Death of William Vaughan (Parish Records)

by ron shier @, Thursday, November 29, 2012, 22:00 (4137 days ago)

From FOD Parish Records, there is the burial of William Vaughan from Oldcroft, aged 47 years buried at Lydney. I cannot find this death recorded in the GRO Records.
This William was the husband of Elizabeth nee Charles. Any help appreciated.

ron shier

sorry, I forgot to add the date of the burial. It was September 19th 1866
Ron s

Death of William VAUGHAN in 1866

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Thursday, November 29, 2012, 23:24 (4137 days ago) @ ron shier

From FOD Parish Records, there is the burial of William Vaughan from Oldcroft, aged 47 years buried at Lydney. I cannot find this death recorded in the GRO Records.
This William was the husband of Elizabeth nee Charles. Any help appreciated.

ron shier

sorry, I forgot to add the date of the burial. It was September 19th 1866
Ron s

when tracing records between 1837 and 1874 bear in mind that from 1837 civil registration was voluntary, from 1874 it became mandatory.

Year: 1866
Month: Sep
Day: 19
Surname: VAUGHAN
Forenames: William
Residence: Oldcroft
Age_at_death: years 47
Officiating_Minister: B.Philpot Vicar
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death: [margin
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P209 IN 1/12
Page_No: 81
Parish_Chapel: Lydney

Closest BMD I can get so far !

Name: William Vaughan
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1793
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1866
Age at Death: 73
Registration district: Chepstow
Inferred County: Monmouthshire
Volume: 11a
Page: 9

Probably relates to
William Vaughn abt 1795 Hewelsfield, Gloucestershire, England Head Hewelsfield, Gloucestershire
Mary Ann Vaughn abt 1794 Tidnam, Gloucestershire, England Wife Hewelsfield, Gloucestershire
Emma Vaughn abt 1839 Hewelsfield, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Hewelsfield, Gloucestershire
Mary Ann Vaughn abt 1842 Hewelsfield, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Hewelsfield, Gloucestershire
Thomas Vaughn abt 1842 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Grandson Hewelsfield, Gloucestershire

rather than, which I suspect you are interested in

William Vaughn abt 1820 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head West Dean, Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Vaughn abt 1820 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife West Dean, Gloucestershire
James Vaughn abt 1842 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son West Dean, Gloucestershire
William Vaughn abt 1848 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son West Dean, Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Vaughn abt 1851 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter West Dean, Gloucestershire
George Vaughn abt 1852 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son West Dean, Gloucestershire
David Vaughn abt 1855 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son West Dean, Gloucestershire
Mary Ann Faughn abt 1857 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter West Dean, Gloucestershire
Charlotte Faughn abt 1859 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter West Dean, Gloucestershire

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

by john vaughan @, Friday, November 30, 2012, 14:35 (4137 days ago) @ slowhands

Can this William Vaughan b1801 on my searches,be a possibility?
If so ,he was the 8th and last? child of William & Ann nee Williams.They were at Churchend hamlet Tidenham in 1841.

by ron shier @, Friday, November 30, 2012, 17:54 (4136 days ago) @ john vaughan

John, I do not know at this stage, much of the history of the Vaughan family before William Vaughan's marriage to Elizabeth Charles on 20th June 1840.Both party's gave their address as Yorkley Hundreds of St. Braviel. William's father is shown as William Vaughan - Labourer. The marriage took place in the Parish Church of St. Braviels. Does that tie in with anything you have?

Ron Shier

by ron shier @, Friday, November 30, 2012, 17:44 (4137 days ago) @ slowhands

Thanks for the info on William Vaughan. Your entry re the family layout where you state this one rather than the lower one, is in fact, the other way round. The bottom family is the one in question. I see that you have on that layout, some of the children referred to as FAUGHN. Maybe I will search the GRO Records under "F"
for William's death certificate. I will do that.
Ron Shier

William VAUGHAN - (CHARLES) - previous thread

by m p griffiths @, Friday, November 30, 2012, 15:41 (4137 days ago) @ ron shier

previous thread:

http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=36244

---

FOD records - Burial at Lydney - 19 September 1866
William VAUGHAN - residence: Oldcroft - age 47 years)

-----

1867 - 21 November

VAUGHAN William

Letters of Adminstration of the Personal estate and effects of William VAUGHAN late of Yorkley in the Township of West Dean in the County of Gloucester, Collier, deceased, who died 16 September 1866 at Yorkley aforesaid were granted at the Principal Registry to Elizabeth VAUGHAN of Yorkley aforesaid Widow the Relict of the said Deceased she having been first shown.

Effects under £100

-----

Looking at Gloucestershirebdm and the 1861 census - Oldcroft, few houses before the address is Slade Yorkley William VAUGHAN/Elizabeth - the mother's maiden name for the children was CHARLES

FOD Records

Marriage at St Briavels 20 June 1840

William VAUGHAN - bachelor, labourer : residence - Both of Yorkley (Hundred) of St Briavels

father: William VAUGHAN - Labourer

married

Elizabeth CHARLES - full age, Spinster,

father: Thomas CHARLES, Hollier (?)

witnesses: Richard CHARLES and Sarah GODWIN

---

1851 Census, Glos. West Dean, Oldcroft

VAUGHN

William - 31 - born Glos. St Briavels
Elizabeth - 31 - born West Dean
Emma - 10
James - 8
William - 3
Elizabeth - 12

William VAUGHAN - (CHARLES) - previous thread

by ron shier @, Friday, November 30, 2012, 18:12 (4136 days ago) @ m p griffiths

Your census findings on William Vaughan ar the same as mine, and I have the marriage certificate for William & Elizabeth which matches your input. I did have a slight problem at first in locating the marriage as William does not appear on the GRO Records. I had to get the details of Elizabeth Charles' marriage, and then scroll across to the Vaughan listing. William was not on the Vaughan list but is recorded as William VAUGHER. Slowhand has given a hint of where I might locate details on the GRO Records, he has shown some of William's children being named as Faughn. I will try that lead. It may have been a death that wasn't recorded officially!
Thanks for the other lead info.
Ron Shier

William VAUGHAN - James CHARLES/Ann PAGE

by m p griffiths @, Friday, November 30, 2012, 18:20 (4136 days ago) @ ron shier

Gloucestershirebdm have the marriage of William VAUGHAN to Elizabeth CHARLES - 1840

also for another family grouping....

Marriage at Parkend - 27 May 1848

James CHARLES, age 24, bachelor, residence: Oldcroft

father: Thomas CHARLES, Haulier,

married

Ann PAGE, age 20, Spinster, residence: Oldcroft

father: William PAGE, labourer

witnesses:

William VAUGHAN
Fanny CHARLES

--

1851 Census, West Dean Oldcroft

James CHARLES - 28 - Coal Miner - West Dean
Ann CHARLES - 19 - born Lydney

---

1841 Census, Lydney

Ann PAGE - 75 - not born in County
William - 35
George - 11
William - 4
Emma - 35
Ann - 9
Sarah - 7
Emma - 11 months
Sarah KEAR - 75

and

1841 Census, Oldcroft
Dean Forest

CHARLES

Thos - 53, labourer, all born in County
Mary - 52
William - 18
James - 16
George - 12
Fanny - 8
John - 6

William VAUGHAN - James CHARLES/Ann PAGE

by ron shier @, Saturday, December 01, 2012, 14:55 (4136 days ago) @ m p griffiths

I would like to thank the contributors to this link and FOD Records for their valuable assistance in answering my plea for help in finding the death of William Vaughan. It has been established that he died on September 16th 1866 whilst living at Oldcroft, and was buried in LYDNEY on September 19th 1866. His Will was also uncovered which was a bonus.
I regret to say, that so far, I have not located this death on the official GRO site, so cannot establish cause of death. I will keep researching that.
Useful information on the Charles family that William married into has also come forth, and this, together with information from the Halford family link have now given me quite a lot of filling in to do.
My thanks again. Ron Shier

Expanding Parish Records

by ron shier @, Monday, December 03, 2012, 23:19 (4133 days ago) @ ron shier

Having just printed off from FOD Parish Records a transcript of a burial of William Vaughan at Lydney in 1866, is it at all possible to gain access to the original records?
The reason I am asking is that his death 3 days earlier does not, for some reason, appear on GRO Records nor at Gloucestershire bdm and I am interestd in finding the cause of death.
The transcript I have printed has an entry against "cause of death" as (MARGIN.
So I am assuming that there is a comment in the margin of the page.
(Transcript ref: ID 26453 Register ref P209 IN 1/12 Page 81 Lydney)

Expanding Parish Records

by grahamdavison @, Tuesday, December 04, 2012, 09:53 (4133 days ago) @ ron shier

The margin note says "Killed by the fall of rubbish in a Quarry". I you click on my envelope I will send you a copy of the image.

RSS Feed of thread