The marriage of William Chapman & Ann Cooke (Parish Records)

by Denise Thompson @, Sydney, Australia, Wednesday, October 17, 2012, 04:12 (4203 days ago)

Hello Listers,
William Chapman married Ann Cooke at English Bicknor on 6 September 1832, and the transcript appears on the FOD Parish Register database. Witnesses were identified as William Cooke and his wife Eliza.
Register_Reference:P138 IN 1/8
Page_Number:56

I am very keen to obtain the signature of my convict ancestor William Cooke, and wonder whether this Parish Record has his signature, or whether it was simply recorded by the clerk or minister. If someone has ready access to the Register I would greatly appreciate a lookup, and if the document is signed by William Cooke, where do I apply for a copy?
Thanking you,
Denise Thompson
Sydney

The marriage of William Chapman & Ann Cooke

by tonyjenkins @, Wednesday, October 17, 2012, 09:29 (4202 days ago) @ Denise Thompson

Good Morning Denise

Unfortunately I cannot help with your request, but believe your William Cooke may be related to my Anna Cooke.

The family were involved with the Highnam estate 4km to the west of Gloucester

Anna married my 7x Great Grandfather Evan Jenkins at Newland on 4th June 1701. My research indicates that Anna was born about 1687 in Newent returning to Newent some time after the death of Evan in 1734. Anna died in 1758.

Anna Cooke was the daughter of Guiliamus (William) Cooke b 1643 d 1700. William was member of parliament for Gloucester in 1679.

Anna had three brothers Edward d abt. 1724 Dennis d 1747 (childless) and William
Cook(e) b abt 1680, it is his line I am currently tracing.

Following the death of Dennis the Highnam estate passed to one of his sisters who had married a Guise.

I will be in touch as I find more information.

Kind Regards

Tony Jenkins

by tonyjenkins @, Wednesday, October 17, 2012, 09:50 (4202 days ago) @ tonyjenkins

Hi Again Denise.

Forgot to say the sister of Dennis Cooke who married Henry Guise was Mary, she was a niece to my Anna Cooke.

Portraits of William Cooke b abt 1600 and his wife Anne Rowls were sold last year at Sotheby's estimate £30 - £40K.

The children of my Evan and Anna Cooke are Mary b 1704, Johes b 1705 (also a Cooke family name), William b 1707, Thomas b 1709 (the name of Evans father) Robert b 1712, Elizabeth b 1713 and Martha b 1714.

Regards

Tony

by Denise Thompson @, Sydney, Australia, Wednesday, October 17, 2012, 12:19 (4202 days ago) @ tonyjenkins

Thanks for your reply Tony. My William Cooke was a son of John Cook, a miller at Lydbrook, and his wife Amelia Morse, whose family held interests in coal mines in the Forest. Many years ago my 2nd cousin researched the Cooke family of Highnam, but so far we have not confirmed a link. If you feel we may share the Highnam family I would appreciate hearing further from you, and I am happy to share what I have.
Regards,
Denise

by grahamdavison @, Wednesday, October 17, 2012, 09:36 (4202 days ago) @ Denise Thompson

From the transcript it seems as though William Cooke did sign the register, but unfortunately I don`t have a copy to hand. I will be visiting Gloucester Archives in a weeks time and will photograph the entry and email it to you.

by Denise Thompson @, Sydney, Australia, Wednesday, October 17, 2012, 12:10 (4202 days ago) @ grahamdavison

Graham, thank you very much for your kind offer. I look forward to your email.
Regards, Denise

RSS Feed of thread