HARTLAND Bernard Charles (General)

by unknown, Sunday, July 01, 2012, 21:32 (4320 days ago)

Hi

My father, Bernard Charles Hartland, was born in Leeds in August 1912.
His father was Henry Bernard Hartland and Mother Elsie George and they were married in Reading in 1912.

They were divorced some time before 1917 when my father was sent to live with his paternal grandmother. Later in life Bernard and Henry were estranged. I would really like to hear from anybody who knows anything about Henry Hartland or Elsie George.

Thank you

Annette

HARTLAND - 1911 Census, Newent + previous thread

by m p griffiths @, Sunday, July 01, 2012, 22:11 (4320 days ago) @ unknown

previous thread

http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=26427

(message on there dated 20 July 2010 from Lyn Skinner : I'm interested in finding Wilfred's brother Henry Bernard 1880's..... and think they went to live on the Isle of Wight)

1911 Census, Highfield, Newent

HARTLAND

Florence Mary - 48 Widow, married 24 years 9 children born alive, 5 living, 4 dead, Employer, born Newent, Glos - Employer
Gladys Mary - 23 - daughter - single - born Newent
Henry Bernard - son - 19 An apprentice to Drilling? born Newent
Emily POWELL - Servant, 20 - born Totley, Derbyshire
Alice Francis PREEDY - 5 months, Visitor - born Newent

---

England & Wales, Death Index

Name: Henry Bernard HARTLAND

Birth Date: 9 April 1891

Age at death: 94

Registration District: Isle of Wight

Inferred County: Isle of Wight

Volume: 20

Page: 1964

Henry Bernard HARTLAND 1891-1985 Newent -> IoW- prior thread

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, July 01, 2012, 23:48 (4320 days ago) @ unknown

Hi

My father, Bernard Charles Hartland, was born in Leeds in August 1912.
His father was Henry Bernard Hartland and Mother Elsie George and they were married in Reading in 1912.

They were divorced some time before 1917 when my father was sent to live with his paternal grandmother. Later in life Bernard and Henry were estranged. I would really like to hear from anybody who knows anything about Henry Hartland or Elsie George.

Thank you

Annette

A couple of years back Henry Bernard HARTLAND & Elsie May JANES
http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=26525

hence:-

Name: Bernard C Hartland
Year of Registration: 1912
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Mother's Maiden Name: George
District: Leeds (1837-1929)
County: Yorkshire - West Riding
Volume: 9b
Page: 716

Name: Bernard C Hartland
Spouse : Jane C Ward
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1939
Registration district: Southampton
Inferred County: Hampshire
Volume Number: 2c
Page Number: 64

Name: Bernard Charles Hartland
Birth Date: 25 Aug 1912
Death Registration Month/Year: May 1986
Age at death (estimated): 73
Registration district: Southampton
Inferred County: Hampshire
Volume: 20
Page: 1063

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

by dbcaves@xtra.co.nz, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 21:48 (2337 days ago) @ slowhands

Hi from New Zealand
Henry Bernard Hartland married Hilda George and their marriage was registered in the Dec Quarter of 1911.
Hilda George is my grandmother. Hilda was devastated when her son, Bernard Charles Hartland was taken away from her. She went to court and the court decision was that he would be given to his father's family. She mourned him all her life. We do not know the details of what happened in the marriage or why Bernard Charles was given to his father's family.
Hilda George was born on 10th Oct 1892 in Leeds, Yorkshire, England. She was the daughter of Thomas George born 1860 (a florist) & Martha A Holmes. In 1901 he lived in Anglesea Street, Leeds and was a florist/gardener.
The George family had three children, Maud Mary 1886, Percival 1888 (Possibly died in WW1) and Hilda 1892 - 1973.

Hilda Hartland married my grandfather Albert McCormack Nalder 1891 - 1986 on 18th March 1916 in Dover, Kent. Albert had been born in New Zealand, but worked his passage to England in WW1 and served in the Royal Navy in the Dover Patrol. Hilda & Albert's first child Mavis Joan Nalder was born in 1917 in Dover. At the end of the war Hilda & Albert returned to New Zealand and lived in and around Nelson. They had two more children Marthe Lauraine Nalder 1920 - 2015 & my father Thomas Percival Nalder 1921 - 1990.

We have photos of Hilda and her family, half brother and sisters to Bernard Charles Hartland.

I would be happy to correspond with you if there is any way you could supply me with a contact address.

Dale Caves (Nee Nalder)
New Zealand.

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 22:32 (2336 days ago) @ dbcaves@xtra.co.nz

This fills in a few details,

BNA Leeds Mercury - Wednesday 16 June 1915

THE FRUIT OF FOLLY. LEEDS WIFE’S APPEAL TO HER HUSBAND.

Mr. Justice Bargrave Deane, sitting in the Divorce Court, had before him yesterday the petition of Henry Bernard Hartland, a miller, of Reading, for a dissolution of his marriage with his wife, Mrs. Hilda Hartland, formerly Miss Hilda George, on the ground of her adultery with the correspondent, Wm. Thorn. The parties were married at Reading in October, 1911, and there was one child of the marriage. In 1913, the petitioner being ill, went home to his mother’s in Wales, and when he returned found that his wife had left home. In February, 1911, she returned, and remained in the house one night, then going home to her mother's in Leeds. She wrote him several letters from Leeds. Later certain information came to his notice and having made inquiries, he found that she had stayed with the co-respondent at a London hotel. He had received a letter from his wife in which she said:—
Before you divorce me, give me another chance. ... If you divorce me, I shall be ruined for life. Do not get a divorce; I love you. I have seen my folly, and I am sorry for it.

Evidence having been given that the respondent and co-respondent had stayed at a London hotel, his Lordship granted the petitioner a decree nisi, with the custody of the child.

BNA Western Mail - Wednesday 16 June 1915

FORMERLY OF WALES.

ABSENCE THERE FOLLOWED BY WIFE’S FALL.

A story described by counsel as so extraordinary that no one with common sense could believe it was told in the Divorce Court on Tuesday, when Henry Bernard Hartland, formerly living in Wales and now of Reading, was granted a decree for divorce on the ground of his wife's misconduct with a man named William Thorne. Until the case came into court Mrs. Hartland denied the allegation of misconduct, but now she had confessed. Mr. Le Bas (for the husband) told how some time ago Mr. Hartland went home to his mother in Wales and while was away his wife went away. She came back, but later left the petitioner, saying that she was going to her mother’s house in Leeds. It transpired subsequently that she went London. One evening the co-respondent met her in the Cafe d’Europe, Leicester-square, and took her to the Great Western Hotel, Paddington. There they had room and stayed the night. Thorne, it appeared, gave £5 her then and subsequently £4, but Mrs. Hartland had maintained that no misconduct took place. “That,” said counsel. ” is a story which I do not think will commend itself to your lordship or to anyone else possessed of common sense.” In a letter to her husband Mrs. Hartland said co-respondent was ” awfully well connected.” but “nothing whatever ever took place between them.” She had now confessed her misconduct.

Granting the husband a decree nisi, Mr. Justice Deane said the story was an odd one, and he could not understand how anybody could believe the plea originally put forward that Mrs. Hartland had gone with the co-respondent in the circumstances stated and that there was no misconduct between them.

Counsel for the wife applied for costs now that the suit was undefended, but his Lordship said if her solicitor Leeds wanted costs he must come to the court and explain how he came to believe the story.

Henry Bernard HARTLAND/Elsie May JANES

by m p griffiths @, Monday, July 02, 2012, 18:11 (4319 days ago) @ unknown

Isle of Wight Family History Society - website

http://www.isle-of-wight-fhs.co.uk/index.htm

Have a searchable births/marriages/deaths

6 deaths inc.

1985 - Henry Bernard HARTLAND - age 94 years and
Elsie May HARTLAND - other surnames JANES - 1988 age 87 years. (c1901) Ancestry : 9 January 1901

----

FreeBDM

Birth J/F/M Qtr 1901 - I of Wight

Elsie May JANES

Volume: 2b

Page: 606

-------

?

Freebdm

Marriage at Newport P - O/N/D Qtr 1923

Henry B HERTLAND
Elsie M JANES

---

Ancestry England & Wales, Marriage Index

Name: Elsie M JANES
Spouse Surname : HARTLAND (Henry B)

Registration District: Newport Pagnell

Inferred County: Buckinghamshire

Volume Number: 3a

Page Number: 2190

-----

1911 Census College Farm, Sandown, Isle of Wight
Cottage Farm, Avenue Road (living in 9 rooms) - married 35 years - 13 children born alive, 13 living.

JANES

John 60 - Farmer & Contractor, born Setley, Hants
Emma - 52 - born Ashey, IOW
Ernest - 24 - all born Sandown
Kate - 23
Florence - 21
Wilfred - 21
Albert - 19
Gilbert - 15
Harold - 12
Elsie - 10

---

Janes IOW

http://www.isle-of-wight-memorials.org.uk/war-graves/san/sandownxch_janes_sh.htm

RSS Feed of thread