Hausbury/Hansbury, Gloucestershire (General)

by SUE LAWTON @, Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 09:07 (4328 days ago)

Wondered if anyone could shed any light on a place-name. I have a John Laughton (born 1763, Taynton, died 1847, Rea Farm, Ledbury). His wife was Elizabeth, born around 1786.They originally lived in Newent/Malswick where John was a miller(don't know which mill).
They moved to Rea Farm, Ledbury(most of their children were christened in Taynton/Newent). The only censuses I have for them are the 1841(in Ledbury), which states that neither John nor Elizabeth were born in Herefordshire, and the 1851, when John is no longer living,which states that Elizabeth was born in Hausbury/Hansbury, Gloucestershire.(Could be either!)

She could possibly be Elizabeth Hart, married to John Laughton 17th Dec 1810, at St. Nicholas, Gloucester.(Another farmer living at Rea Farm was James Hart(1841) but have not been able to link them).

My main problem in going further back with Elizabeth, is her place of birth. I have searched in vain for a Hausbury/Hansbury in Gloucs, or borders of Gloucs.I have wondered whether it could be Hawkesbury now in S Gloucs, or Almondsbury, S Gloucs as I have seen the records of one other person, who on 2 censuses was born Hansbury, Gloucs, and on a later third census, Almondsbury.

But wondered if anyone with local knowledge has heard of a Hausbury/Hansbury in the area more logically associated with them, i.e. Taynton/Newent/Ledbury/Gloucs Worcs borders.

Hoping someone can remove this pesky blockage, which has been plaguing me for some little time! Thanks.

LAUGHTON/HART

by m p griffiths @, Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 09:37 (4328 days ago) @ SUE LAWTON

You can always try using the Advance Search for witnesses, as this quite often turns up family links.....

Had a very quick look searching for LAUGHTON as a witness to a marriage, and this has already turned up...

Newent - 14 June 1808

James CHADNOR - residence: Donnington (Heref)

married:

Martha HART - residence, Newent

witness: John LAUGHTON, John BOWKETT

Hartpury, Gloucestershire ?

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 11:44 (4328 days ago) @ SUE LAWTON

The obvious question is - Could it be Hartpury just north of Gloucester on the Staunton / Ledbury road ?

Often pronounced Hart-bury

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/GLS/Hartpury/index.html

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

CHADNEY/Martha HART

by m p griffiths @, Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 16:21 (4328 days ago) @ SUE LAWTON

Although the FOD transcriptions has : James CHADNOR marrying Martha HUNT

on Public members tree: James CHADNEY - 1777-1849 - married Martha HART - and remarried Elizabeth PYE - Yarkhill in 1826 - Elizabeth CHANDRY's death given as - 1857, Ledbury age 86.

1851 Census, Herefordshire, Tarrington

Elizabeth CHADNEY - widow - 80 - Annuitant, born Herefordshire, Bosbury
Sarah PYE - unmarried daughter - 41 - Dressmaker, born Munsley, Herefordshire

* Sarah PIE 1841 Census, Tarrington, age 30 - Dressmaker

------

Children of James & Martha CHADNEY ....

John CHADNEY - - 1808 in Dymock

FOD records
Baptism at Dymock - 2 September 1808

John CHADNEY, parents James & Martha - born 30 August

---

then on this tree also......

Harriet 1811, James 1811, Henry 1814, Fanny - 1815, William 1816, Thomas 1819 and Ann 1820 - born Little Marcle Hereford.

FOD records - Little Marcle

CHADNEY - baptisms - parents James (Farmer) & Martha

William 1816
Thomas 1820
Harriet - 1811
James - 1811
Anne - 1812

----

FOD records

Burial at Ledbury - 6 August 1821

Martha CHADNEY - residence - Little Marcle - age 43 c1778

---

Looking again at the Public Members Tree James CHADNEY died in Ledbury 1849 age 72

HART - Wotton Under Edge? (Hawkesbury 4 miles)

by m p griffiths @, Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 18:35 (4328 days ago) @ SUE LAWTON

Looking at Genforum - there is an old message - which says

'I have found Martha HART born 13 January 1781, in Wooten-Under-Edge, Gloucester, England. Her father is James HART born about 1759 in Wooten-Under Edge. Her mother is Martha HART born about 1761 in Wooten. They were married 1788 of Kingswood, Gloucester. I have reason to believe that this Martha married James CHADNEY about 1810'

Looking at the IGI Batch Numbers for Wooten-under Edge (*4 miles from Hawkesbury) (Ancestry suggests Hawkesbury - on the 1851 census) - there is certainly quite a few children of James & Martha... inc

Rachel - 30 April 1777
James HART - 15 September 1779 and James - 1 February 1786 (? family name)
Elizh HART - 11 July 1784
Martha HART- 5 February 1781

---

Again looking at Public Members Tree (always use for guidance only)

James HART - married Martha MAGGS

siblings

Esther 1775
Hannah 1776
Rachel - 1777
Martha - 1781
Mary - 1782
Elizabeth - 1784
James - 1786-1847 - died 16 May 1847, Limehouse, Middx
Mary - 1788

by SUE LAWTON @, Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 19:52 (4327 days ago) @ m p griffiths

Thanks all for your replies.

Am leaning towards Hawkesbury myself.The pronunciation is so believable! The Martha/Elizabeth/James connection seems very interesting-but "my" James Hart would have been born about 1816 give or take(he's cited as 25 on the 1841). (Sorry I forgot to say that.)But maybe he's the next generation down. Isn't life amazing-I was brought up in the West Midlands, but find myself living a mere 5 miles from Wotton under Edge!

Hartpury certainly fits in with my family, but they always seemed to spell that correctly, as far back as 1711, according to stuff I have found.

I will investigate the Hawkesbury connection......but I may well be back (probably definitely) to pick your brains!

Thanks again for your brilliant help.

by m p griffiths @, Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 20:08 (4327 days ago) @ SUE LAWTON

Had a quick look at Gloucestershire CD - marriages 1754-1800

James HART married Ruth TIDMAN - 11 November 1798 - WUE (some children on CLDS at WUE of this couple) *

Hannah HART married William GILL of Dursley at WUE - 25 December 1791

---

needs some work, but Public Members Tree - do have a Stephen HART born 1814 in WOE of this couple - and Stephen is on the 1851 census in Bristol and is a Confectioner

---

Also on the 'net'

Marriage at Kingswood, nr Wootten 20 February 1814 - Stephen HART and Elizabeth HOLLISTER -

Baptisms at Kingswood nr Wotton to Stephen & Elizabeth HART, Clothworker

3 August 1815 - Cornelius HART
13 January 1822 - John HART
14 March 1824 - James HART
29 October 1826 - Caroline HART
8 June 1828 - Samuel HART

---
Gloucestershire Genealogical database - DART non-conformist - WUE

by CarolynO @, Sunday, August 12, 2012, 05:55 (4281 days ago) @ m p griffiths

Hi
Stephen Hart and Elizabeth Hollister are my 3rd great grandparents.I do have their ancestors and children etc if you are interested. Stephen Hart/son of Stephen Hart. He was born abt 1789 Westbury Wiltshire but lived and married in Kingswood nr Wooton Underedge. Kingswood is situated in Gloucestershire but until about 1838 was under the jurisdiction of Wiltshire. They had ten children. His father Stephen was a mason who worked and lived mostly in Westbury Wiltshire England but was born in Kingswood also to William Hart and Sarah Parker. It appears from my research that they go back to Hawkesbury area.

I have researched the Hart/Heart/etc for many years in these area.

I have not been able to connect this Hart family to mine but I have researched it extensively and have a good deal of information about Cornelius Hart and Ann Fowler and family etc. Most of their children were born in Charfield and Olveston Gloucestershire England.

I have a Martha Hart married to James Chadnor 14 June 1808 in Newent Gloucestershire England. I have a Martha Hart her parents as Cornelius Hart and Ann Fowler I have other information about this Hart family also. She had a sister Elizabeth who could be who you are looking for. Martha was born/christened 1777 Olveston Gloucestershire

CarolynO

by CarolynO @, Sunday, August 12, 2012, 06:09 (4281 days ago) @ CarolynO

Regarding James Hart and Ruth Tidman
James Hart is believed to be the son of Sarah Hart who is a sister to Stephen Hart Sr. She was born 6 Nov 1756 to William Hart and Sarah Parker. Her son was James Hart 13 Apr 1772. He married Ruth Tidman 11 Nov 1798 Wooton Underedge Gloucestershire England. I have their line also. He was apprenticed in the clothing business and was a Clothier and Cloth manufacturer. His children were christened in the Methodist Church in Kingswood.

CarolynO

RSS Feed of thread