Excellent newspaper resource for the Forest of Dean (General)

by richards @, Thursday, April 04, 2013, 17:39 (4040 days ago)

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/home

Searching for "Forest of Dean" brought up over 4000 entries, the original pages and text can be viewed including Miners Strikes, Murders, A Child Born in a Pig-Stye, Wednesday night an explosion occurred at the residence of an old man named Davies, a big charge of dynamite having been placed under the window and of course......

ATTACK ON FRENCHMEN. While four Frenchmen were oxhibiting two performing bears aear Cinderford, Forest of Dean, on Tuesday, an alarti, was raised that the animals had killed a child and seriously injured a woman. Tremendous excitement resulted, and a large number of colliers and the populcae generally started off in pursuit. After a long chase the bears were overtaken, and at once furiously attacked with sticks, stones, and other weapons. One of the poor brutes w.is beaten to death, and the other was shot. The Frenchmen were also attacked and severely beaten, until two escaped to the wcods, and the others, in a pitiable condition, were rescued by the police. The report which caused the alarm had no foundation in fact.

The Ruardean Bears saga - prior thread

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Thursday, April 04, 2013, 17:55 (4040 days ago) @ richards

ATTACK ON FRENCHMEN. While four Frenchmen were exhibiting two performing bears near Cinderford, Forest of Dean, on Tuesday, an alarm was raised that the animals had killed a child and seriously injured a woman. Tremendous excitement resulted, and a large number of colliers and the populace generally started off in pursuit. After a long chase the bears were overtaken, and at once furiously attacked with sticks, stones, and other weapons. One of the poor brutes was beaten to death, and the other was shot. The Frenchmen were also attacked and severely beaten, until two escaped to the wcods, and the others, in a pitiable condition, were rescued by the police. The report which caused the alarm had no foundation in fact.

http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=986

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Welsh Newspapers - "Mining Disaster at Cinderford"

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, April 14, 2013, 01:56 (4031 days ago) @ slowhands

Hi Richards,
a belated but heartfelt thanks to you for highlighting this excellent resource which I've found most usefull & enjoyable, plus it's completely free to use which is an unusual pleasure these days.
Just one other example is this one, from the Evening Express of October 17th 1892

"MINING DISASTER IN DEAN FOREST.
Thomas Evans was instantly killed and Joseph Taylor was seriously injured whilst working together on Friday evening in the Brickshaft Iron Mine at Ruspidge, near Cinderford, the property of Messrs. Henry Crawshay and Co. Deceased is a married man, 56 years of age, with a grown-up family, and his comrade is a young married man. They were working together getting mine when, without any warning, an immense stone slipped from a joint and fell upon the back of Evans's neck, doubling him up, and killing him instantly. The earth following the stone covered Taylor up to his neck almost, but, when extricated, he was still alive. The case of Taylor is painful, inasmuch as only a few months previously he was working with his father, who was killed in his presence on almost the same spot, whilst another brother was injured."

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3233302/ART17/cinderford

This report was presumably compiled from the official report of the Inquest that can be found within this FoD site.
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/inquests/php/popup.htm?../images/D157.png

Record_ID: 5555
Entry_Number: 157
Year: 1892
Month: Oct
Day: 18
Surname: EVANS
Forenames: Thomas
Residence: Soudley Cinderford
Age_at_death: 59 years
Officiating_Minister: J. H. N. Barton Curate
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P85/1 IN 1/14
Page_No: 20
Parish_Chapel: Cinderford St John
Soundex: E152

Record_ID: 5481
Entry_Number: 86
Month: Feb
Day: 23
Surname: TAYLOR
Forenames: William
Residence: Soudley Cinderford
Age_at_death: 62 years
Officiating_Minister: J. H. N. Barton Curate
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P85/1 IN 1/14
Page_No: 11
Soundex: T460

Record_ID: 3281
Entry_Number: 417
Year: 1887
Month: Apr
Day: 1
Grooms_Surname: TAYLOR
Grooms_Forenames: Joseph
Grooms_Age: 23
Groom_Condition: Bachelor
Grooms_Occupation: Miner
Grooms_Residence: Soudley Cinderford
Grooms_Fathers_Surname: Taylor
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames: William
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation: Miner
Brides_Surname: EVANS
Brides_Forenames: Elizabeth
Brides_Age: 23
Brides_Condition: Spinster
Brides_Occupation: [not stated]
Brides_Residence: Charlton Kings
Brides_Fathers_Surname: Evans
Brides_Fathers_Forenames: John
Brides_Fathers_Occupation: Miner
Licence_or_Banns: Banns
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: Both sign
Witness_1: Harriet Knight
Witness_2: John Evans
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: W[illia]m Lynes Vicar
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P85/1 IN 1/5
Page_Number: 209
Soundex_Groom: T460
Soundex_Bride: E152

Thanks again kind Sir !

Welsh Newspapers - Sad Times for the Colemans of Longhope

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 00:31 (3924 days ago) @ Jefff

Further to a recent post about the Colemans of Longhope, I thought these newspaper articles might be of interest, a bad few years for the family.

From the Monmouthshire Merlin, 26 April 1878.

"SAD DEATH OF A GENTLEMAN.
On Sunday morning Mr Solomon Coleman, solicitor, of Longhope, Gloucestershire, died from the effects of an accident which occurred on Good Friday night, when on his way from a visit to a friend. The deceased gentleman had earlier in the day gone to "the Point," and at ten o'clock at night was conveyed as far as the Lea on his way home, when he cut a point by walking through Blenheim playground, which involves the descent of a number of steps, some eight feet, to again reach the roadway. Being dark, he became confused, and fell down the steps. Some bushes at the bottom broke the fall, or death migh have been instant. He however managed to crawl to the top again, where he remained two hours in heavy rain and endeavoured to call for assistance. At one o'clock Mr Fitzmaurice, Blenheim-house, was retiring to bed, when he thought he heard groans, and going down with a light, discovered Mr Coleman almost dead, and having lifted him in the house, sent for a carriage, and he was conveyed home, where he was attended by Dr Abell, of Mictheldean and died, as stated, on Sunday morning. He was frightfully bruised, but sensible. His son-in-law, Mr Price, bank manager at Bristol, with his daughterse were telegraphed for, the deceased gentleman being a widower. At the inquest, a verdict of accidental death was returned.

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3440193/ART129/longhope%20coleman

From this site's PRs:

Record_ID: 22014
Entry_Number: 205
Year: 1878
Month: Apl
Day: 26
Surname: COLEMAN
Forenames: Solomon
Residence: Longhope
Age_at_death: 71
Officiating_Minister: F.C. Guise Vicar
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P206 IN 1/11
Page_No: 26
Parish_Chapel: Longhope
Soundex: C455

and possibly

Record_ID: 8326
Entry_Number: 53
Year: 1830
Month: Sep
Day: 20
Grooms_Surname: COLEMAN
Grooms_Forenames: Solomon
Grooms_Age:
Grooms_Occupation:
Grooms_Residence: Longhope in the County of Gloucester
Grooms_Fathers_Surname:
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames:
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation:
Brides_Surname: DRINKWATER
Brides_Forenames: Mary Ann
Brides_Age:
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: of this parish
Brides_Fathers_Surname:
Brides_Fathers_Forenames:
Brides_Fathers_Occupation:
Licence_or_Banns: Licence
Date_of_Banns:
Witness_1: Joseph Drinkwater
Witness_2: Sarah Drinkwater
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: John Morse Rector
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P184 IN 1/5
Page_Number: 18
Parish_Chapel: Huntley
Soundex_Groom: C455
Soundex_Bride: D652

And from the Inquest Section
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/inquests/php/popup.htm?../images/B193.png

==================

An even sadder story, two articles in the same Cardiff Times, 18 September 1875

"A BRUTAL ATTACK.
At Longhope, a brutal assault was committed on Monday week, on Thomas Coleman, Longhope, in Dean Forest. The Rev. Mr Dighton, justice of the peace, attended at complainant's house on Thursday, and from a story told him by Coleman, three men were at once arrested and remanded till Monday. They will be taken before the injured man in order that he may have an opportunity of identifying them. Coleman, who is confined to his bed, has lost the sight* of one eye, one rib is broken, and an arm and a leg are disabled. He is under the care of Dr Jones, but is not considered in immediate danger."

"LITTLE DEAN.
A BRUTAL ATTACK.
At the Petty Sessional Court, on Monday, before Capt. Goold, the Rev C. E Dighton and Mr E. Crawshay, the men in custody for the brutal attack on Thos Coleman of Longhope, noticed in our columns on Monday, are William and Timothy Bennett, of Stump-hill, East Dean, quarrymen, and Frank Bosley, of Abinghall, collier. They were taken before Mr Dighton to the house of the injured man on Saturday, and he identified them as being the men who committed the assault, but in consequence of Coleman being still unable to attend the Court, they were remanded till Monday next."

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3419685/ART41/longhope%20coleman

Welsh Newspapers - "Roping Newlyweds", a Forest Custom ?

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, October 27, 2013, 22:11 (3834 days ago) @ Jefff

Has anyone else heard of this old Forest "marriage custom", seems very odd, or is it ?

From the Cardiff Evening Express, 7th January 1893.

"MARRIAGE CUSTOMS IN DEAN FOREST.
"Roping" the Bridal Carriage.

At Little Dean Petty Sessions on Friday (before Sir T. H. Crawley Boevey, in the chair Messrs. M. W. Colchester Wemyss, Arnold Thomas, A. C. Bright, and T. B. Brain).
George Gazzard and Frederick Thomas, respectably-dressed young men, of Flaxley Meend, Cinderford, were summoned by Police-constable Baker for obstructing the highway at that place on December 29. According to the evidence of a constable and a coachman, named Edward Payne, from the Fleece Hotel, Miss Cullimore was married at St. Stephen's Church, at Cinderford, on the morning in question, and as they were being driven home from church the defendants, each having hold of a rope which was stretched across the street, intercepted them, and the roadway was blocked.
The driver forced his way through, dragging defendants 30 yards along the street behind his vehicle. It was suggested that this was done in order to induce the "happy man "to give the people money for drink. Defendants indignantly repudiated this last allegation they were neighbours of the bride, and what they did was for fun — it was the custom to "rope" wedding folks in Dean Forest — The Chairman said the custom was as bad as it could be, and ought to be put down. Defendants, however, must pay 6s. 3d. costs each, and come up when called upon."

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3235241/ART50/dean%20forest%20wedding

I think this is the Marriage in question;

Record_ID: 24968
Entry_Number: 30
Month: Dec
Day: 29
Grooms_Surname: TRIGG
Grooms_Forenames: Frederick
Grooms_Age: 26
Grooms_Occupation: Plumber
Grooms_Residence: St. Mary Magdalene Paddington London
Grooms_Fathers_Surname: Trigg
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames: Henry
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation: Nursery-man
Brides_Surname: CULLIMORE
Brides_Forenames: Georgina Mary
Brides_Age: 26
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: Flaxley R[oa]d Cinderford
Brides_Fathers_Surname: Cullimore
Brides_Fathers_Forenames: Charles Hook
Brides_Fathers_Occupation: Water Bailiff
Licence_or_Banns: Banns
Date_of_Banns: [not stated]
Witness_1: George Martin
Witness_2: Mary Caroline Clark
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: C.W. Houlston
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P85/2 1N 1/6
Page_Number: 15
Parish_Chapel: Cinderford St Stephen
Soundex_Groom: T620
Soundex_Bride: C456

Has anyone else heard of this "tradition" ?.
Seems to me that "roping" the bridegroom should be part of a Western "shotgun wedding", perhaps ?

by shepway @, Monday, October 28, 2013, 10:04 (3834 days ago) @ Jefff

It used to be a tradition in my younger days and in fact it happened when we married. It was expected of the bridegroom to throw a few coins from the car and it would then be allowed to pass. I would hasten to add that in our case it was not a shotgun wedding!

Mike

by maurice @, Monday, October 28, 2013, 11:20 (3834 days ago) @ shepway

I too can confirm that this was an old Forest custom.After my wedding at Flaxley in 1956,youngsters held a rope across the road and I threw a handful of coins to them as I was prepared for this event.As like shepway it was not a "shotgun wedding".
Maurice

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, October 28, 2013, 12:19 (3833 days ago) @ maurice

Well well, many thanks gents for confirming this was a true tradition and not just over-enthusiastic journalism, very interesting indeed and great fun too. Such a shame these things die out, perhaps encouraged by the unsympathetic views of some of those who uphold the law. Perhaps it failed in this instance because the groom was from London, was unaware of the tradition, and maybe even thought he was being mugged ?

No I realise they weren't "forced" marriages, but my youth was mis-spent watching too many Western films where the phrase "roping" took on a slighgtly different meaning so I'm afraid I couldn't get that cowboy image out of my head.

Thanks again.

Barring the Way and other customs

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, October 28, 2013, 12:47 (3833 days ago) @ Jefff

Well well, many thanks gents for confirming this was a true tradition and not just over-enthusiastic journalism, very interesting indeed and great fun too. Such a shame these things die out, perhaps encouraged by the unsympathetic views of some of those who uphold the law. Perhaps it failed in this instance because the groom was from London, was unaware of the tradition, and maybe even thought he was being mugged ?

No I realise they weren't "forced" marriages, but my youth was mis-spent watching too many Western films where the phrase "roping" took on a slighgtly different meaning so I'm afraid I couldn't get that cowboy image out of my head.

Thanks again.

I suspect this was a local variation on the old customs like Barring the way, Handfasting (tying the knot ?) and jumping a besom.

http://www.snopes.com/weddings/customs/barring.asp

http://www.brideandgroom.com/wedding-articles/wedding-traditions-2.asp

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/history/tying_the_knot_handfasting_through_the_ages.shtml
http://medievalscotland.org/history/handfasting.shtml

In centuries gone by, handfasting was a popular custom in the British Isles.

http://www.llewellyn.com/journal/article/1358

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, October 28, 2013, 14:59 (3833 days ago) @ slowhands

Cheers S, some interesting stuff there. I knew of the old knot-tying tradition but besom jumping is a new one to me, very Halloween-esque. I was surprised one of those sites (American?) refers to "the ever-popular car horn honking" as I've never experienced that in the UK although I know it is VERY popular indeed in France and no doubt elsewhere, it's good to now know why (to ward off evil spirits). The French also decorate their cars with paper flowers, dozens of them, far more attractive than the swathes of toilet paper we used as 70s boys. I also recall using the old dap(plimsoll) shoe whitener "sticks" to write Good Luck messages on the honeymoon cars, until we found it can stain car paintwork !

One old tradition these sites seem to have ommitted is the "lucky" chimney sweep which we had in 1991 Banbury, does this still happen in the Forest ?.

"Tradition has it that 200 years ago, a chimney Sweep saved the life of King George II by stopping his runaway horse and carriage. The King issued a Royal Decree that Chimney Sweeps are bringers of luck and should be treated with the greatest of respect. So started the tradition and because sweeps are lucky, couples would arrange to meet the sweep at their Wedding."

I see these modern times have also created an online niche business, and Wye knot ?
http://www.luckychimneysweeps.co.uk/

by winky @, Winelands, South Africa, Tuesday, October 29, 2013, 08:08 (3833 days ago) @ Jefff

I remember well the custom of roping the road for coins to be thrown. It was all good hearted with no ill intent and good fun. I also remember it was considered very lucky to see a chimney sweep on your wedding day, and some people even arranged for this to happen!

Welsh Newspapers site Updated, now includes WW1 period

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Friday, February 14, 2014, 00:30 (3725 days ago) @ winky

The excellent Welsh Newspapers website has just been updated, and significantly for this year the site's coverage has been extended so that many of the titles also now include the First World War.

"More than 200,000 new pages have been added to Welsh Newspapers Online, as we release 27 publications titles from the Library’s rich collection on Welsh Newspapers Online.
The resource now allows you to search and read over 630,000 pages from almost 100 newspaper publications from the National Library’s collection, and this will grow to over one million pages as more publications are added during 2014.
Among the latest titles are Y Negesydd, Caernarvon and Denbigh Herald, Glamorgan Gazette, Carmarthen Journal, Welshman, and Rhondda Leader, not forgetting Y Drych, the weekly newspaper for the Welsh diaspora in America.
The resource also includes some publications that were digitised for The Welsh Experience of World War One project."

The full list of newspapers within the online library is here, with new additions highlighted. http://www.llgc.org.uk/index.php?id=4723

Those new additions which may be of particular interest to us include the
Abergavenny Chronicle, Barry Dock News, Brecon County Times, Glamorgan Gazette, Herald of Wales and Monmouthshire Recorder, Monmouth Guardian, and the South Wales Weekly Post.
All of these cover the First World War period.

Search this excellent free site from http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/home

Searchers with particular years in mind can use the site's filters so as to only search within that chosen year. As a starter I've just searched "Cinderford", my home town, and have found the following articles which I hope are of interest:

From "The Brecon & Radnor Express", 9th September 1915;

"Notes and Notions.
Among the 1st Herefords reported killed and wounded in the Dardanelles are several men from Radnorshire. They are :-Killed, Private J. W. Turner (Knighton), Private G. Morgan (Rhayader), and Sergeant Raymond (Ross); and wounded, Sergeant G. Stinton (Knighton), Private J. E. Edwards (Builth), Corporal F. Booth and Private Wallace Burgess (Presteign), Private C. E. Evans (Old Radnor), Private C. G. Lane and Private E. Cresswell (Cinderford), and Corporal H. Thomas (Knighton)."

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/4093820/ART53/cinderford

And, by coincidence from the same title, but 11 January 1917;

"Lloiney Hero.
THE LATE SERGT. W. ADAMS.
A young officer of great courage, daring, and ability, well-known at Lloiney and throughout the Teme Valley, has fallen in France in the person of Sergt. W. Adams who was the son of Mr and Mrs Adams, of Cinderford, Gloucestershire, and the nephew of Mr and Mrs John Jones, The Birches, Lloiney. He had been recommended for the D.C.M which is a clear indication of his valour and heroism. He had only arrived in Canada a short time before war broke out, but he was amongst the first to volunteer for the service of the old country and, after receiving the necessary training, which was completed in England, he was sent to France, where he took part in several hot engagements, ultimately falling in action on November 28th. He was a young man who was very highly respected, and much sympathy goes out to all the bereaved friends and relatives, who are to be congratulated on the fact that their loved one was deemed worthy of the coveted honour of the Distinguished Conduct Medal".

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/4094455/ART68/Lloiney%20Hero

(NB Lloiney is near Knighton, Powys)

====================================================================================

I wish to take this opportunity to express sincere thanks to Messrs Davies & Drinkwater for their considerable efforts in compiling this site's newest addition, the Forest of Dean WW1 Servicemen database. This is a huge undertaking and it goes without saying that all three of the above Forest soldiers are included. Thanks Martin & David.

Welsh Newspapers: Mothering Sunday, Part 1

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, March 30, 2014, 15:05 (3680 days ago) @ Jefff

During my Forest childhood in the 60s & 70s Mothering Sunday was an important event, making gifts and cards at Primary and Sunday School, and giving our flowers and especially "best behaviour" on the day itself.

I was therefore a little surprised to only find a few articles about it reported by the many and various Welsh Newspapers across the decades, albeit all beautifully written, and showing interesting changes of reporting styles and emphasis over the passing years;

Cardiff and Merthyr Guardian, Glamorgan, Monmouth, and Brecon Gazette, 29th March 1862;
MIDLENT, OR "MOTHERING SUNDAY."
This day received its appellative of Midlent Sunday, because it is the fourth, or middle Sunday between Quadragesima, or the first Sunday in Lent, and Easter Sunday, by which latter, the Lenten season is governed. Several of our ecclesiastical writers denominate it Dominica Refectionis, or the Sunday of Refreshment, a term considered to have been applied to it from the Gospel of the day, treating of our Saviour's miraculous feeding of the five thousand, and from the first lesson in the morning, containing the relation of Joseph entertaining his brethren. But the common or vulgar appellation which this day still retains, is Mothering Sunday, a term expressive of the ancient usage of visiting the Mother (Cathedral) Churches of the several dioceses, when voluntary offerings— then denominated Denarii Quadrageminales, now the Lent or Easter offerings—were made, which by degrees were settled into an annual composition, or pecuniary payments charged on the parochial priests, who were presumed to have received these oblations from their respective congregations. We yet also retain the ancient epistle for Midlent Sunday, which expressly alludes to Jerusallem, the mother of all Christian Churches (Cowel, &c., &c). The public processions formerly usual on this Sunday, have been discontinued since the middle of the 13th century, and the contributions made upon that occasion, settled into the present trifle paid by the people under the title of Easter offerings but the name of Mothering Sunday is still not inaptly applied to this day, and a custom which was substituted by the commonalty, is yet practised in many places, particularly in Cheshire, of visiting their natural mother, instead of the Mother Church, and presenting to her small tokens of their filial affection, either in money or trinkets, or more generally in some species of regale, such as frunety, fermety, or frumenty, so called from frumentum (wheat being its principal ingredient), which being boiled in the whole grain, and mixed with sugar, milk, spice, and sometimes with the addition of raisins or currants, form altogether an agreeable repast. This mark of filial respect has long since been abolished in the South, though another custom to which it gave way, of the landlords of public-houses presenting messes of this nature to the families who regularly dealt with them, is much within the memory of many persons yet living.— Brady's Clavis Calendaria

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3093058/ART26/mothering%20sunday

Cardiff Weekly Mail, 24th March 1894;
"PALM SUNDAY AT CARDIFF.
[BY OUR LADY CORRESPONDENT]
It seems to be a very old custom, that of decorating the graves with flowers on Palm Sunday — Flowering Sunday, as it is called — in Welsh parishes. Doubtless the people, who have ever been an intensely religious tendency, had the strewing of palms and leaves before Christ in their mind, and the connection between strewing flowers on the graves of those whom they love to think of is not far to seek. In country districts, for days before Palm Sunday, the woods and hedges are rifled of the few blossoms that have blown by little busy fingers, who weave them lovingly into wreaths, and in every cottage there are plants tenderly watched and watered and nurtured for the day. It is to me far more pathetic to see a broken tumbler, with a humble little root of violets or snowdrops carried so carefully and placed on the grave so lovingly, than to see a tomb covered with costly wreaths woven by hired hands, or pots of gorgeous azaleas or lilies bought on Saturday at the florist's, and often placed on the family tomb by servants. I remember, years ago, in the little town of Crickhowell, the school children had two, if not three, days' holiday this week to be free to collect flowers, and they used to bring them to the school-house to arrange, and there was always a table covered with flowers and wreaths "for the forgotten dead"— those whose graves bore no tombstone, whose very names were forgotten, and where no mourners ever came to look. I thought it was such a touching thought. In England it is also a fairly general custom, though subject to variations of ceremonial. In Somerset and Devon, and possibly other districts, the day is called "Mothering Sunday," and girls in service or any kind of situation go home to see their mothers and take them presents. Palm Sunday observance is decidedly on the increase as far as this district is concerned. The florists tell me they have never sold so many flowers, or had so many orders for costly wreaths. One shop is crammed in profusion with the costliest cut flowers — orchids, delicate, white, and yellow roses, and pink ones. Lilies of every species are booked and being made up into lovely wreaths and crosses as fast as fingers can work. A lovely silvery moss was shown me as a background for crosses, and nineteen hundredweight of cut flowers were delivered on Thursday there. In other shops the flowers extend beyond the available space in rich abundance, and the supply is not greater than the demand. Up in Roath and in Canton the homely potato and green cabbage are shoved out of sight to make room for flowers of every kind, and plants, lilies, tulips, speirea, arums, seem the favourite white blossoms. Violets and daffodils are being sold in handfuls, ard about the small streets carts of flowers are going round and being quickly purchased evenby the very poorest."

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3369137/ART55/mothering%20sunday

Welsh Newspapers: Mothering Sunday, Part 2

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, March 30, 2014, 15:41 (3680 days ago) @ Jefff

Some of us complain nowadays about how commercialism has taken hold of our special days, it seems that this isn't just a modern phenomenon !

Aberystwyth Observer, 17th March 1892;
"MOTHERING SUNDAY.
In olden times in certain parts of England it was the custom for folk to attend the parish church on Mid-Lent Sunday for the purpose of making offering. This Sunday was sometimes known as Refresh- ment Sunday, from the fact that the gospel for the day was the story of the miracle of the feeding of the 5000. This custom gave rise to another custom, for on the same day children used to visit their parents, taking simnel cakes with them as a gift. And as it was the mothers that these presents were usually intended for, this Sunday was called Mothering Sunday. In certain districts of the northern and midland counties of England, simnel cakes are still eaten on this Mid-Lent Sunday."

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3045966/ART85/mothering%20sunday

Cardiff Times 4th April 1903;
"Mothering Sunday is passed, and good and faithful affectionate children have joined once more in the custom of carrying mothering cakes. This quaint and pretty custom is still popular in Monmouthshire and some portions of Wales, but it is not general, and we seem to hear less and less of the Simnel cakes and Mothering Sunday. More's the pity, for it is the custom which is not so liable to abuse as the observance of Palm Sunday, which readers will not need to be told falls to-morrow. In South Wales the beautiful custom of decorating the graves on Palm Sunday has sadly degenerated into a practice of a most regrettable character. It has been robbed of all its beauty and true significance by the lavish way in which money is spent upon flowers, not so much out of respect for the dead as in competition with the living. Palm Sunday has grown into a huge flower contest, and the whole populace frequent the cemeteries in anything but a reverential and orderly spirit. It is a day of revelry and of noisy talk, more approaching a fair-time than the places of the dead. Indeed, to such extremes has the regrettable practice been carried that the question of closing the graveyards and cemeteries on Palm Sunday has been seriously discussed. A beautiful custom has been sadly degraded, and money is spent in a competitive spirit and for show which should properly go for food for children or on clothing for their backs. It is noted, too, that graves neglected the whole year round suddenly receive attention a few days prior to Palm Sunday, when they are smothered with costly flowers. Flowering Sunday has lost nearly all its beautiful significance, and the noisy revel in and around the graveyards is most unseemly."
http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3415182/ART130/mothering%20sunday

South Wales Weekly Post, 29th March 1919;
"MUMBLES MOTHERS.
Mid Lent Sunday, which is widely known in various parts of the country as Mother- ing Sunday," is very little known in this part of the world, and many people have never even heard of it. Mrs Harold Williams, wife of the Vicar of Oystermouth, is endeavouring to make it more widely known and observed, and on Thursday evening a meeting of mothers was held in the Parish Hall, Mumbles, when Mrs Williams gave a pleasing and interesting account of the origin of the custom. In the Jewish Church the Jews always endeavoured to visit the Temple on this day, and following that the early Christians used to visit their Mother Church on the date. Each mother receiving a small cake named a "Semmel" cake. The aim of Mrs Williams' address was to show the need of unity in the Church and home. During the evening a charming little play, entitled "In praise of Mother," was performed by the following ciiildren: - Joyce Moore, Freda Parry, Ivy Arthurs, Nettie Tarr, Molly and Irene Oakey, Jacy Tarr, and Eric Stephens, wbile appropriate songs were given by Miss Naylor."

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/4110905/ART28/mothering%20sunday

I hope all the Mothers in our lives, be they past, present or expecting, enjoy very pleasant Mothering Sundays - not to mention all the other Sundays too !

by Gill @, Thursday, February 19, 2015, 05:02 (3355 days ago) @ shepway

The story I got from my mother was that her grandmother ,Sarah Browning walked to St Johns Church Cinderford to be married to avoid the old custom of Viney Hill of roping the couple on the way to the church to make them throw money to the crowd.She married Robert Biddington Lowe 1st March 1873. As their first child was born the following month it must have been quite a tiring day!

Gill

Welsh News - Drowning of Bride's father, Charles Cullimore

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, January 26, 2015, 00:57 (3379 days ago) @ Jefff

The above Marriage Record from 1892 quotes the bride's father to be Charles Hook Cullimore, water bailiff. It appears he was drowned on the Severn ten years later as this report shows, despite being highly-experienced watermen, a devastating tragedy to the local community.
A hundred years or so later a Forest schoolfriend of mine drowned in a boating accident on the Severn, he was also experienced and well-equipped, but a River with such a huge tidal range as the Severn is never "safe".

From the Cardiff Times of 22nd November 1902;

"ENGULPHED IN MUD.
Two Men Drowned in the Severn
A disaster involving the loss of two occurred in the Severn on Friday evening. On the morning of that day Walter Prosser, Primrose Hill, Lydney, foreman water bailiff, Charles Cullimore, of Brookend, Woolaston water bailiff, and Thomas Jordan, of the same address, farmer and fisherman, crossed the river in a boat (the property of Cullimore), from the neighbourhood of Woolaston Station to Oldbury-upon-Severn, the river at that point being four miles wide. As the tide was then pretty well run out they anchored their boat aboat a mile from the shore and proceeded to OlobOj? upou business. They returned to the river side at flood time, soon after 4 o'clock, and started to walk along the sand to their boat. Prosser, who drew ahead, discovered that his mates, particularly Jordan, were encountering some difficulties owing to the depth of mud. He called upon them to come along, and in due course he reached the boat, which was still high and dry. His friends were then a hundred yards bebind and as the tide had by this time begun to surround the boat he implored them to make haste. Their reply was an entreaty to him to bring boat, but as the craft was a heavy one it was impossible to push her off. Every moment the tide grew stronger, and in a very short time men were overwhelmed and drowned. They were practically engulphed in the mud, which held fast, preventing any possible means of escape. As soon as Prosser's boat floated he pulled up to the spot and remained there a couple of hours after which he landed at the Hayward, anchored his boat, and proceeding to a farmhouse obtained assistance. Returning to the scene of the disaster he waited for the water to go down, found Cullimore's body just after midnight about 400 yards from where the accident happened. The body was conveyed to the Anchor Inn. Some hours afterwards the body of Jordan was recovered from the river at a spot about 200 yards farther away. It was not till 1 o'clock on Saturday afternoon that tidings of the occurrence reached Woolastone. Jordan, who was about 60 years of age, leaves a widow. He was a member of the School Board, the Parish Council, Lydney Rural District Council, Chepstow Board of Guardians. He was well known and much respected. Cullimore was a native of Woolaston, and had been in the employ of the Severn Board of Conservators for many years. He was under 50 years oi age, and leaves a widow.

Cuillimore's Self-Sacrifice.
Dr. E. M. Grace, coroner, held an inquest at Oldbury-on-Severn on Monday afternoon, on the bodies of Charles Cullimore and Thomas Jordan, who were drowned on Friday evening in the River Seven. Deceased were both of the same age, 60 years, their birthdays being only four days apart. Cullimore was a water bailiff in the employ of the Severn Board of Conservancy whilst Jordan was a farmer, who also did a little fishing. It appears that the deceased, in tbeír excursion across the water, were joined by Walter Prosser, of Lydney, foreman water bailiff. The watermen bad business at Oldbury with the local waterman, Mr Hennes, as to relieving Cullimore, who had injured his leg and needed a rest, whilst the farmer intended to purchase some fish basket wood. As they started late, they could not get their craft nearer than a mile from the shore. As it was nearly the top of the spring, with a tide of 27 feet, the party arranged to leave Oldbury for their boat about 3 o'clock in order to be in good time, as the flood at that point runs up very swiftly. Prosser reached the boat, but Jordan was a bad walker, and lost time floundering in the mud. Cullimoro returned to him several times, and helped him along. When they found it was impossible to make the boat, they hesitated for a few minutes, and then started for the shore — an impossible task, as the water was already upon them. Cullimore sacrificed his life for his friend. — The witnesses were Walter Prosser, Alfred Till, and Thos. Hennes. Verdict. "Accidentally drowned."

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3421342/ART75/lydney

I think this is the correct burial record for Walter Prosser (not a rare name !);

Record_ID: 68978
Entry_Number: 711
Year: 1902
Month: Nov
Day: 19
Surname: JORDAN
Forenames: Thomas
Residence: Garfield Villa Woolaston
Age_at_death: 60 years
Officiating_Minister: J Jones Officiating Minister
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P12 IN 1/8
Page_No: 89
Parish_Chapel: Alvington
Soundex: J635

by luketaylor89 @, Monday, October 05, 2015, 21:40 (3126 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi

I have just come across your post whilst looking for information on my ancestor, William Taylor (great great great grandfather) who was killed in 1892 as mentioned in your post. I would be very interested to find out which of Joseph's brothers were injured when William was killed?

Thanks for the info

Luke

by ChrisW @, Monday, October 05, 2015, 22:39 (3126 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi all

Does anyone have a sub to the the British Newspaper Archives please?

There are a couple of mentions of the accident involving William Taylor which may give Luke an answer to his question.

Gloucestershire Chronicle Gloucestershire, England

20 Feb 1892
FOREST OF DEAN DISTRICT

Yesterday William Taylor, married, with large family, was killed by large stone falling on him while working in the Buckshaft Iron Mine.
View article
Type: Article

---------------------------------

Gloucester Citizen Gloucestershire, England

23 Feb 1892
CINDERFORD

the deaths of two men, Edwin a horse tender, working at Foxes Bridge lliam Ta lor m, working Buckshaft Iron Mme. Mr. Donald Bain, sub-inspector ot mines for the south-western district, and Mr G H Kowhnson miners' agent, wero present at both SiS death CaS6
View article
Type: Article

Many Thanks
Chris

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Monday, October 05, 2015, 23:26 (3126 days ago) @ ChrisW

If it’s of any help I have these two,

Gloucester Journal - Saturday 27 February 1892

CINDERFORD. The Colliery Fatalities Dean Forest.—Mr. M. F. Carter, coroner for the West of Gloucester, held two inquests Monday night, in the neighbourhood of Cinderford, touching the deaths of two men, Edwin George, a horse tender, working at Foxes Bridge Colliery, and William Taylor, miner, working at Buckshaft Iron Mine, Mr. Donald Bain, sub-inspector mines for the south-western district, and Mr. G. H. Rowlinson, miners’ agent, were present at both inquiries. In each case the jury returned a verdict of accidental death.

Gloucestershire Chronicle - Saturday 20 February 1892

Fatalities Dean Forest.— Edwin George, aged 34, labourer, was killed while shunting trucks at Foxes Bridge Colliery on Thursday. Leaves a widow seven children. Yesterday William Taylor, married, with large family, was killed by large stone falling on him while working in the Buckshaft Iron Mine.

by shepway @, Tuesday, October 06, 2015, 10:13 (3126 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Information is also available on this site under Inquests. (See Resources)

Mike

by luketaylor89 @, Tuesday, October 06, 2015, 19:39 (3125 days ago) @ shepway

Hi all

Thank you for all of your help! I have read the information regarding the inquests on this site and have tried searching for anything related to William Taylor's death, as well as that of Thomas Evans. I would love to know which of William's sons was injured when he died if possible?

Thanks

Luke

by ChrisW @, Tuesday, October 06, 2015, 19:30 (3125 days ago) @ Jefff

Many Thanks Mike and shepway.

Unfortunately it looks like we will be unable to answer Luke's question regarding which of Joseph Taylor's brothers saw their father die in an accident earlier in the year.

"The case of (Joseph)Taylor is painful, inasmuch as only a few months previously he was working with his father (William Taylor), who was killed in his presence on almost the same spot, whilst another brother was injured."

Sorry Luke!

ChrisW

by luketaylor89 @, Tuesday, October 06, 2015, 19:41 (3125 days ago) @ ChrisW

Hi Chris

Oh well, if it was that easy it would be boring I suppose!

Cheers
Luke

by shepway @, Tuesday, October 06, 2015, 21:01 (3125 days ago) @ luketaylor89

Taking a list of sons born to William Taylor from GlosBMD we have:
Alfred born 1852
William born 1856
Thomas Frederick born 1860
Joseph born 1863
Edwin born 1869
Hubert born 1871
Henry born 1874

Alfred died in 1895. At time of 1891 Census he is a Collier living at Brains Green.
William is found in 1881 & 1891 Census as a Police Constable.
Thomas Frederick died in 1930 at Worrall Hill, Lydbrook. In 1891, 1901 and 1911 a Coal Miner living in Lydbrook area.
Joseph is an Iron Miner at time of 1891 Census and living very near his father.
Edwin. Not yet found in 1891 Census. There is a possible in South Wales.
Hubert is an Iron Miner in 1891 and with his father. In 1901 and 1911 he is to be found in Yorkshire.
Henry died in 1875 aged 5 months.

From this Hubert is the most likely son to have been injured in the accident in 1891.

Mike

HiWelsh Newspapers - "Mining Disaster at Cinderford"

by luketaylor89 @, Tuesday, October 06, 2015, 21:36 (3125 days ago) @ shepway

Hi Mike

Thanks for that, it's a big help. My great great grandfather was Thomas Frederick, I have seen that Hubert moved to Doncaster with his family.

Luke

RSS Feed of thread