mention. Indeed many of the Ls from Dymock, Pauntley, Newent and Churcham are my relatives. In about 1630 my direct ancestors moved from Normansland, Dymock to Aylesmore, Pauntley; if you can find an ancestor from Dymock we are almost certainly related. Over the centuries my family slowly moved eastwards from Dymock to Pauntley and then to Ledbury, Newent and Churcham - this partly represents the migration from rural areas to the towns. Your John L and Elizabeth Brooke certainly lived at Pauntley Court but three of their ten children were born (in 1780, 1782 and 1785) at Castle Farm, Dymock (only 3 or 4 miles from Pauntley Court. Strangely I still have no record of a connection between this L family and my Pauntley and Dymock ancestors. John Loveridge

LOVERIDGE/ROWLS or ROW ?

by marklj18 @, Wednesday, January 15, 2014, 18:26 (3754 days ago) @ Loveridge

Hi John, thanks very much for your reply.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same John & Elizabeth having children from 1780 onwards - Elizabeth Brooke was born/bapt in 1711 at Bromsberrow while her husband John died in 1760 at Redmarley.

I know of six children that they had (Ann, William, Elizabeth, Richard, Mary, Thomas), all of whom were baptised at Redmarley between 1740 and 1756. But there's no mention of Pauntley, so I'd be thrilled to see any records that link them up with the family at Pauntley Court. I can't find a will for John, while Elizabeth was presumably left in a state of relative poverty for her brother left her a small annuity in his will, proved 1786. She died in 1800 and was buried at Bromsberrow, possibly in the Brooke family vault.

It's maddening to find so many Loveridges all in one small geographical area and not be able to work out where my John fits in! If you have any further pointers, please let me know.

Mark

LOVERIDGE/ROWLS or ROW ?

by Loveridge @, Thursday, January 16, 2014, 19:18 (3753 days ago) @ marklj18

Hi Mark. We are talking about the same family; sorry for my previous hasty message which was written without a proper look at me extensive records. We are talking about John L and Elizabeth Brooke married 31 Dec 1739 at Bromsberrow. I can tell you that their son Richard L, baptised 19 July 1747 at Redmarley married Sarah Rowles 17 Jan 1770 at Bromsberrow. They lived at Pauntley Court and, for a few years, at Castle Farm in the parish of Dymock (just over the parish border from Pauntley); they had ten children born from 1771 to 1797. I have a four-page document, written recently by Brenda Bainbridge who is a local historian and who lives in Pauntley, about this family and I could send you this document if you give me your email address. Note that this document also refers to a John L who died 11 Feb 1764 in Pauntley and who is my gt-gt-gt-gt grandfather. Unfortunately I have not yet found a connection between the Pauntley Court family (as above) and my ancesters who owned property in Pauntley and surrounding parishes; many of my ancestors are buried at Pauntley. John L

LOVERIDGE/ROWLS or ROW ?

by marklj18 @, Friday, January 17, 2014, 08:24 (3753 days ago) @ Loveridge

Hi John, Thank you, I would love to have a look at Brenda's research, my email address is markjones.fh AT gmail.com. I did find the will of John L, died 1764, but have had no luck finding any wills that definitely relate to my John & Eliz. I'll look forward to seeing Brenda's notes and hope this may lead me in a new direction. Thanks again, Mark

LOVERIDGE Pauntley / Newent area

by sianb, England, Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 20:26 (2467 days ago) @ Loveridge

Hi.I have enjoyed reading this Lov(e)ridge thread and am realising that they were quite a large and prolific family.

I have an Ann Lovridge who marries William Puckmore 3/5/1689 in Oxenhall, but both she and her husband were from Pauntley. I was wondering if you might have an idea as to why they didn't marry in Pauntly as they were both of that parish?

I'm also looking for her baptism and burial (may have a possible burial in Dymock 14/3/1719), but I've not found a baptism yet or a prior marriage.

Thank you for any help

Regards

Siân

by juliewilliams @, Astoria, Oregon, Saturday, June 13, 2020, 01:32 (1414 days ago) @ Loveridge

Hello, is anybody out there?

My ancestor Sarah Pickthorne was listed as a servant in the household of Mary Ann Loberidge
in 1851, Mary Ann being a widow who had some property. Sarah Pickthorne's family lived at Castle Tump.

Here's what the record says:

1851 Glos. Census Sarah Pickthorne, 15, unmarried servant, born Dymock, lives with Mary Ann Loberidge,
Widow, Farmer On 116 acres, with 1 laborer. (could that laborer have been Edwin Silas Williams?)

If you are connected to this Mary Ann Loberidge (Loveridge) I would love to hear from you.

Julie

by Loveridge @, Saturday, June 13, 2020, 09:42 (1414 days ago) @ juliewilliams

Hi Julie. I am connected to John Loveridge, farmer of Botloes Green, Newent; born 1795 Newent, died 1849 Newent. He married in Newent on 13/05/1847 Mary Ann Gardner who was born 1790 Newent and died 1882 Newent. Newent is, of course, not far from Pauntley and Dymock from where my anestors came. John L

by juliewilliams @, Astoria, Oregon, Wednesday, June 17, 2020, 02:40 (1410 days ago) @ Loveridge

Splendid! A definite connection! Do you know by any chance if there are records kept from their farm/estate? I wonder if it would be possible to track down names of other servants in the household? Can you tell me anything about the farm, what crops they grew, what the house was like, the barn, or anything? Are there any pictures anywhere? Hope you are well :)

by Loveridge @, Wednesday, June 17, 2020, 09:15 (1410 days ago) @ juliewilliams

Hi Julie. Don't get too excited! John Loveridge (1795 - 1849)of Botloes Green, Newent was the gt gt gt gt grandson of Giles Loveridge (1614 - 1689) who was the brother of my gt gt gt gt gt gt gt grandfather; hence the connection with me is quite remote. Whilst I have done a fair amount of detailed research on my branch of the family, I have no details of the said JL other than his ancestors back to 16th century; I believe that he had no children. What is your connection? Are we connected? John

by ddaniell @, Tuesday, June 23, 2020, 05:33 (1404 days ago) @ Loveridge

Hi, I have Loveridges too found 15 or 20 years ago when I was scratching about for ancestors. In no way has it been verified but:

Mary Gill married Thomas Loveridge and baptised Richard

Richard Loveridge was born 1648 and married Elizabeth Daniel(L)
daughter of John and Mary Daniell (probably of Redmarley D'Abitot) at Ledbury 21 October 1678

They had Robert 1685-1740 and John born 1687 but I know no more of Loveridges

I think Elizabeth Daniel(L) took with her to the Loveridge family patches of Daniell land (on which Daniells once regularly paid taxes) leaving my (junior male) branch without any. Late in the 1700s a young widowed ancestress of mine with 5 very small children seems to end up in Pauntley and live rent free. They moved a generation later to living in at Hazle Mill.

Just in case it interests anyone.
David Daniell

by nimrod, Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 15:41 (1276 days ago) @ ddaniell

Hi!

The will of William Loveridge of Ketford, Pauntley, dated 1700 names his wife, Jane, his sister, Elizabeth wife of William Phelpotts and brother, Richard. No children named. He was buried at Dymock. There is also an extensive inventory.

The detached part of Pauntley was joined to Oxenhall as late as 1883. (See the Tithe map of 1840 produced by Geoff Gwatkins, 1992.) Many of the parishioners used Oxenhall church as Pauntley church was so far away. So many Oxenhall bmd were recorded as people of Pauntley.

nimrod

by Loveridge @, Friday, October 30, 2020, 09:49 (1275 days ago) @ nimrod

Many thanks for that. This Loveridge, who does not appear on my family tree, must be a distant relative. Keep up the good work!

by nicktoovey, Tuesday, April 06, 2021, 14:00 (1116 days ago) @ Loveridge

Hello,

My wife is descended from the Gardner family incl Mary Ann who married John Loveridge as noted in this string of posts.

If you want to know more about Mary Ann and her wider family, please get in touch

regards

Nick Toovey

thetooveys@gmail.com

by Loveridge @, Tuesday, April 06, 2021, 15:47 (1116 days ago) @ nicktoovey

Hello. I am related to this John Loveridge. Mary Ann Gardner b 1790 Newent, d 1882 Newent, married John Loveridge Farmer of Botloes Green, Newent b 1795 Newent, d 1849 Newent. He was son of John Loveridge of Botloes Green, b 1753 Newent, d 1831 Newent, m Susanna Higgins b 1749, d 1832 Newent. I have traced this line back to 1533 if you want more details. John Loveridge

by nicktoovey, Tuesday, April 06, 2021, 17:25 (1116 days ago) @ Loveridge

Hello John,
thanks so much for your reply and information.
We are principally following the Gardner line of Mary-Anne's brother William who is the direct antecedent of my wife Frances nee Gardner, but we are keen to add as much detail as we can re siblings and others.
Mary Anne's grave is in Newent Town cemetery and states that she was 95 when she died in 1882, which would, if correct, mean that she was born circa 1787. We are sure that she was Newent born and bred.
But there are in fact two Mary Anne Gardners in the Baptism registers for Newent for the relevant period, one in 1790 and the other in early January 1796. The parents of both are shown as William and Mary Gardner - and the baptisms of other siblings are also recorded. We do not think there were two couples called William and Mary Gardner
We had guessed - although we have not found a death - that the first girl died and the parents decided to use the same name again ..... Her stated age on several Census returns suggest she was born in 1794/95 - although the4 1851 Census staes that she was then 61, ie born in 1790. Confusing!!
Whichever Mary Anne she was, she was no spring chicken and a spinster when she married John Loveridge , and he was in his early 50s if born in 1795. As you know, they were only married for 2 years or so before he died, she was the administrator of his estate and on the 1851 Census she is listed as farming 16 acres, presumably John's farm.
The marriage certificate describes him as "widower" - can you tell us about his first wife and whether there were any children? Our Mary Anne went blind later in life.
We have not been able to find her on the 1841 Census - she was not at home with her elderly mother who herself died on Christmas Day 1844, not long before Mary Anne married John Loveridge

Nick Toovey

by Loveridge @, Wednesday, April 07, 2021, 09:38 (1116 days ago) @ nicktoovey

Hi Nick. Sorry but I cannot help you much with your specific questions; I have not researched in great detail this branch of my family - my direct ancestors came from Pauntley which is a neighbouring parish. Your JL and my direct ancestors join up in Pauntley in the 17th century. I would say that ages shown on gravestones are not necessarily reliable because many families did not keep written records. As for Mary Ann's name, my gt-gt-gt-gt grandfather (also a JL) was the third son to be called John - his two preceding brothers, baptised as John, both died in infancy. Unfortunately I do not know the name of the first wife of "your" JL and I have no record of any children. As you must know, "your" JL married on 13/05/1847 in Newent. For the record, in the 16th century the Loveridges moved from Dymock to Pauntley. Best regards, John.

RSS Feed of thread